Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
*Ex post facto* sign-offs on translations: Unethical?
Thread poster: Robert Forstag
Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:48
German to English
+ ...
as a certified translator Dec 24, 2016

When I certify a translation, then it means that the translation has been done by a certified translator (me), that I, as a certified translator have adhered to the ethics of the professional organization that has certified me, including that the translation is correct to the best of my knowledge, and that I am qualified (capable) of doing that translation. I cannot possibly "certify" or "sign off" someone else's translation. That is the job of a notary public, where the translator swears that... See more
When I certify a translation, then it means that the translation has been done by a certified translator (me), that I, as a certified translator have adhered to the ethics of the professional organization that has certified me, including that the translation is correct to the best of my knowledge, and that I am qualified (capable) of doing that translation. I cannot possibly "certify" or "sign off" someone else's translation. That is the job of a notary public, where the translator swears that they are qualified, it is correct etc. This is how it stands in Canada.
One thing that I can do is treat a translation as my own. That means I revise it, effectively "retranslating" it, so that it becomes my translation. I don't get asked to do this often, but most of the time the translation to be "certified" is not up to snuff and needs that kind of revision.

At times an American agency may get a project where the recipient is in Canada, and then they need a Canadian certified translator. If it is going to Germany, then only a German "geeidigt" translator can do it. A translation done by a German "geeidigt" translator won't be accepted in Canada, etc.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:48
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Maxi Dec 25, 2016

Maxi Schwarz wrote:
When I certify a translation, then it means that the translation has been done by a certified translator (me)...

True, but [as you also mention later in your post] you're Canadian. Robert (the OP) is from the USA. In Canada, there is a class of translator called "certified translator", and they are the only ones legally authorised to produce "certified translations" (although rules vary by province). In addition, the term "certified member" has special meaning in Canadian translator associations that have reciprocal recognition. I'm not sure if all certified members are automatically certified translators, but it appears to me to be so with regard to certain provinces at least.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 00:48
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Samuel Dec 25, 2016

Indeed, our Canadian organizations have 'Associate members' who are not certified (yet) and 'Certified members' who are certified. The latter involves writing a national exam, which also includes an ethics component and taking an oath to adhere to those rules.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

*Ex post facto* sign-offs on translations: Unethical?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »