Thread poster: Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 9, 2017

Hello, colleagues,

While reading Kussmaul (Training the Translator), I encountered discussions about top-down and bottom-up processes involved in translation practice in class.

Then I started looking for some flash-card type of infographic to remember the definitions. Adobe Acrobat's feature to create bookmarks helps a lot to go back to the original explanations, but we're visual creatures. So I found some useful simple infographics explaining what these processes are.
... See more
Hello, colleagues,

While reading Kussmaul (Training the Translator), I encountered discussions about top-down and bottom-up processes involved in translation practice in class.

Then I started looking for some flash-card type of infographic to remember the definitions. Adobe Acrobat's feature to create bookmarks helps a lot to go back to the original explanations, but we're visual creatures. So I found some useful simple infographics explaining what these processes are. However (a big however), these terms come from other sciences (cognitive psychology is one of them), and some infographics are confusing because they show applications in other sciences, not necessarily translation.

So, I started looking for those processes in reading (I'll look them in in writing as well). I am encountering very interesting definitions for these processes in reading that can be applied to translation. This is practical stuff, folks!

I'm now in the process of looking up academic articles or essays explaining these processes in reading and writing for translation. Do you know of any? Thanks!
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:31
French to English
Zillions exist Jul 9, 2017

You'll need to narrow down your search with some key words.
You will get access to abstracts via the APA (American Psychology Association) and also to the full-text of some articles.
Also try Science Direct and PubMed, again access to abstracts, but you'll get the essential.
You'll meet terms like sensory perception, physioology, processing and much much more!

[Edited at 2017-07-09 16:35 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Narrowing the search Jul 9, 2017

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

You'll need to narrow down your search with some key words.
You will get access to abstracts via the APA (American Psychology Association) and also to the full-text of some articles.
Also try Science Direct and PubMed, again access to abstracts, but you'll get the essential.
You'll meet terms like sensory perception, physioology, processing and much much more!

[Edited at 2017-07-09 16:35 GMT]

Thanks, Nikki. I forgot to say that this search is not a hobby or a pastime of mine, but part of my work on my doctoral thesis proposal.

I have access to B-on (Aveiro University), Researchgate.net and Academia.edu, as well as pdfdrive.com, all useful in their own way. My focus is not on cognitive psychology at all, or neuroimaging of brain processes. I'm specifically interested in reading and writing for translation, and how the top-down and bottom-up processes may apply. This is not, however, the focus of my thesis.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
new book Jul 13, 2017

I've just come across a new book, The Handbook of Translation and Cognition (2017), you might want to take a look:

The Handbook of Translation and Cognition is a pioneering, state-of-the-art investigation of cognitive approaches to translation and interpreting studies (TIS).

- Offers timely and cutting-edge coverage of the most important theoretical frameworks and methodological innovations
- Contains original contributions from a global group of leading researche
... See more
I've just come across a new book, The Handbook of Translation and Cognition (2017), you might want to take a look:

The Handbook of Translation and Cognition is a pioneering, state-of-the-art investigation of cognitive approaches to translation and interpreting studies (TIS).

- Offers timely and cutting-edge coverage of the most important theoretical frameworks and methodological innovations
- Contains original contributions from a global group of leading researchers from 18 countries
- Explores topics related to translator and workplace characteristics including machine translation, creativity, ergonomic perspectives, and cognitive effort, and competence, training, and interpreting such as multimodal processing, neurocognitive optimization, process-oriented pedagogies, and conceptual change
- Maps out future directions for cognition and translation studies, as well as areas in need of more research within this dynamic field
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll take a look Jul 13, 2017

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

- Contains original contributions from a global group of leading researchers from 18 countries
- Explores topics related to translator and workplace characteristics including machine translation, creativity, ergonomic perspectives, and cognitive effort, and competence, training, and interpreting such as multimodal processing, neurocognitive optimization, process-oriented pedagogies, and conceptual change
- Maps out future directions for cognition and translation studies, as well as areas in need of more research within this dynamic field

Thanks, Jean. I'm currently reading Roger Bell's book on translation. I'm still needing to find articles on writing and reading from a top-down/bottom-up perspective. Thanks all the same.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Top-down and bottom-up processes in reading for translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »