Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]
This has doubled my work performance! Have you tried dictation?
Thread poster: Dylan J Hartmann
Paulette Romero
Paulette Romero  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 20:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Of course they exist Nov 27, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Jessica Noyes wrote:

Probably thirty years ago, one of the first working translators I ever met told me that he dictated his translations using a Dictaphone. Then an associate who was a fast typist would transcribe the tapes (or whatever a Dictaphone has). He said that even though he was paying the assistant, he was still making more money because of his high output.

I don't think typists exist any more. That used to be a qualification and a job (Pitman shorthand and typing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjoigPf4IzE

[Edited at 2016-10-24 14:28 GMT]

Typists most certainly exist, especially in law firms. I know because I was a legal secretary for 11 years. In the USA attorneys usually dictate into a Dictaphone and then they hand the cassette tape to a secretary or word processor to type up for them. This is VERY common in law firms around the country. What isn't common is dictating out loud to your secretary and having her use shorthand although there are some very elderly attorneys who prefer this method, but nowadays everyone uses a Dictaphone.

Paulette Romero
Paulette Romero  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 20:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
DNS 13 Nov 27, 2016

I recently installed DNS 13 and have been using it for a few days. At first I tried using my Sony earbuds that I use to listen to music with thinking it should work because it comes with a mic. Nope! Didn't work at all. So I purchased an over the ear headset with mic by Logitech and it works great!

I get a lot of transcription work and my arms get so tired from all the typing that I figured there must be a better way to work. Then I discovered Dragon! I'm using DNS 13 and I'm ve
... See more
I recently installed DNS 13 and have been using it for a few days. At first I tried using my Sony earbuds that I use to listen to music with thinking it should work because it comes with a mic. Nope! Didn't work at all. So I purchased an over the ear headset with mic by Logitech and it works great!

I get a lot of transcription work and my arms get so tired from all the typing that I figured there must be a better way to work. Then I discovered Dragon! I'm using DNS 13 and I'm very impressed with it. I just spent about 20 minutes dictating an old file I received just to do some practice and the errors it makes are minimal, usually exclusive to company names or brands.

I haven't used it for translation yet but that will be the next test. I completely expect Dragon to improve my overall productivity in the next couple of months.

[Edited at 2016-11-27 17:10 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

This has doubled my work performance! Have you tried dictation?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »