Mystery Language!
Thread poster: Vadney (X)
Vadney (X)
Vadney (X)
German to English
+ ...
Nov 28, 2005

A friend of mine, a cleric, was sent a segment of text that he cannot identify and has asked if I can help.

I have no idea what the text is, although it contains what appear to be some Arabic characters.

If anyone can help, the text can be viewed at:
http://bmtconsult.home.att.net/TextEnquiry.html

If you can identify the language, it would be g
... See more
A friend of mine, a cleric, was sent a segment of text that he cannot identify and has asked if I can help.

I have no idea what the text is, although it contains what appear to be some Arabic characters.

If anyone can help, the text can be viewed at:
http://bmtconsult.home.att.net/TextEnquiry.html

If you can identify the language, it would be great if the string could be translated as well!

Thanks very much!

Harold
Collapse

Ziad Marzouka
Ziad Marzouka  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 06:03
English to Arabic
+ ...
Not Arabic Nov 28, 2005

It's definately not Arabic, but the handwriting seems to be South Asian, I would say somewhere near Sri Lanka and these countries.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
gaelic/irish? Nov 28, 2005

The last letter is very much written like an Irish T,

and the first two letters of teh same word look like MB, which would be a typical consonant combination,

also what appears to be the second word, its first letter looks like an Irish G,

and the dots over letters are features of Irish (I think it was what they called aspiration)

Elena Bellucci
Elena Bellucci
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Tolkien Nov 28, 2005

The alphabet looks like one of Tolkien Tengwars, I would not be surprised if this is one of the lines of the opening poem of The Lord Of the Rings. (one ring to rule them all... etc. ^__^)
But of course it could be anything written with a tengwar font.

If its a Mordorin or Sindarin line, then we could indeed call it an ancient language, ;p but I would try and repost the topic on the forum on invented languages.

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 21:03
English to French
+ ...
mirror Arabic or Iranian Nov 28, 2005

it looks like mirrored Arabic letters imo.

[Edited at 2005-11-28 17:02]

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
I agree... Nov 28, 2005

Elena Bellucci wrote:

The alphabet looks like one of Tolkien Tengwars, I would not be surprised if this is one of the lines of the opening poem of The Lord Of the Rings. (one ring to rule them all... etc. ^__^)

It looks like Tolkien to me too, but I cannot find an identical text in my copy of The Lord of the Rings. Maybe it comes from another book, or it's some invented message using Tengwars. I may also be precisely a real writing that inspired Tolkien to make his Tengwars - does anyone know what source he used?

HTH
Marie-Céline

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:03
English to German
+ ...
Comparison Nov 28, 2005

Mystery Language:

Tengwars:

[Edited at 2005-11-28 22:02]

Gissatem
Gissatem
Local time: 07:03
Greek to Spanish
+ ...
Absolutely Tolkien Tengwars Nov 28, 2005

Marie-Céline GEORG wrote:

Elena Bellucci wrote:

It looks like Tolkien to me too, but I cannot find an identical text in my copy of The Lord of the Rings. Maybe it comes from another book, or it's some invented message using Tengwars. I may also be precisely a real writing that inspired Tolkien to make his Tengwars - does anyone know what source he used?

HTH
Marie-Céline

If I'm not mistaken, it is a tengwar font, just take a look at this:

http://www.bme.jhu.edu/~jdiedric/fantasy.html

Javi

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Tenwar script Nov 29, 2005

The only thing absolute is that this is indeed Tolkien's Tengwar script: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/tengwar.htm

He invented this script to write Quenya (High Elven, the ancient tongue of the Noldor), a language he based on Finnish and Greek.

This passage could also be Sindarin (the Elven tongue referred to the the Lord of the Rings - what you hear spoken by the e
... See more
The only thing absolute is that this is indeed Tolkien's Tengwar script: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/tengwar.htm

He invented this script to write Quenya (High Elven, the ancient tongue of the Noldor), a language he based on Finnish and Greek.

This passage could also be Sindarin (the Elven tongue referred to the the Lord of the Rings - what you hear spoken by the elves and sometimes Aragorn in the movie), an invented language he based on Welsh.

It is quite easy to decipher by using the table of letters cited above.

The author could have also used Tengwar to write English or any other modern language. It is up to the poster of this thread to do further research. All the tools have been provided.

m

[Edited at 2005-11-29 15:38]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mystery Language!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »