Ana Naglić
Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 16:53
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Jul 30, 2005

Is there any OE [Old English] translator on this site?

Jonathan Spector
Jonathan Spector  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:53
Hebrew to English
Old English Jul 31, 2005

It's hard to believe that something in Old English exists untranslated.
Maybe you need a researcher.

craigs
craigs
Local time: 11:53
English to Portuguese
+ ...
If it's REALLY important Aug 1, 2005

A friend of a friend of mine is an Ivy League professor and fluent in Old English.

Ana Naglić
Croatia
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interest Aug 1, 2005

I don't need translation services. I'm very interested in OE, and I just wondered if there was anyone else interested in OE here.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Old English Aug 3, 2005

I can't read Old English very well but I am fascinated by that language. I have read a couple of books on the history of the English language and was amazed by many things. One thing I noticed was that Old English bears a lot of resemblance to Modern German in many ways. The grammar was certainly more complex than Modern English.

It is good to see other people are interested in that language.

María Roberto (X)
María Roberto (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I am interested in OE. Aug 12, 2005

Ana:
Beowulf? The Kenningar?
Please, write me as soon as possible.
Regards,
María de los Ángeles.

Lucy-Jane Michel
Lucy-Jane Michel  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
We exist! Aug 12, 2005

I studied Old English as my main subject at Uni and translate Old English to English, and English to Old English at a push!
Would love to be in contact with others who have similar interest...

Adam Bartley
Adam Bartley  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 02:53
Member (2011)
Latin to English
+ ...
Still more Aug 12, 2005

My girlfriend is doing her PhD in Old English, too. I think she'd be keen to chat with others about it. She has an ID here - I'll let her know about the thread.

Veronika Hansova
Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Happy to meet you! Nov 29, 2005

Oh, that's great, I am also interested in OE texts. I took several courses in OE at may university and I even wrote some essays on Anglo-Saxon riddles and OE oetry! And at that time Beowulf was my Bible.
The similarity of OE with German (espacially in grammatical sense, f.e. the past tense being formed by the prefix ge- etc.) is the result of their kinship. I even learnt by heart few of the poems and the Lord's prayer in OE from the end of the 10the century. However whenever reciting them
... See more
Oh, that's great, I am also interested in OE texts. I took several courses in OE at may university and I even wrote some essays on Anglo-Saxon riddles and OE oetry! And at that time Beowulf was my Bible.
The similarity of OE with German (espacially in grammatical sense, f.e. the past tense being formed by the prefix ge- etc.) is the result of their kinship. I even learnt by heart few of the poems and the Lord's prayer in OE from the end of the 10the century. However whenever reciting them (usually after few glasses, since nobody wants to hear it sober), my friends keep knocking on their foreheads (a Czech sign for "she's kinda weird").
Great to find other people with similar interest!
Collapse

Ana Naglić
Croatia
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Qomen in the Middle Ages Nov 29, 2005

Actually, I came to OE through my interest in women/gender issues in the Middle Ages. So, I'm not only interested in strictly grammatical issues of the OE, but in the contemporary culture as well.
Beowulf is a masterpiece, really. My OE is still not as good as I'd like to, but I am glad there are people still interested in this language. A part of my BA thesis included discourse analysis of the OE texts in relation to gender issues (I wrote on women in medieval England).

Quintillian
Quintillian
English to Latin
"Conversational" Anglo-Saxon. Dec 31, 2005

Dear Lucy Jane,
Wæs thu hæl!
I was intrigued by your interpretive abilities.
I have long wanted to go beyond the ability to read Anglo-Saxon clumsily without any training, but, every time that I sit down with a method, a grammar, or a chrestomathy, the pressure of other concerns interrupts me. I devised a method for teaching Latin conversationally, which works like wildfire, and have found that, simply by applying it to other languages, they come very easily. I ha
... See more
Dear Lucy Jane,
Wæs thu hæl!
I was intrigued by your interpretive abilities.
I have long wanted to go beyond the ability to read Anglo-Saxon clumsily without any training, but, every time that I sit down with a method, a grammar, or a chrestomathy, the pressure of other concerns interrupts me. I devised a method for teaching Latin conversationally, which works like wildfire, and have found that, simply by applying it to other languages, they come very easily. I have been learning Herbew simply by interrogating speakers to fill in the blanks in my method, and, like any other language that has been cultivated, itthe drops of improvement are becoming a river.
I have a lot of friends who are involved in Anglo-Saxon and Viking reënactment, and they picked me to be the skald one year; I had one week to learn enough Old Norse to sound convincing. Unfortunately, Old Norse methods tend to be as dry as Anglo-Saxon ones (no vituperation of Sweet), and so I bought a Vigfusson and went to work hunting down roots by my rusty Swedish, &c., and managed to pull off recitations convincingly!
Now is the time to apply "la méthode" to Anglo-Saxon. I am looking for willing brains that will allow of picking. I have had Latin and Greek since childhood, and speak many other tonhues, and so the grammar is no trouble, nor is the order of words, Anglo-Saxon seeming to have Scandinavian habits.
I have no academic or commercial axe to grind by this; I am not an academic, have nothing to sell, and am doing this out of pure interest and the joy of doing.
Please let me know if you would be interested in setting up a thread for Anglo-Saxon conversation, and any one else who reads this is welcome to the feast.
Happy New Year!
Collapse

Andrea Nagy
Andrea Nagy
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What happened to this topic? May 8, 2007

Wesaþ ge hale, friend!

It seems I have come too late, but frankly, I never expected to find a topic like this on proz.com. I teach Old English for a living and I am VERY interested in women and discourse analysis in OE poetry (I intend to write my doctoral dissertation in this field). Please! Is there anybody out there?

Kendy_
Kendy_
French to Creoles & Pidgins (French-based Other)
+ ...
Really late... Dec 15, 2007

Hello All,

Very interesting topic, Ana (if you ever decide to come back to this topic some day). I too have worked on the Anglo-Saxon period; more exactly on Old English poetry and music. The aspect, the sounds and the history of it are just beautiful.

I studied the musical/cultural transition from Anglo-Saxon period to Norman England with Middle English.

Richard Benham
Richard Benham  Identity Verified
France
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Hello Andrea... Dec 24, 2007

What's your take on Wulf and Eadwacer?

Letty Nijhuis
Letty Nijhuis  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
more Anglo-Saxonists Jan 14, 2008

I'm currently completing a PhD on Old English literature, too. You're not alone!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Old English

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »