Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
:) Dec 14, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Melina Kajander wrote:

Although I don't quite understand why your daughter's wedding would not be "a nice experience", but maybe that sounds different / has different connotations in Italian?

She was referring not to the wedding day, but to the whole process ... meeting, dating for a few months, getting married, being married and possibly having children. Apparently all that is an "experience" now.

It could be worse...it could be a journey.

Ah, now I see what what was meant - although I think journey actually describes it better than experience...

(And a few months seems a *very* quick journey of that kind to me, but that might be a cultural difference... )

Natalia Sgibneva (X)
Natalia Sgibneva (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:19
English to Russian
+ ...
Totally agree Dec 15, 2016

I am Russian living in Spain for almost ten years already. And really I can totally agree with you. Speaking another language every day really influences a lot. I am doing my best to preserve my knowledge, besides, I am graduated in Russian philology so I am supposed to have very high level of my own language. I read a lot in Russian in Internet, I purchased some books on Russian stylistics and grammar, so I think this is the way not to lose your level, above all when your income depends on it.<... See more
I am Russian living in Spain for almost ten years already. And really I can totally agree with you. Speaking another language every day really influences a lot. I am doing my best to preserve my knowledge, besides, I am graduated in Russian philology so I am supposed to have very high level of my own language. I read a lot in Russian in Internet, I purchased some books on Russian stylistics and grammar, so I think this is the way not to lose your level, above all when your income depends on it.

[Edited at 2016-12-15 10:17 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Living in a country where the language is different from your native

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »