Strategies used for translating culture-bound elements
Thread poster: Alishia
Alishia
Alishia
Polish to English
Feb 16, 2008

Hello.
I'm a student of Translation Studies and I need some information about strategies applied for translating culture-bound elements. I've read on the Internet that the best-known investigation was made by: Hatim, Nedergaard Larsen, Vinay and Darbelnet. I got to know, what are the titles of the books in which the progression of the strategies is made, but I can't reach these publications. I was looking for them in the library as well as on the Internet. If anybody could just name them w
... See more
Hello.
I'm a student of Translation Studies and I need some information about strategies applied for translating culture-bound elements. I've read on the Internet that the best-known investigation was made by: Hatim, Nedergaard Larsen, Vinay and Darbelnet. I got to know, what are the titles of the books in which the progression of the strategies is made, but I can't reach these publications. I was looking for them in the library as well as on the Internet. If anybody could just name them without explanation, because I don't want bother You too much.

Thank You in advance.
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:36
German to English
Culture-bound elements Feb 16, 2008

Hi Alishia - I don't have an answer for your specific question, but this information might help you:

There have been a few studies of how cultural elements are translated, from general
translation studies, such as Hatim (1997), to studies dealing with culture in audio-visual
translation, such as Nedergaard Larsen (1993) and Orrevall (2004).
The best-known investigation of the translation of cultural elements to date is probably
Leppihalme’s studies of allus
... See more
Hi Alishia - I don't have an answer for your specific question, but this information might help you:

There have been a few studies of how cultural elements are translated, from general
translation studies, such as Hatim (1997), to studies dealing with culture in audio-visual
translation, such as Nedergaard Larsen (1993) and Orrevall (2004).
The best-known investigation of the translation of cultural elements to date is probably
Leppihalme’s studies of allusions and how they cause “culture bumps” (1994, 1997, 2000).
http://www.euroconferences.info/proceedings/2005_Proceedings/2005_Pedersen_Jan.pdf

Nedergaard-Larsen, Birgit (1993): ‘Culture-Bound Problems in Subtitling’. In Perspectives: Studies in Translatology. 1993; 2: 207-242.

http://violasworld.blogspot.com/2007/03/lets-start.html
Collapse

Alishia
Alishia
Polish to English
TOPIC STARTER
:) Feb 16, 2008

Meanwhile I found the same article:) It is quite good, but there is only information that Hatim or Nedergaard Larsen made some classifications of the strategies, the article doesn't give the names of the strategies - Schade And I still need them. But anyway thank You for Your help and good intentions.

Best regards:)

Alishia
Alishia
Polish to English
TOPIC STARTER
. Feb 17, 2008

And what about this book by Nedergaard-Larsen? Maybe You have it at home? Because I can't reach this book.

Strastran (X)
Strastran (X)
France
Local time: 17:36
French to English
+ ...
Another possibility Feb 18, 2008

Another possibility is this book:

1996 Language, Culture and Communication in Contemporary Europe, Multilingual Matters, Clevedon. ISBN 1-85359-360-5.

In particular, the chapter by Jean-Pierre Mailhac entitled 'The formulation of translation strategies for cultural references'. I found this very useful when studying cultural translation.

I think this chapter can be found on the web.

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:36
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Have a look at these Feb 20, 2008

Hatim, Basil, and Mason, Ian (1997), "Politeness in Screen Translating", in Lawrence Venuti & Mona Baker, (eds.) The Translation Studies Reader, London, Routledge, 2000, pp. 430-45.

Nedergaard-Larsen, Birgit (1993), "Culture-bound problems in subtitling", in Perspectives: Studies in translatology, 1993:2, pp. 207-242

How i
... See more
Hatim, Basil, and Mason, Ian (1997), "Politeness in Screen Translating", in Lawrence Venuti & Mona Baker, (eds.) The Translation Studies Reader, London, Routledge, 2000, pp. 430-45.

Nedergaard-Larsen, Birgit (1993), "Culture-bound problems in subtitling", in Perspectives: Studies in translatology, 1993:2, pp. 207-242

How is Culture Rendered in Subtitles?
www.euroconferences.info/proceedings/2005_Proceedings/2005_Pedersen_Jan.pdf

Fotios Karamitlroglou: Towards a Methodology for the Investigation of Norms in audiovisual translation books.google.com/books?isbn=9042006196...

Gottlieb, Henrik
© ≠§ Subtitles, Translation & Idioms
INT/DK PhD Thesis, Main volume (354 pp.).
Center for Translation Studies and Lexicography, Department of English, University of Copenhagen
March 1997 (second printing November 1997)

Gottlieb, Henrik
© ≠ "You got the picture?". On the Polysemiotics of Subtitling Wordplay
ANG/DK a) < Traductio. Essays on Punning and Translation: 207-232. Dirk Delabastita (ed.)
St. Jerome Publishing & Presses Universitaires de Namur 1997

Also this website:
www.transedit.se/Bibliography.htm
Collapse

Alishia
Alishia
Polish to English
TOPIC STARTER
unavailable book Feb 21, 2008

Patrick Stenson wrote:

Another possibility is this book:

1996 Language, Culture and Communication in Contemporary Europe, Multilingual Matters, Clevedon. ISBN 1-85359-360-5.

In particular, the chapter by Jean-Pierre Mailhac entitled 'The formulation of translation strategies for cultural references'. I found this very useful when studying cultural translation.

I think this chapter can be found on the web.

The book can be found on the web (google book search), but the chapter by Mailhac is unavailable I found another article by Jean-Pierre Mailhac, but in this article he mentions only cultural borrowing, calque, cultural substitution and definition.

http://www.accurapid.com/journal/40strategies.htm

I'm sure that in this book that You have offered to me I could find more strategies for the translation of cultural references, not only four of them. Maybe You have this book at home? Could You scan this chapter for me and send on my email ? I would be grateful. Please let me know if You have this book, I will give You my email address then.

Thanks in advance.

Michelle Deeter
Michelle Deeter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:36
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
Thank you so much for posting the conference papers Jan 6, 2012

I found the work by Pedersen extremely useful, and I am so glad you took the time to post that. Cheers!

annemarieroorda
annemarieroorda
Local time: 17:36
chapter from Jean-Pierre Mailhac Mar 22, 2012

dear Alishia,

have you managed to find the chapter from Mailhac yet?
I looked on the internet and indeed, only 2 pages of the article were shown on google.books
I would be very glad en thankful if you could send it to me.

kindregards,
JM

Alishia
Alishia
Polish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Jean-Pierre Mailhac, Ivir - available materials Mar 22, 2012

annemarieroorda wrote:

dear Alishia,

have you managed to find the chapter from Mailhac yet?
I looked on the internet and indeed, only 2 pages of the article were shown on google.books
I would be very glad en thankful if you could send it to me.

kindregards,
JM

Hello my friend. No problem. I have 2 articles by Jean-Pierre Mailhac (scan). I had this luck and got them from the author directly. He also suggested the chapter by Ivir: Procedures and strategies for the translation of culture. Give me your email and I will send all of them to you.

Best Begardy,

Alicja

pourasgar (X)
pourasgar (X)
strategies used for translating culture-bound items Apr 11, 2012

hi everybody,

these two books by Ivir can be helpful for this topic: Translation theory and intercultural relations, Procedures and strategies for translation of culture. I need them too for my MA thesis. if somebody knows how can find electronic version of these books please help me.

Thanks

evi citra dewi
evi citra dewi
Indonesia
Local time: 23:36
Strategies used for translating culture-bound elements Mar 5, 2017

Hello everyone,

I just interest with this topic, but I confused about the strategy or procedure to translate the culture-bound element. is there any differences between them?

culture-bound elements and culture specific items is the same or not?

which more better to translate the culture terms itself?

what is the most common theory of strategy used to translate culture-bound elements?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strategies used for translating culture-bound elements

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »