Thread poster: John Sigurdsson (X)
John Sigurdsson (X)
John Sigurdsson (X)
Sweden
Local time: 13:03
Swedish to Icelandic
+ ...
Jan 16, 2020

I wonder if some of you have worked with Across?

I was given a task (10k words) which I am to perform in Across and now I am very frustrated. It is slow, complicated, unpredictable, freezes a lot, you need at least four hands to manage it, when you finish a segment and save it, it jumps to a totally different segment way down the list so you have to spend time finding it again and see what happened to it, every time you save, copy or do something else, 1 or 2 pop-ups appear asking w
... See more

I was given a task (10k words) which I am to perform in Across and now I am very frustrated. It is slow, complicated, unpredictable, freezes a lot, you need at least four hands to manage it, when you finish a segment and save it, it jumps to a totally different segment way down the list so you have to spend time finding it again and see what happened to it, every time you save, copy or do something else, 1 or 2 pop-ups appear asking whether you want to do what you are trying to do. It takes about 30 sec to find-and-replace one single word etc... I have been reading the help topics in the Help for Across but I can see no solutions for these problems.
I have now finished 200 words in 5 hours. This was meant to be a 3 days task but in Across it will take at least two weeks!
Collapse

Geneviève Granger
Desiree Davidse

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Is this your first task with Across? Jan 17, 2020

Hello John!

I work regularly with Across Translator Edition (v7 now) and don't encounter this kind of problem at all. Which version do you work with and in which form did the customer send you the file? This may be due to your rights and settings.

Best, Adrien

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
I did Jan 17, 2020

John Sigurdsson wrote:

I was given a task (10k words) which I am to perform in Across and now I am very frustrated. It is slow, complicated, unpredictable, freezes a lot, you need at least four hands to manage it, when you finish a segment and save it, it jumps to a totally different segment way down the list so you have to spend time finding it again and see what happened to it, every time you save, copy or do something else, 1 or 2 pop-ups appear asking whether you want to do what you are trying to do. It takes about 30 sec to find-and-replace one single word etc... I have been reading the help topics in the Help for Across but I can see no solutions for these problems.
I have now finished 200 words in 5 hours. This was meant to be a 3 days task but in Across it will take at least two weeks!

Had a big translation some years ago, which had to be done in Across. I was facing the same problems you are describing. My result was a whopping 1100 words a day. I might not be the fastest translator around, but this was ridiculous.

So, I stopped accepting Across-jobs, unless the client is prepared to pay my hourly rate. Time is money, and with this CAT you never know how long it takes to finish the job.

Geneviève Granger

Tor Rustad
Tor Rustad
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Worst CAT ever May 11, 2020

I've been using Across for many years. No matter - even with V7 - it's the worst CAT ever. The only reason I'm still using it is my good clients!

Alenka Satler
Laura Bissio CT

Geneviève Granger
Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
A real nightmare May 12, 2020

I can only echo your experience.
Also, it also crashes very often... until the day it crashes, doesn't start anymore, it isn't possible to repair the installation without making tabula rasa on your computer and make a fresh installation of the whole system.
The day after it happened, I contacted all my Across customers to tell them that I would not work with that tool anymore.

Desiree Davidse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across/crossWeb

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »