Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Really only 2500 words a day?
Thread poster: Steven Foster (X)
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Please remember Site Rule#2: Mutual respect, professionalism and fair play are expected. Site users are expected to treat each other with courtesy, whether posting publicly or making direct contact, and are advised to act under the assumption of good faith. Harassment of, or attacks or ad hominem statements on, individuals or groups, of any form, as well as discouragement of another's use of the site, will not be tolerated. No action aimed at gaining unfair advantage in KudoZ, the directory or elsewhere, whether taken alone or as a group, will be tolerated.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Please remember Site Rule#2: Mutual respect, professionalism and fair play are expected. Site users are expected to treat each other with courtesy, whether posting publicly or making direct contact, and are advised to act under the assumption of good faith. Harassment of, or attacks or ad hominem statements on, individuals or groups, of any form, as well as discouragement of another's use of the site, will not be tolerated. No action aimed at gaining unfair advantage in KudoZ, the directory or elsewhere, whether taken alone or as a group, will be tolerated.
Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 07:49
Chinese to English
+ ...
None of anybody else's business Dec 15, 2016

If you think that somebody's work rate is unfathomably slow or unimaginably fast, that's none of your business. We all have different priorities. I for one am entirely comfortable working 365 days a year and cannot imagine anything more miserable than two idle weeks, and nobody has any business commentating on my way of life.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:49
French to Spanish
+ ...
Absolutely Dec 15, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:

... but it does sound like competitive running, which translation is not, the last time I checked.

Your figures seem exaggerated or more like a professional typist figures (but even they have time limits in order not to jeopardize accuracy). If you work in a patent office dealing with the same or similar type of files and materials daily, the process may indeed resemble typing or copy-pasting (with a great deal of repetitions).

I agree. Steven said "I can type" instead of "I can translate".

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 01:49
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I never promise more than 10,000 new words a week Dec 15, 2016

I have managed 4000 words in a day - the first time was in house, for a magazine with an easy style, a lot of chit-chat and not much special terminology. I can do bursts at that level, but I can't sustain them.

Way back, I proofread patent specifications at a printer's for a couple of years. (This was monolingual proofreading, NOT revising and editing.) The language is often stereotyped and quite repetitive within each document. Pure gobbledegook as far as I was concerned, but my jo
... See more
I have managed 4000 words in a day - the first time was in house, for a magazine with an easy style, a lot of chit-chat and not much special terminology. I can do bursts at that level, but I can't sustain them.

Way back, I proofread patent specifications at a printer's for a couple of years. (This was monolingual proofreading, NOT revising and editing.) The language is often stereotyped and quite repetitive within each document. Pure gobbledegook as far as I was concerned, but my job then was NOT to understand the text, it was to find the printing errors. (It was a terrible job, BTW - I spent all my spare time looking for something else!)

With a CAT tool - do you use one? - and a good glossary, I am sure people could get familiar enough with the subject to get through quite large numbers of overall words in some languages, English included, and possibly German t some extent.

I personally can't type very fast; the problem is an innate lack of manual dexterity and coordination, not effort and practice in learning to touch-type! However, with a computer and AutoCorrect, that is not the limiting factor when I translate. I simply cannot translate faster.

It depends to some extent which language you are counting words in. If you take 1000 words of English, you get something like 20-25% less on average in Danish and Swedish, and I believe the difference is even greater with German and Finnish. I don't know whether this was what Matthias Brombach had in mind.
The difference goes the other way with romance languages - I believe you get more words in French or Spanish, for instance, than in English.

As others have pointed out, the subject matter makes a big difference, and another factor is the use of inflections, articles and so on. It is many years since I have translated from German, and I have never counted words as such. More often I wrote abstracts rather than actually translating, and I never spent a whole day on it. But as others have pointed out, the use of inflections, diacritics and so on make a big difference, not only to typing, but to how useful a CAT tool is.

Fuzzy matches may be totally useless if you have to change the gender all the way through, or things like that - you end up retyping the sentence anyway. I am lucky - in my language pairs fuzzy matches down to 75% may be useful, though below 90% their usefulness is probably limited.
With regard to formatting, a CAT may take care of it 100%, or it may convert a neat presentation into a nightmare... and I have spent more time on formatting in some cases than on actually translating!

I am always annoyed by word counts. They reduce translation somehow to an amorphous mass like groceries. Together with other considerations, the word count is a useful measurement, but it is only a single factor in the wider picture. Like how many kilos of vegetables does a supermarket sell each day? The question is not totally irrelevant, but the answer is meaningless as an isolated figure.
Collapse

Carolina Garrido
Carolina Garrido  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:49
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
Thread locked temporarily Dec 15, 2016

This thread has been locked temporarily to preserve the spirit of mutual respect, professionalism and fair play stated in Site Rule #2. It will be unlocked after 24 hours.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Really only 2500 words a day?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »