Sworn translation in France
Thread poster: David Hayes
David Hayes
David Hayes  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:06
French to English
Oct 3, 2016

Although this has no doubt been discussed before (I did try searching the archives but found no clear answer), please could some kind person please answer the following question: can you, as a native English translator translating from French into UK English only, become a sworn translator in France (where I live). I am virtually certain that this is not an option, but several people I know (not translators, but living in France) insist that it is. Does anyone here know for sure?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:06
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I don't know the answer Oct 3, 2016

David Hayes wrote:

Although this has no doubt been discussed before (I did try searching the archives but found no clear answer), please could some kind person please answer the following question: can you, as a native English translator translating from French into UK English only, become a sworn translator in France (where I live). I am virtually certain that this is not an option, but several people I know (not translators, but living in France) insist that it is. Does anyone here know for sure?

But I do know that they'd have to be able to translate official documents in both directions. That was enough to put me off thinking of applying. My written French is in some ways superior to many of my neighbours back in the French vineyards ("je suis fatiguer" anyone?) but I really don't think I'd want to certify my own particular version of the language as the correct one .

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:06
English to French
+ ...
Answer is here: Oct 3, 2016

https://www.sft.fr/page628-.html#.V_JVERTQfmE

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sworn translation in France

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »