Thread poster: Valeria Burova
Valeria Burova
Valeria Burova  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 04:36
Member (2014)
English to Russian
Apr 21, 2017

Dear colleagues, I have faced quite curious situation: I was offered to do test translation for some agency I applied to and after requesting test results I have figured out that my test was reviewed by non-native that left Bulgarian words in comments and confused all possible types of mistakes leaving Grammar everywhere instead of Style or Preferential and some of suggested translations were worse than mine and lacking the knowledge of Russian grammar indeed, plus the way things were expressed ... See more
Dear colleagues, I have faced quite curious situation: I was offered to do test translation for some agency I applied to and after requesting test results I have figured out that my test was reviewed by non-native that left Bulgarian words in comments and confused all possible types of mistakes leaving Grammar everywhere instead of Style or Preferential and some of suggested translations were worse than mine and lacking the knowledge of Russian grammar indeed, plus the way things were expressed is definitely not «Russian».

I pointed the issue stating that such test can not be considered as valid as this is not in line with established standards and asked if they are actually aware that their editor is not Russian at all and basically after some promise to clarify the situation my emails were just ignored which means I've wasted time for testing and more likely lost the opportunity to work on some project because of all the above and they seem not to care at all.

Is there anything you could advice on that? I can't even share this at BB for other Russian translators because of established rules...

Thanks much.
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:36
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Look at the bright side Apr 21, 2017

Oh, yeah - both languages use the Cyrillic alphabet...
Imagine if they made the same stupid mistake with an actual job they assigned to you...
I think it is good that you discovered these issues before accepting an actual job. You wouldn't want to work with these people, would you?

Valeria Burova
Indonesia
Member (2014)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Of course it's crazy Apr 21, 2017

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

Oh, yeah - both languages use the Cyrillic alphabet...
Imagine if they made the same stupid mistake with an actual job they assigned to you...
I think it is good that you discovered these issues before accepting an actual job. You wouldn't want to work with these people, would you?

Working with the agency like that could be hell, I just wanted to affect the situation somehow and draw their attention to it and if they don't really care - draw the attention of translators.

[Редактировалось 2017-04-21 15:51 GMT]

[Редактировалось 2017-04-21 15:51 GMT]

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 21:36
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Look at the bright side of the issue Apr 21, 2017

At least they gave you feedback so you could rebut their claims and object to the result or justify your choices. It would have left you worse if you had not received any news and no job knowing you had done a good translation but not having received any sort of result. Just one of those things; don't dwell or linger on it, move forward now. It is good that you spoke here and if it makes you feel better and if possible, either send it to someone you trust for a second opinion and tell them or mo... See more
At least they gave you feedback so you could rebut their claims and object to the result or justify your choices. It would have left you worse if you had not received any news and no job knowing you had done a good translation but not having received any sort of result. Just one of those things; don't dwell or linger on it, move forward now. It is good that you spoke here and if it makes you feel better and if possible, either send it to someone you trust for a second opinion and tell them or move on. Don't know what else you can do really if they are not answering your emails. good luck.

[Edited at 2017-04-22 12:39 GMT]
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:36
French to English
Tests are like interviews : for testor and testee Apr 23, 2017

If you consider a test as being like an interview for a job, then you will see that you have been lucky here. If this is how this agency works, you have been lucky to discover this now rather than when working on a job for which you expect to be paid. These are not people you want to work with. It's hard when you want and need to work, but some clients are more trouble than they are worth. This one seems to belong to that club. Forget this one and look for others.

When interviewing
... See more
If you consider a test as being like an interview for a job, then you will see that you have been lucky here. If this is how this agency works, you have been lucky to discover this now rather than when working on a job for which you expect to be paid. These are not people you want to work with. It's hard when you want and need to work, but some clients are more trouble than they are worth. This one seems to belong to that club. Forget this one and look for others.

When interviewing for a job, interviewees do forget the importance of reciprocity. The interviewer asks lots of questions and the interviewee feels he/she is in a position of weakness. In terms of stress, that is the case! However, if you have been called to interview, it means the company is interested in you. They need someone. It might not be you, but they do need someone. That gives you a certain amount of strength.

Based on performance in an interview, the company may not offer you the job. Likewise, based on what you discover at the interview, you may refuse a job offer. The same is true of translator and client.

Good luck with the next test.

[Edited at 2017-04-23 09:15 GMT]
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:36
Russian to English
+ ...
Well, the editor does not have to be Russian or English -- Apr 23, 2017

they have to know Russian or English, or yet another language to the highest level. Certainly, you should tell them that they corrected Russian into Bulgarian, and they should disregard the test altogether. Shame on them.

[Edited at 2017-04-23 11:01 GMT]

Valeria Burova
Indonesia
Member (2014)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 23, 2017

Josephine Cassar wrote:

At least they gave you feedback so you could rebut their claims and object to the result or justify your choices. It would have left you worse if you had not received any news and no job knowing you had done a good translation but not having received any sort of result. Just one of those things; don't dwell or linger on it, move forward now. It is good that you spoke here and if it makes you feel better and if possible, either send it to someone you trust for a second opinion and tell them or move on. Don't know what else you can do really if they are not answering your emails. good luck.

[Edited at 2017-04-22 12:39 GMT]

Of course, I discussed results with competent collegue and he shares my opinion. Yes, I am moving on!

Valeria Burova
Indonesia
Member (2014)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
I competely agree Apr 23, 2017

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

These are not people you want to work with. It's hard when you want and need to work, but some clients are more trouble than they are worth. This one seems to belong to that club. Forget this one and look for others.

Good luck with the next test.

[Edited at 2017-04-23 09:15 GMT]

It was very demonstrative, as well as their attitude after everything was revealed. Thanks for kind words!

Valeria Burova
Indonesia
Member (2014)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Highest level is not the case Apr 23, 2017

LilianNekipelov wrote:

they have to know Russian or English, or yet another language to the highest level. Certainly, you should tell them that they corrected Russian into Bulgarian, and they should disregard the test altogether. Shame on them.

[Edited at 2017-04-23 11:01 GMT]

As I said the reviewer has demonstrated total lack of knowledge of Russian grammar and what kind of mistakes any instance refer to linguistically, it was not about translating into Bulgarian, Bulgarian words were left in comment about corrections.

Moreover as I know from my experience and what customers say: in most cases it is not appropriate even for a native one who lives in another country for 18 years to translate into native language. Not to mention someone who just knows second language at highest level... I would even allow this to happen in case with translation that would later be edited by proper native reviewer but definitely not more than this. This is high standards.

[Редактировалось 2017-04-23 13:29 GMT]

[Редактировалось 2017-04-23 13:30 GMT]

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:36
Russian to English
Sorry but... Apr 23, 2017

Valeria Burova wrote:

Moreover as I know from my experience and what customers say: in most cases it is not appropriate even for a native one who lives in another country for 18 years to translate into native language.

This is total nonsense and to disseminate it is irresponsible. I've lived in Russia for 19 years and in my subject areas you'll be hard pressed to find a better person to translate into English. Living in one's source country gives you in many respects an understanding of the source language that you can't get living in your native country.

[Edited at 2017-04-23 14:55 GMT]

Valeria Burova
Indonesia
Member (2014)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Ok Apr 23, 2017

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

Valeria Burova wrote:

Moreover as I know from my experience and what customers say: in most cases it is not appropriate even for a native one who lives in another country for 18 years to translate into native language.

This is total nonsense and to disseminate it is irresponsible. I've lived in Russia for 19 years and in my subject areas you'll be hard pressed to find a better person to translate into English. Living in one's source country gives you in many respects an understanding of the source language that you can't get living in your native country.

Tell this to those upscale customers that were not happy with such translations or to owners of respectful and expensive translation agencies who share this position.

[Редактировалось 2017-04-23 16:03 GMT]

Ilan Rubin (X)
Russian Federation
Russian to English
Why should I? Apr 23, 2017

Valeria Burova wrote:

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

Valeria Burova wrote:

Tell this to those upscale customers that were not happy with such translations or to owners of respectful and expensive translation agencies who share this position.

It's their problem, not mine. But you should not disseminate this nonsense.

Valeria Burova
Indonesia
Member (2014)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but Apr 23, 2017

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

Valeria Burova wrote:

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

Valeria Burova wrote:

I will decide myself what to do.

Ilan Rubin (X)
Russian Federation
Russian to English
You are welcome Apr 23, 2017

Valeria Burova wrote:

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

Valeria Burova wrote:

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

Valeria Burova wrote:

I will decide myself what to do.

Why not write all ginger-headed translators are bad? It makes just as much sense.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
One lesson from this... Apr 23, 2017

... is to avoid doing sample translations unless there is a specific job in prospect, and you have a reasonable chance of getting it. Otherwise, just put some samples on your website and ProZ profile, and refer prospective customers to those.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reviewed by non-native

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »