Spain
Local time: 00:03
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Rules regarding upper case/capital letters Nov 7, 2014

Alex Lago wrote:

Werner Maurer wrote:

Helena, cuando tomaba clases de español me enseñaron que cuando se trata de CAPITALES las tildes son opcionales, y algunos hasta dicen que deben desparecer.

[Edited at 2014-11-07 01:44 GMT]

En el diccionario panhispánico de dudas de la RAE indica claramente:

1.1. El empleo de la mayúscula no exime de poner la tilde cuando así lo exijan las reglas de acentuación (→ tilde2, 7): ÁFRICA, África. Únicamente las siglas, que se escriben enteramente en mayúsculas, no llevan nunca tilde: CIA (del ingl. Central Intelligence Agency), y no CÍA

Werner, I quite agree.

Tilde en las mayúsculas
Las letras mayúsculas deben escribirse con tilde si les corresponde llevarla según las reglas de acentuación gráfica del español, tanto si se trata de palabras escritas en su totalidad con mayúsculas como si se trata únicamente de la mayúscula inicial:

Su hijo se llama Ángel.
administración
ATENCIÓN, POR FAVOR.

La Real Academia Española nunca ha establecido una norma en sentido contrario.
La acentuación gráfica de las letras mayúsculas no es opcional, sino obligatoria, y afecta a cualquier tipo de texto. Las únicas mayúsculas que no se acentúan son las que forman parte de las siglas; así, CIA (sigla del inglés Central Intelligence Agency) no lleva tilde, aunque el hiato entre la vocal cerrada tónica y la vocal abierta átona exigiría, según las reglas de acentuación, tildar la i.
- See more at: http://www.rae.es/consultas/tilde-en-las-mayusculas#sthash.u4DR3UWc.dpuf

Oriol Vives (X)
Oriol Vives (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Catalan
+ ...
I would not touch proper nouns when translating Nov 7, 2014

That's why it always surprises me how some Spanish press and translators always put a stress on names that don't have it, like "Cameron Díaz" (wait, who?), Andy "García" (wasn't the professional name Garcia? Do they know him personally?) or Sophia "Sofía" Loren (well, more than just a stress here), or even world-wide authors like Jules Verne, inexplicably known as "Julio Verne", or Alexandre Dumas, "Alejandro" in the intimacy. It may be their microwave not working properly, I don't know. Pers... See more
That's why it always surprises me how some Spanish press and translators always put a stress on names that don't have it, like "Cameron Díaz" (wait, who?), Andy "García" (wasn't the professional name Garcia? Do they know him personally?) or Sophia "Sofía" Loren (well, more than just a stress here), or even world-wide authors like Jules Verne, inexplicably known as "Julio Verne", or Alexandre Dumas, "Alejandro" in the intimacy. It may be their microwave not working properly, I don't know. Personally, it bugs me and I feel offended for the same reasons some colleagues argued here.

As for the stress on capitals, it is true that the Spanish Academy has approved very recently (2012 update if I am correct) that capitals have to be stressed without exception, but it is also true that until this update the stress on capital letters was optional, mostly because many Spanish users were lazy and didn't put it when writing (yes, I have seen many students in my teaching days writing a whole text in capitals just to avoid stressing any word). We all know this, no matter what they say now (I have never...!). So nobody was taught wrong; it is just something that they changed very recently.
Collapse

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Print Nov 7, 2014

Oriol Vives wrote:

..................... but it is also true that until this update the stress on capital letters was optional, mostly because many Spanish users were lazy and didn't put it when writing (yes, I have seen many students in my teaching days writing a whole text in capitals just to avoid stressing any word). We all know this,

The custom of not using accents on capitals originated many years ago with newspapers which:

a) couldn't afford to use the extra characters needed to reproduce them
b) simply didn't have the print technology to use them.

People would see capitals without accents in newspapers and other "official" documents and assume they weren't required.

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A legal document in which some (most) of the accents are missing Apr 14, 2017

I've nearly finished translating a legal document and most, though not all, of the accents on proper names in uppercase are missing. There are also a few mistakes, but I can deal with those by writing [sic] afterwards.

Throughout the whole translation I've copied the names as they appear in the original but I feel I've made the wrong decision. I was taught not to make any changes to legal documents, although a few years ago I worked f
... See more
I've nearly finished translating a legal document and most, though not all, of the accents on proper names in uppercase are missing. There are also a few mistakes, but I can deal with those by writing [sic] afterwards.

Throughout the whole translation I've copied the names as they appear in the original but I feel I've made the wrong decision. I was taught not to make any changes to legal documents, although a few years ago I worked for a client who made me add any missing accents.

For example, in the same document you can read 'FUNDACION', 'Fundación' and 'FUNDACIÓN', or 'RAMON', 'Ramón' and 'RAMÓN'.

I would appreciate your opinions.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Because it sounds TRIS 'tan Apr 15, 2017

Triston Goodwin wrote:

Henry Hinds wrote:
Leave them in

That is my practice and is also followed by many leading publictions in the USA.

I totally agree.

Though I have found that most Spanish speakers will add a tilde to my name when written and spoken (Tristón - which is strange because I'm generally a happy guy).

[Edited at 2014-11-06 16:22 GMT]

Hi, Triston,

Hahahah, just a funny coincidence, because, I think Triston is a variant spelling of Tristan (Tristán in Spanish).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Accents on names in Spanish to English Translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »