Reporting income from clients on a U.S. tax form without a 1099
Thread poster: Mountc
Mountc
Mountc
United States
Apr 9, 2018

Perhaps a novice question here, but: I'm a translator living in the U.S., and last year, for the first time, I received work from agencies with no U.S. branch. (Yes, I know this is unusual; I previously had a very good relationship with a U.S.-based agency that soured last year, upon which I branched out.) While in previous years, I always received 1099 forms from my client companies (who were U.S. based), a couple of my new clients, when I contacted them to ask if they'd issued any tax forms ... See more
Perhaps a novice question here, but: I'm a translator living in the U.S., and last year, for the first time, I received work from agencies with no U.S. branch. (Yes, I know this is unusual; I previously had a very good relationship with a U.S.-based agency that soured last year, upon which I branched out.) While in previous years, I always received 1099 forms from my client companies (who were U.S. based), a couple of my new clients, when I contacted them to ask if they'd issued any tax forms regarding the funds paid me, stated that they flat-out did not provide tax statements or comply with requests for tax statements of any national origin for the translators they hired. (Which may well be their prerogative; I'm not an accountant.)

Am I likely to be all right if I report income received from these clients without any forms from the clients to back it up? I mean, I have my bank account statements in order, and I can prove that I received these amounts from these clients on these days, etc. (Yes, I know I'm pushing the U.S. tax deadline; personal issues have kept me away.)

Thanks for any help.
Collapse

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
US Tax Question Apr 9, 2018

U.S. companies have to send you a Form 1099 if they pay you more than a certain amount. I believe it is $600. Otherwise, just add up all your income from other companies and declare it as "additional income." Ideally, you keep your own personal accounts indicating how much you received, on what date you received it, and from whom. These would be clearer records should you ever get audited by the IRS.

finnword1
finnword1
United States
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jessica is right Apr 9, 2018

Just keep track of all miscellaneous income, as you do with anything under $600 received from U.S. customers.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
Form 1099 is only a summary Apr 9, 2018

Form 1099 is only for the IRS to make sure you report all your income. As long as you do report it, the IRS won't care whether you received a 1099.

What you don't say is if the "new clients" are USA-based. If they are, sending 1099 forms (for yearly amounts greater than $600, as pointed out) is mandatory. It hey are not, then it is not.

Mountc
Mountc
United States
TOPIC STARTER
. Apr 9, 2018

Jessica Noyes wrote:

U.S. companies have to send you a Form 1099 if they pay you more than a certain amount. I believe it is $600. Otherwise, just add up all your income from other companies and declare it as "additional income."

Thank you very much; this answers my question. I appreciate both your help and finnword's.

[Edited at 2018-04-09 20:24 GMT]

Ganerdene Gantumur
Ganerdene Gantumur
United States
Local time: 16:06
Member (2011)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
Non-US clients Apr 9, 2018

How do I report income received from non-US clients?

Jean Lachaud
United States
English to French
+ ...
Just report all income received Apr 10, 2018

when you file your 2017 income, regardless of where it comes from.

If in doubt, ask an accountant.

Ganerdene wrote:

Robert Ballien
Robert Ballien
United States
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Reporting misc. income Apr 10, 2018

Gan Gantumur wrote:

Ignore JL01's trolling and go straight to the source:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/reporting-miscellaneous-income

While labeled as "archival," this will tell where on your return you need to report this info. This page is also helpful:

https://budgeting.thenest.com/can-report-miscellaneous-income-1099-25317.html

Obviously, if any issues remain, consult a tax professional—but I don't think anyone here needs to be told that.

Jean Lachaud
United States
English to French
+ ...
Please explain "trolling" in my answer Apr 10, 2018

Rebecca Ballien wrote:

Gan Gantumur wrote:

Ignore JL01's trolling and go straight to the source:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/reporting-miscellaneous-income

While labeled as "archival," this will tell where on your return you need to report this info. This page is also helpful:

https://budgeting.thenest.com/can-report-miscellaneous-income-1099-25317.html

Obviously, if any issues remain, consult a tax professional—but I don't think anyone here needs to be told that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reporting income from clients on a U.S. tax form without a 1099

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »