Would you provide your personal documents as required to enroll with an agency?
Thread poster: Morano El-Kholy
Morano El-Kholy
Morano El-Kholy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 05:42
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 25, 2019

Would you provide your Proof of identity (Scan of passport) & Proof of address (utility bill etc.) among other documents in the process of your enrollment with a translation agency?

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 25, 2019

My ID, yes, if they first provide their articles of association and the ID of every director.

[Edited at 2019-03-25 16:37 GMT]

Morano El-Kholy
Sheila Wilson
Tanja Oresnik
Michael Newton
Vadim Kadyrov

Morano El-Kholy
Egypt
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think that you thus mean a big "NO" :) Mar 25, 2019

Daniel wrote:

My ID, yes, if they first provide their articles of association and ID of every director.

Yes, I think so too!

Thank you for your great help.

[Edited at 2019-03-25 16:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-03-25 16:45 GMT]

Yolanda Broad

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Switcheroo Mar 25, 2019

Morano El-Kholy wrote:

I think that you thus mean a big "NO"

Formally, it's a "yes", since this is my actual reply when they require my ID. In essence, I admit it's a "no", as I know that it will never happen.

It's part of my back-at-ya approach. Like when they require a test translation. Of course I'll do it, if they send an equivalent test payment.

Or when an unknown agency comes out of the blue with a super-urgent job. Of course I'll do it, if they pay in advance.

Morano El-Kholy
Yolanda Broad
Anais Koechlin
Gareth Callagy

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Not remotely Mar 25, 2019

As a translator, I don't mind providing tailored CVs and portfolios to the real end clients--or a CV with my picture as an interpreter. However, middlemen (let alone foreign agencies) are no real* employers--just sub/contractors, so for a freelancer even a personal bank card number (in Ukraine--with a taxpayer ID number) should do both for ID and payment.

In the contractual law BOTH parties should exchange legal IDs/contacts--for a specific project, which is rarely the ca
... See more
 As a translator, I don't mind providing tailored CVs and portfolios to the real end clients--or a CV with my picture as an interpreter. However, middlemen (let alone foreign agencies) are no real* employers--just sub/contractors, so for a freelancer even a personal bank card number (in Ukraine--with a taxpayer ID number) should do both for ID and payment.

In the contractual law BOTH parties should exchange legal IDs/contacts--for a specific project, which is rarely the case with no-rights job seekers lists.
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Morano El-Kholy

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
They can have my VAT number and business identity. Mar 25, 2019

Personal papers, NO, never.

Yolanda Broad
Tina Vonhof (X)
Morano El-Kholy

Paweł Hamerski (X)
Paweł Hamerski (X)
English to Polish
+ ...
What for? Mar 25, 2019

They do not know if this passport and utility bill is false or not. If they need to verify my identity they can call me by Skype and see my face along my passport picture. As regards my address I will not prove it as it has nothing to do with my business.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Morano El-Kholy

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Ask why and follow your instincts Mar 26, 2019

Dear Morano,
I think I would want to know why they supposedly needed these documents. Some government jobs, for example, require you to be a citizen of a particular country and may need proof of citizenship. I would also want to make sure that this was a highly reputable company with high-end contracts and business. But even then, I would not automatically send anything they asked for. I stopped doing business with a particular agency recently because of their many invasive requests. It wa
... See more
Dear Morano,
I think I would want to know why they supposedly needed these documents. Some government jobs, for example, require you to be a citizen of a particular country and may need proof of citizenship. I would also want to make sure that this was a highly reputable company with high-end contracts and business. But even then, I would not automatically send anything they asked for. I stopped doing business with a particular agency recently because of their many invasive requests. It was simply endless, and I wonder if they even realized how they may be driving people away with their demands. The utility bill thing is not even reasonable, considering that the utilities may not be in your name if you are married or living with other people.
Collapse

Virginie Artero
Morano El-Kholy

Morano El-Kholy
Egypt
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, agree for sure! Mar 26, 2019

Yes, dear colleagues, I agree for sure on all your posted comments/opinions. There is no logic in my sending of my personal documents; not my bill nor my passport card.

Amel Abdullah wrote:

I think I would want to know why they supposedly needed these documents.

Yes, Amel, actually I have asked them the same question and they
... See more
Yes, dear colleagues, I agree for sure on all your posted comments/opinions. There is no logic in my sending of my personal documents; not my bill nor my passport card.

Amel Abdullah wrote:

Yes, Amel, actually I have asked them the same question and they replied by saying that those documents are treated as confidential and are used for internal auditing purposes only and that they are used for onboarding new linguists onto their database.

I am not convinced of their reasons and thus I will pass their offer!

Thank you, dear colleagues, for offering me this great help.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:42
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Could be malintentioned or misguided Mar 26, 2019

Morano El-Kholy wrote:
Amel Abdullah wrote:

Yes, Amel, actually I have asked them the same question and they replied by saying that those documents are treated as confidential and are used for internal auditing purposes only and that they are used for onboarding new linguists onto their database.

If it's an agency that's unknown, with no online reputation, it could well be fake and simply have the intention of stealing your identity. But if they seem to be a legitimate agency then they're more likely to be acting in what they believe to be a correct manner. They tell their clients that they'll get their texts translated by pro translators with certain experience/qyalifications, plus they need to be able - if audited - to show that their business is being run along correct lines and that there's no international money laundering going on, and no tax evasion. They DO need to be careful who they pay, but they're going about it the wrong way. Due diligence can take many forms and asking for bits of paper in this day and age is far from being the best way.

Morano El-Kholy
DZiW (X)

Morano El-Kholy
Egypt
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
They appear to be a legitimate agency but... Mar 26, 2019

Sheila Wilson wrote:

If it's an agency that's unknown, with no online reputation, it could well be fake and simply have the intention of stealing your identity. But if they seem to be a legitimate agency then they're more likely to be acting in what they believe to be a correct manner.

Yes, Sheila dear, they appear to be a legitimate agen
... See more
Sheila Wilson wrote:

If it's an agency that's unknown, with no online reputation, it could well be fake and simply have the intention of stealing your identity. But if they seem to be a legitimate agency then they're more likely to be acting in what they believe to be a correct manner.

Yes, Sheila dear, they appear to be a legitimate agency. Their B.B. here on Proz is high but as you have said, they are doing it the wrong way indeed!

They DO need to be careful who they pay, but they're going about it the wrong way. Due diligence can take many forms and asking for bits of paper in this day and age is far from being the best way.

Agree with you.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Would you provide your personal documents as required to enroll with an agency?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »