Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is it just me or do most translators struggle to write their own stuff from scratch?
Thread poster: Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jan 9, 2017

I’ve just been writing a blurb for my profile here, and as usual I've found it really hard to boil many competing thoughts down into something short and to the point. I have the same problem when I blog.

Is this because I’ve spent the past 25 years working with ideas that have already been processed and prioritised by someone else, or just down to my particular personality?

Elena Doroshenko
Elena Doroshenko  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Nothing new in the world Jan 9, 2017

It's very difficult to create something new and crystallize ideas into real world and words. And, to my opinion, this world has no new ideas and things - all of them had already taken place before us. So, you would be really lucky if caught something from the heaven that would seem new.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:42
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Practice and familiarity Jan 9, 2017

Is this because I’ve spent the past 25 years working with ideas that have already been processed and prioritised by someone else, or just down to my particular personality?

The former, I imagine. My previous day job consisted of writing reports from scratch and when I switched to freelance translation I, at least initially, had the opposite problem to that which you describe. That is, I found it a major challenge to "obey" the constrictions of an existing text rather than just rewriting it as I saw fit. It's what you're used to.

Dan

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 19:42
Russian to English
+ ...
It's just you Jan 9, 2017

Some of us here, when they are not regurgitating someone else's tired old stuff, write novels, short stories, travelogues, long epistolary ruminations a la Michel de Montaigne and what not. Even when they do have to tout the party line, quite often, these some of us don't even care much what the original actually says. What does it matter as long as it reads good? Hehe:)

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I'm a very good translator. I'm a terrible author. Jan 9, 2017

Chris S wrote:

Perhaps, like me, you just lack talent.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
@Elena Jan 9, 2017

Love this quote from a German comedian: “Everything has been said already, but not yet by everyone.” – Karl Valentin

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:42
Chinese to English
Depends Jan 9, 2017

It takes me more time and effort to produce a good translation than something of my own (whether fiction or non-fiction; see qualifier below). I suspect this is because my mind works in a borderline obsessive-compulsive manner, which means I pay too much respect to the literal meaning of the source material when translating. My first and second drafts of translations are invariably far too literal; it probably takes me an extra read-through than most to produce a translation that reaches a happy... See more
It takes me more time and effort to produce a good translation than something of my own (whether fiction or non-fiction; see qualifier below). I suspect this is because my mind works in a borderline obsessive-compulsive manner, which means I pay too much respect to the literal meaning of the source material when translating. My first and second drafts of translations are invariably far too literal; it probably takes me an extra read-through than most to produce a translation that reaches a happy medium between respecting the source and being readable in the target.

Edit: Just reread, the OPs post. The funny thing is that I DO struggle a lot with writing any sort of self-promotional material (website, proz profile, applications, etc.) So maybe this has nothing to do one's own stuff vs. translations, and more to do with this specific kind of self-promotional writing?

[Edited at 2017-01-09 19:55 GMT]
Collapse

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:42
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

maybe a cultural thing Jan 9, 2017

This is of course not about the OP who lives and works in the UK, but writing a self-promo style bio could be a cultural challenge for those who come from societies which consider common good or group reputation more important than individual fame or recognition.

In some East Asian countries, it takes young university graduates, translation students included, a workshop (e.g. CV Clinic) on CV writing to prepare them to enter the competitive job world, or they may face a huge hurdl
... See more
This is of course not about the OP who lives and works in the UK, but writing a self-promo style bio could be a cultural challenge for those who come from societies which consider common good or group reputation more important than individual fame or recognition.

In some East Asian countries, it takes young university graduates, translation students included, a workshop (e.g. CV Clinic) on CV writing to prepare them to enter the competitive job world, or they may face a huge hurdle in job seeking.
Collapse

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Nope - not this translator Jan 9, 2017

I've always been a competent writer - and divide my time between translation and literary writing (and write a column now and again for my brother who is newspaper editor).

When I do get stuck in my own writing, I treat it as writers block, and use all kinds of magic and rituals to get rid of it as soon as possible. This is not to say that all my writing turns out well the first time around. Editing very rough drafts is, however, part of both my writing and translation practice.
... See more
I've always been a competent writer - and divide my time between translation and literary writing (and write a column now and again for my brother who is newspaper editor).

When I do get stuck in my own writing, I treat it as writers block, and use all kinds of magic and rituals to get rid of it as soon as possible. This is not to say that all my writing turns out well the first time around. Editing very rough drafts is, however, part of both my writing and translation practice.

(but you did make me realize my profile here didn't go through that editing process - just never had the time).

[Edited at 2017-01-09 23:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-01-09 23:43 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The result of invasion of private time Jan 10, 2017

Yes, I can count myself in the bunch who find it harder to produce an original creative piece I can feel proud of. However, it was not like this in the past: I hope this does not sound paedantic, but I think my poems and short stories were pretty OK when I was younger. Over the last years I have produced some satisfying short pieces as well.

Now I am 50 years old, have worked full time (quite literally) as a translator for 23 years, have three children, and am finishing a degree in
... See more
Yes, I can count myself in the bunch who find it harder to produce an original creative piece I can feel proud of. However, it was not like this in the past: I hope this does not sound paedantic, but I think my poems and short stories were pretty OK when I was younger. Over the last years I have produced some satisfying short pieces as well.

Now I am 50 years old, have worked full time (quite literally) as a translator for 23 years, have three children, and am finishing a degree in Translation which I started four years ago just as a promise to myself. Increasing responsibility in the private sphere, invasion of my private time by my work, and the need to finish up in my studies successfully keep me under pressure, with the author inside between a rock and a hard place.

As it happens, I feel more creative and ideas flow much better when I write with pen and paper, alone in a crowdy, noisy place, like a bar, an airport, a restaurant. I cannot reproduce that setting at home or in the office, so it will have to wait until I have more free time.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I write less... Jan 10, 2017

I have always written a lot, but seem to write less now.

Before the days of computers with a delete key, I spent an enormous amount of time formulating in my head, before I put pen or pencil to paper. This was partly due to the restrictions of boarding school... Square bashing during the compulsory 'All-out' hour for fresh air, or unable to sleep due to unreasonably early bedtime or punishment - I was a troublemaker!
I would think my compositions through and rephrase them aga
... See more
I have always written a lot, but seem to write less now.

Before the days of computers with a delete key, I spent an enormous amount of time formulating in my head, before I put pen or pencil to paper. This was partly due to the restrictions of boarding school... Square bashing during the compulsory 'All-out' hour for fresh air, or unable to sleep due to unreasonably early bedtime or punishment - I was a troublemaker!
I would think my compositions through and rephrase them again and again, before writing down down an almost final version.

Now I often do the mental process on screen. The same goes for some of my translations - I rewrite and rephrase until the deadline. I think all that practice means the quality is reasonable at the first take. After a certain point, fiddling about does not improve things any more.

I write less from scratch, but still compose letters to the newspapers or discussions in the bath or while peeling vegetables... and am often quite pleased with the results.

Posts on this site get written, cut down, scrapped and sometimes rewritten, believe it or not!
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On second thoughts... Jan 10, 2017

Interesting comments.

I think actually Preston has hit it on the head (for me at least).

It's writing about myself that is the problem, not writing per se.

Which is pretty obvious now I think about it, given that I quite happily write English copy for clients.

How do you (a) sum up who you are, and (b) say how brilliant you are without sounding like a ****.

Which is especially difficult when you're trying to say how you're a bril
... See more
Interesting comments.

Which is pretty obvious now I think about it, given that I quite happily write English copy for clients.

How do you (a) sum up who you are, and (b) say how brilliant you are without sounding like a ****.

Which is especially difficult when you're trying to say how you're a brilliant writer

It's like all those emails I get from translators claiming to pay attention to detail but still managing to make spelling mistakes...
Collapse

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
You're not alone... Jan 10, 2017

Same thing here. Effortless in translation, inept in copywriting. I'd never be able to maintain a successful blog. Lack of talent and/or practice, I guess.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:42
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
I think professional writers also feel the pain... Jan 10, 2017

“Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead.”
―Gene Fowler

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't like selling my services Jan 10, 2017

Chris Schröder wrote:

Interesting comments.

Which is especially difficult when you're trying to say how you're a brilliant writer

I quite agree!

I'm very good at writing about everything I've achieved over the years but I just stick to the basic details. I don't think complete strangers really want to know what I've been doing for the past 43 years of my life, which is the length of time I've been working.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it just me or do most translators struggle to write their own stuff from scratch?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »