Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:46
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Dec 10, 2016

I am posting this in English in the hope of attracting a wider audience although, of course, it will interest our Italian friends very directly.

When I began translating from Italian to English, quite some time ago, many jobs came from small industrial producers in the Italian provinces, manufacturing what British economists call "widgets": small items like screws and bolts, components for machines, etc.

Those small, often family-based factories, sometimes employing onl
... See more
I am posting this in English in the hope of attracting a wider audience although, of course, it will interest our Italian friends very directly.

When I began translating from Italian to English, quite some time ago, many jobs came from small industrial producers in the Italian provinces, manufacturing what British economists call "widgets": small items like screws and bolts, components for machines, etc.

Those small, often family-based factories, sometimes employing only a few people and with strong roots in local communities, were killed off by a combination of factors, notably the undercutting of labour costs by China (where, moreover, there are no labour protections) and the failure of Italian banks to support these small businesses.

Today I no longer get any translation jobs of that kind. The Italian economy is still manufacturing things but now there is a focus on the luxury market (there is no crisis for the global rich) or international infrastructure like power generation or rail systems. The "little guy" in Italian manufacturing has gone.

I regret the disappearance of small translating jobs - things like instruction leaflets for farm implements, product descriptions of woodburning stoves, etc.

As a translator from Italian into other languages, have you noticed this change? Are the documents you translating very different from what they were a few years ago?

[Edited at 2016-12-10 13:51 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation from Italian: the effect of Italy's de-industrialisation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »