Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Are agencies wary of working with freelance companies over individuals?
Thread poster: sdvplatt
sdvplatt
sdvplatt
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:22
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
didnt say it was a problem. Oct 8, 2018

Joe France wrote:

I think what others (like Lincoln and Kay) have been getting at, and what would appear to be the main issue here, is control. If a company/agency assigns a project to an individual translator, they know exactly who is carrying out the translation, what their experience is, where their expertise lies – and who to chase if they have any issues! It's a more direct service with more direct control.

You use the word "prejudice", which I don't think is correct - but given that an intermediate agency would naturally take a slice of the payment and therefore subcontract to a cheaper (and by extension/assumption potentially less qualified/experienced) translator, I don't think it's unreasonable that a company might prefer to deal with a translator directly.

I don't think it's about prejudice. It's about choice. There are countless agencies who scrimp and save and look for the cheapest option over taking control and searching for quality. But if a method of working offers a company control, accountability and potentially greater quality, I don't really see the issue?

You might do well to set out your question more clearly. Some companies may well seek to work with individuals rather than other agencies. But really, why is that a problem?

'Prejudice' in the sense that an agency may assume that because a translator is a company or a network of translators, they would be more likely to not do the work themselves. I don't see how that can apply if there was a contract between the agency-business entity precluding that.
Also the typical rates on proz.com make it very difficult in practice to outsource at a profit given the risks involved.

We won't agree on this. Its about what side you take - for or against the status quo.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not in my experience Oct 8, 2018

I trade as a limited company.

Once upon a time it had three employees and subcontracted to another three freelance translators. These days it's just me.

My customers knew/know this and trusted/trust me to deliver a quality job. End of.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:22
French to English
No prejudice involved thank you. Oct 8, 2018

[email protected] wrote:

'Prejudice' in the sense that an agency may assume that because a translator is a company or a network of translators, they would be more likely to not do the work themselves. I don't see how that can apply if there was a contract between the agency-business entity precluding that.
Also the typical rates on proz.com make it very difficult in practice to outsource at a profit given the risks involved.

We won't agree on this. Its about what side you take - for or against the status quo.

For me it's not prejudice, it's experience. I went in with an open mind and outsourced to all sorts. Then I weeded out the ones who could not reliably and consistently work to the same high standards. It just so happened that none of those who out-sourced made the grade.

We always had a clause in our POs to say that translators were not to outsource without our written permission. However, there were several occasions when we found out that some outsourced work without asking. One even had the gall to try to pass on an emergency fee to us because she asked someone to do some work for her over the weekend (We had sent her the file in plenty of time and she agreed to do the job at her usual rate, then she realised on Friday night that she couldn't do the translation and outsourced it. Since it was due on Monday, we would have agreed to the out-sourcing although we didn't agree with paying an emergency fee. It only became urgent because the translator had left it lying on her desk for several days.). Another asked her daughter to do it for her because she was getting drunk after a break-up. When I called to ask where the translation was, she said "didn't my daughter send it to you?". We dropped both those translators of course.

My official status as a translator forbids me from out-sourcing, so anyone sending me work knows I'm the one who did the work and take full responsibility for it. And that's the way I like it.

sdvplatt
sdvplatt
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The thread is going in a different direction Oct 8, 2018

Kay Denney wrote:

[email protected] wrote:

For me it's not prejudice, it's experience. I went in with an open mind and outsourced to all sorts. Then I weeded out the ones who could not reliably and consistently work to the same high standards. It just so happened that none of those who out-sourced made the grade.

We always had a clause in our POs to say that translators were not to outsource without our written permission. However, there were several occasions when we found out that some outsourced work without asking. One even had the gall to try to pass on an emergency fee to us because she asked someone to do some work for her over the weekend (We had sent her the file in plenty of time and she agreed to do the job at her usual rate, then she realised on Friday night that she couldn't do the translation and outsourced it. Since it was due on Monday, we would have agreed to the out-sourcing although we didn't agree with paying an emergency fee. It only became urgent because the translator had left it lying on her desk for several days.). Another asked her daughter to do it for her because she was getting drunk after a break-up. When I called to ask where the translation was, she said "didn't my daughter send it to you?". We dropped both those translators of course.

My official status as a translator forbids me from out-sourcing, so anyone sending me work knows I'm the one who did the work and take full responsibility for it. And that's the way I like it.

I am not sure why. My interest is very specific- is there a presumption (better than prejudice) that a network of translators or a translator company is more likely to outsource than an individual freelancer? Are there other reasons why some agencies do not work with translators who are legal persons?

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Preconceptions are hard to shake Oct 8, 2018

If you're a company just looking to get a translation done quickly, it's easier to turn to an agency - they tend to be more visible on the Internet, and cover most subject areas, as well as multiple languages, which a lot of freelancers can't. There's also an assumption that all their translators have been quality-tested.

There is also this idea that the glossy facade is backed by solid experience and expertise, overall a quality service, which we all know is not always the case.

sdvplatt

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
I presumed nothing Oct 8, 2018

[email protected] wrote:
I am not sure why. My interest is very specific- is there a presumption (better than prejudice) that a network of translators or a translator company is more likely to outsource than an individual freelancer? Are there other reasons why some agencies do not work with translators who are legal persons?

As I said, I presumed nothing, I whittled out the outsourcers because I saw that the quality was inconsistent. It may be that they were outsourcing to bad translators, or maybe they weren't doing enough QA before passing the translation on to us.

Also as I said, we paid our translators well. We worked hard to keep them happy, because the quality of their work was what the entire agency hinged on. If they then outsourced, they would obviously be paying the other translator less. The less you pay, the less time they are likely to spend, the more chance of mistakes slipping the net. We were already acting as a middleman, no need for any more.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Talking about preconceptions… Oct 8, 2018

There’s another preconception I had to deal with for a long time: the idea that a translator who lives abroad looses inevitably the use of his/hers own language…

P.S. Sorry to divert a little from the original posting!

sdvplatt

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:22
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, but that is a misconception Oct 8, 2018

Teresa Borges wrote:

There’s another preconception I had to deal with for a long time: the idea that a translator who lives abroad looses inevitably the use of his/hers own language…

P.S. Sorry to divert a little from the original posting!

Your ability to use your native language will never be weakened no matter where you live.

[Edited at 2018-10-08 14:30 GMT]

pascie

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are agencies wary of working with freelance companies over individuals?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »