Natalia Sgibneva (X)
Natalia Sgibneva (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:40
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 3, 2017

Hello everybody!

I´m in the middle of a project full of technical abbreviations and I am really full of doubts about them. I will be writing in English, so everybody could understand, but basically I seek the replies from my Russian colleagues.
So, for example, when you see an abbreviation: АСУ ТП which means автоматизированная система управления технологическими процессами, so you translate the term and then y
... See more
Hello everybody!

I´m in the middle of a project full of technical abbreviations and I am really full of doubts about them. I will be writing in English, so everybody could understand, but basically I seek the replies from my Russian colleagues.
So, for example, when you see an abbreviation: АСУ ТП which means автоматизированная система управления технологическими процессами, so you translate the term and then you need to use an abbreviation throughout the text, so do you use ASU TP or the abbreviation formed by the words in the target language? In my case it is Spanish, so it will be "sistema automatizado de control de procesos tecnológicos" - SAC PT?

Thank you!

Natalia
Collapse

Ahmed Girach
Ahmed Girach
India
Local time: 05:10
Gujarati to English
+ ...
Abbreviations translation Jan 3, 2017

Abbreviatio should not be translated it should be transliterated. For for example USA should be transliterated in your language as yu es e. They can not be translated.They are usually generally acceptable abbreviation.You translae it and abbreviate translated version it will be wrongand misleading.

Agneta Pallinder
Agneta Pallinder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:40
Member (2014)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Only established abbreviations Jan 3, 2017

My languages are Swedish and English, but I guess the question is a universal one. I would only use an abbreviation in the target language if it is already established there, e.g United Nations - UN and in Swedish Förenta nationerna - FN. But I wouldn't make up a new abbreviation from the translated words.

Natalia Sgibneva (X)
Natalia Sgibneva (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And if there is no established abbreviation? Jan 3, 2017

If there is no established and well-known abbreviation for this term, but it is too long to keep using the entire form in the text, what to do then?

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:40
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Ask the client? Jan 3, 2017

I think the best thing to do in the case of abbreviations is to ask the client how they want you to handle them - whether to invent English abbreviations of your own or to continue using the abbreviations in the source language. The first time the abbreviations occur in the text you could give an explanation of them, either in square brackets or in a translator's footnote, for example, or you could provide a "glossary" of them in a separate file. Best to ask the client.

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
Unestablished Abbreviations Jan 3, 2017

If there is no equivalent in the target language, usually I translate - at the first occurrence - the full terms and then put in brackets the source language terms, followed by the abbreviation (transliterated, in your case), like this:

sistema automatizado de control de procesos tecnológicos (автоматизированная система управления технологическими процессами - ASU TP ).

HTH!

Edit to add:
Th
... See more
If there is no equivalent in the target language, usually I translate - at the first occurrence - the full terms and then put in brackets the source language terms, followed by the abbreviation (transliterated, in your case), like this:

sistema automatizado de control de procesos tecnológicos (автоматизированная система управления технологическими процессами - ASU TP ).

HTH!

Edit to add:
This way, the reader knows what the abbreviation means and you can just use it throughout the rest of the document instead of the full term.

[Edited at 2017-01-03 12:17 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
As Jenny says, ask the client Jan 3, 2017

I've been translating texts about the new Spanish tax system known as SII (Immediate Information Sharing).
When we began the project, I asked the client if I should translate it as IIS, which seemed the logical thing to do. At the time, they said yes. However, today they sent me some more documents on the subject and they have decided that the abbreviation is better left in the Spanish - SII.

On other occasions, I've come up against other abbreviations but without being able t
... See more
I've been translating texts about the new Spanish tax system known as SII (Immediate Information Sharing).
When we began the project, I asked the client if I should translate it as IIS, which seemed the logical thing to do. At the time, they said yes. However, today they sent me some more documents on the subject and they have decided that the abbreviation is better left in the Spanish - SII.

On other occasions, I've come up against other abbreviations but without being able to ask the client, which is when I turn to proz / kudoz, which has often been very helpful.

С новым годом!

Happy New Year!

Feliz Año Nuevo!

[Edited at 2017-01-03 19:46 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:40
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You can easily change them afterwards Jan 4, 2017

Now matter how you decide, if they complain you can search and replace the string by the one they prefer. At least in Spanish or English no problem. I would make up an abbreviation so that I can speed up my translation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of abbreviations

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »