Looking for clarification on parts of the process for translating / editing with Amazon
Thread poster: Christopher W Gladden
Christopher W Gladden
Christopher W Gladden  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:49
Japanese to English
Dec 16, 2017

Hi,

I started doing some work with Amazon in Europe (Japanese to English), and I'm having a few issues. They can be pretty slow on providing answers, so thought I'd try asking here. I hope this is the right forum, and apologies if there's a more appropriate one.

Each job comes with an XLF file that's the actual project and a TM file. Actually, there are two files, one in TBX format, and the other in XML. I've been working on Smartcat, and have been converting the TBX fi
... See more
Hi,

I started doing some work with Amazon in Europe (Japanese to English), and I'm having a few issues. They can be pretty slow on providing answers, so thought I'd try asking here. I hope this is the right forum, and apologies if there's a more appropriate one.

Each job comes with an XLF file that's the actual project and a TM file. Actually, there are two files, one in TBX format, and the other in XML. I've been working on Smartcat, and have been converting the TBX file to TMX so Smartcat can use it. The problem is that the CAT results seem almost just like regular machine translation... I mean, just a garbled mess sans any kind of TM input. My hunch is I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. I haven't found a use for the xml file at all. Perhaps that's part of the problem?

They also mention referring to products' "detail pages," but I've never seen any info on where to access those, unless they just mean the source language amazon listings. There is some sort of string above each new product segment, something like "ASIN_ID_B00OUBH986." But I have no idea what that refers to or if it can help with getting accurate product info.

So, if any of you work with Amazon and have a sense of where I might be going wrong, please enlighten me!

Thanks so much in advance.

Chris
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:49
English to Italian
"Detail pages" Dec 16, 2017

Christopher W Gladden wrote:

They also mention referring to products' "detail pages," but I've never seen any info on where to access those, unless they just mean the source language amazon listings. There is some sort of string above each new product segment, something like "ASIN_ID_B00OUBH986." But I have no idea what that refers to or if it can help with getting accurate product info.

E.g. http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00OUBH986/

Quite time consuming...

Christopher W Gladden
Christopher W Gladden  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:49
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Got it Dec 16, 2017

Thanks Mirko Mainardi... so they do just mean the source language amazon listings. I thought I might be missing something, that maybe there were more detailed product pages somewhere.

Cheers,

Chris

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:49
English to Italian
Details Dec 16, 2017

Christopher W Gladden wrote:

Thanks Mirko Mainardi... so they do just mean the source language amazon listings. I thought I might be missing something, that maybe there were more detailed product pages somewhere.

You're welcome, Christopher W Gladden...

Well, that's the source you're working on, so in my experience that's all the detail you'll get from them. Amazon product pages are usually quite informative, considering they usually have a bullet point section with specific features, a description and pictures, but IMHO the point is that checking every single page will slow you down considerably. Obviously, when you know the trade name of a product and its manufacturer, you could do further research on your own, but that would slow you down even further, to a crawl...

BTW, I did work for them when they still didn't do PEMT, so some things may have changed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for clarification on parts of the process for translating / editing with Amazon

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »