Thread poster: Diana Kokoszka
Diana Kokoszka
Diana Kokoszka
United States
Local time: 06:50
Polish to English
+ ...
Aug 2, 2019

Recently a small agency contacted me to translate a driver license for them. I checked out the agency. Turned out it is 1 employee company. The contact person did not like the formatting of my translation so I corrected it for him. We were in contact via e-mail, phone and he even text messaged me. Today he asks me for a signature on the translation. I do not like sharing my signature everywhere. Is it a standard to sign your translations?

[Edited at 2019-08-02 16:52 GMT]

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 18:50
Chinese to English
+ ...
Ask them for the reason? Aug 2, 2019

Why don't you ask them why they need it? It's likely that they think they need it for a legitimate reason, and I think the real concern is less that they will have your signature, and more that your signature actually does not suffice for their purpose.

As for what you're thinking about, that's not a concern. They could have gotten your signature much more easily by asking you to sign a contract or NDA.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Wioleta Kwiatkowska

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 04:50
Dutch to English
+ ...
Requirements Aug 2, 2019

It is a standard requirement in many countries that documents intended for government agencies or the courts must be done by a certified translator. If that is not required, it may be sufficient to add a brief statement at the bottom of the page to say that 'you declare that, to the best of your knowledge and abilities, this is an accurate translation of the original document', sign it and put your stamp on it, if you have one. If there is no room at the bottom of the translation, you can put it... See more
It is a standard requirement in many countries that documents intended for government agencies or the courts must be done by a certified translator. If that is not required, it may be sufficient to add a brief statement at the bottom of the page to say that 'you declare that, to the best of your knowledge and abilities, this is an accurate translation of the original document', sign it and put your stamp on it, if you have one. If there is no room at the bottom of the translation, you can put it on a separate page with your letterhead and attach it to the translation. It is up to the person who sent you this to check what is required, you should not have to spend your time on this.

[Edited at 2019-08-02 14:59 GMT]
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Wioleta Kwiatkowska
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Kevin Fulton

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:50
French to Chinese
+ ...
Just personal experience Aug 2, 2019

Agree with Tina.

From my own experience in translating several extradition requests/ requests for assistance at government level, signature and ID documents of the translator are required.
But then a driving license!?!
I think it doesn't bother to ask.

Adam Warren

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:50
Member (2005)
French to English
The client should make his requirements clear before you start the translation Aug 4, 2019

Diana Kokoszka wrote:

The contact person did not like the formatting of my translation so I corrected it for him. (...) Today he asks me for a signature on the translation. I do not like sharing my signature everywhere. Is it a standard to sign your translation?

If your client required a certified translation, he should have specified this when ordering. My feeling is that you are entitled to withhold your signature. He has asked for lots of changes after delivery, now he must pay for the job, and any further changes he orders, he must pay for.
In any case the client's approach is piecemeal and unbusinesslike.

[Edited at 2019-08-04 20:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-08-04 20:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-08-04 20:22 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

identity

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »