options for payment from clients with offices outside US and/or those who pay in foreign currency
Thread poster: Fatima Argun
Fatima Argun
Fatima Argun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:32
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Apr 13, 2018

Does anyone have suggestions on how to get paid by foreign clients that don't have a US bank account, and/or pay in foreign currency? I have a few such clients (who use Paypal and Moneybookers, both notoriously expensive for such transactions). I typically lose about 8-9% off the top, with transfer fees and currency exchange fees combined. I'd rather find another option so that I am not forced to hand over my hard-earned money to someone else, just for the privilege of receiving it--and this is ... See more
Does anyone have suggestions on how to get paid by foreign clients that don't have a US bank account, and/or pay in foreign currency? I have a few such clients (who use Paypal and Moneybookers, both notoriously expensive for such transactions). I typically lose about 8-9% off the top, with transfer fees and currency exchange fees combined. I'd rather find another option so that I am not forced to hand over my hard-earned money to someone else, just for the privilege of receiving it--and this is before taxes!!!

Has anyone worked with any other service that is reliable, reputable and easy to work with, that they would recommend? Would much appreciate some options.

Many thanks in advance!
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:32
Danish to English
+ ...
Transferwise Apr 13, 2018

US clients and bank accounts are foreign, seen from where I am. Every place in the world is "foreign", depending on where you are.

Apart from that, TransferWise doesn't cost more than about 1%, but their service doesn't support all countries and currencies.

yinnyann
yinnyann  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:32
English to French
+ ...
Payoneer Apr 17, 2018

Hi Fatima,

I am using Payoneer: clients pay you in $ or € and you can withdraw the money on the local bank account of your choice. The bank account checking takes some time as well as every transfer to your local account / money.

The transfer and exchange fees are quite good for me and results better than transferwise.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

options for payment from clients with offices outside US and/or those who pay in foreign currency

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »