Gerry Vickers
Gerry Vickers  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:04
Member (2007)
Czech to English
+ ...
Unclean files Dec 2, 2009

I use Wordfast Pro, but I probably only use about 5% of its functions having read through some of the forums. I don't use Microsoft Word, so apparently Wordfast Classic is not an option as it does not work in Open Office.

On querying a request to send an 'unclean' file, I got the response 'It is an unclean term. I need bilingual files so I can clean up into TM' for which I would probably need a CAT tool to translate into English as it makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. At
... See more
I use Wordfast Pro, but I probably only use about 5% of its functions having read through some of the forums. I don't use Microsoft Word, so apparently Wordfast Classic is not an option as it does not work in Open Office.

On querying a request to send an 'unclean' file, I got the response 'It is an unclean term. I need bilingual files so I can clean up into TM' for which I would probably need a CAT tool to translate into English as it makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. At least I know that TM is Translation Memory.

Is there an easy way of fulfilling the client's request in Wordfast without having to go on a PhD course? I am pretty certain that the client uses Trados.

A simple step-by-step idiot's guide would be ideal

Thanks!
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:04
French to English
unclean files Dec 2, 2009

Hi Gerry,

"Unclean files" are bilingual files produced by Wordfast Classic and Trados (and perhaps other tools can handle/create them too).

With Wordfast Pro, you can NOT create an "unclean file" that will be compatible with WFC/Trados and serve the requirement of your customer which is basically to update their TM from your translation.

You CAN send your bilingual WFP "txml" file to the client, but if they don't have WFP, they won't be able to do anything
... See more
Hi Gerry,

"Unclean files" are bilingual files produced by Wordfast Classic and Trados (and perhaps other tools can handle/create them too).

With Wordfast Pro, you can NOT create an "unclean file" that will be compatible with WFC/Trados and serve the requirement of your customer which is basically to update their TM from your translation.

You CAN send your bilingual WFP "txml" file to the client, but if they don't have WFP, they won't be able to do anything with it.

So - in case you don't understand the above comments very well - here is what you need to do: export your TM to TMX and send it to your client, along with an explanation that you use WFP and can't provide trados compatible unclean files. They should still have no trouble updating their own TM using the TMX file you provide.
Collapse

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
I have been looking for information ... Dec 3, 2009

Kristyna Marrero wrote:

Wordfast Pro generates a bilingual TXML file. This cannot be opened and cleaned directly using another CAT tool. You can always update the TM, export it as TMX, and then open the TM in another TMX compliant CAT tool, but the WFP file itself cannot be edited with another tool.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

... on how to do just that, since I had a problem with an agency who wanted a Trados-compatible tmx file.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to export my TM as TMX so I would appreciate some information on how this is done.

TIA.

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Export > TMX Format Dec 3, 2009

inkweaver wrote:

Unfortunately, I have not been able to export my TM as TMX so I would appreciate some information on how this is done.

Dear inkweaver,

To export a Translation Memory from WFP:

- Make sure that all your translated segments are committed to the TM by pressing Alt+End; now all the segments should appear in Violet (colour) or by cleaning-up the TXML file updating the TM.
- Go to Translation Memory (menu) > New/Select TM
- Click on Export (button)
- Form the *Local TM* dropdown menu, select the TM you want to export.
- From the dropdown menu *Export Type*, select *TMX Format*
- Browse to select the preferred location and name.

Now, they can *Import* this TMX TM into a Trados TM as long as both TMs have the same language variants. So you have to make sure which language variants are used in the Trados TM. If they are different from the one in your WFP TM, create a new WF TM with the correct language locales and clean up your TXML file(s) against it (before exporting it into the TMX format).

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

[Edited at 2009-12-03 11:59 GMT]

inkweaver
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Thank you very much, Yasmin! Dec 4, 2009

Easy now I know how it is done ....

inkweaver
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Seemed to be easy but ... Dec 7, 2009

I have been asked to export several TMs from WFP but I have not been successful so far. I have followed the instructions, but all I ever got was a pop-up saying "Converting ... copying to TMX format" but nothing actually happens...

Am I doing something wrong?

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Browse Dec 7, 2009

inkweaver wrote:

all I ever got was a pop-up saying "Converting ... copying to TMX format" but nothing actually happens...

Am I doing something wrong?

In the "Export local TM" dialogue, you need to click on the *Browse* button, determine the location where you want to save your new TMX file and give it a proper name.

I hope this helps. Please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

[Edited at 2009-12-07 14:23 GMT]

Murielle M
Murielle M
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:04
English to French
Since Wf Pro TXML files can be converted to unclean doc files... May 22, 2011

Since you can convert a Wordfast Pro TXML file into an unclean .doc file using the steps below, is there any reason why I can't do all my translations using Wf Pro and only use Wf Classic to generate unclean .doc files if the agency requires it? I'm still trying to choose a CAT tool and I like Wf Pro but not Classic so much, I don't like the idea of having to work with both, so I was wondering whether there is anything else (apart from generating unclean .doc files) that Classic can do that Pro ... See more
Since you can convert a Wordfast Pro TXML file into an unclean .doc file using the steps below, is there any reason why I can't do all my translations using Wf Pro and only use Wf Classic to generate unclean .doc files if the agency requires it? I'm still trying to choose a CAT tool and I like Wf Pro but not Classic so much, I don't like the idea of having to work with both, so I was wondering whether there is anything else (apart from generating unclean .doc files) that Classic can do that Pro can't? (I know I can have both with one licence but I'd still like to know, many thanks in advance).

• Download and install the latest version of Wordfast Classic (even the demo version).
• Open *a copy of* the WFP TXML in MS Word.
• Press Alt+Down or the "Next Segment" WF toolbar button.
• Click "OK" for the message asking if you want to tag the document.
• Click "OK" for the message asking if you want to "Convert this TXML file to a DOC segmented file". Once you receive the confirmation message, close MS Word.
• Open the TXML file in WF Pro. From the "File" menu, select "Save Translated File".
• Open the target DOC in WF Classic, press Alt+Down once and then close using [Shift+]Alt+End.
• Save the DOC file.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jeff Jul 30, 2015

Wayback Machine's earliest version of the first link is from 2008, and unfortunately I can't find the second link's page anywhere.

Unfortunately this PDF is also no longer available on the web (Wayback Machine does contain three other PDFs from that sub-directory, but not the one mentioned here).

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
new technology landing page: Translations.com Jul 30, 2015

Thanks Samuel,

It looks like they reorganized the pages.
The new landing page on their website is here:
http://translations.com/products/technology.html

Jeff

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Use Save, not Save Translated File Jul 30, 2015

xxxwonita wrote:

Each time when I save the translated file, Wordfast would ask me to confirm "This file exists already, are you sure you want to overwrite it?"

Click on Save, not Save Translated File. Save saves your bilingual document and work in progress. Save Translated File creates a target document. You are using the letter and Wordfast is asking each time if you want to overwrite the previously saved target file.

Hope this helps!

John

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to create a Wordfast Pro unclean file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »