US Department of Defense announces recipients of 10-year language services contract

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "US Department of Defense announces recipients of 10-year language services contract".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 07:54
English to Arabic
+ ...
Those contract awardees - finding qualified bilinguals and then getting them USG security clearances Mar 9, 2017

Thanks for this interesting post about this newest development with the now-famous / notorious DLITE contract.

The mentioned language service-provider firms, which were awarded their respective portions of that DLITE II contract, will be very busy in future with finding a new batch of qualified bilinguals and then getting them processed for granting of the required US Government (surmise Dept of Defense/US Army) personnel security clearances and related special access "tickets."
... See more
Thanks for this interesting post about this newest development with the now-famous / notorious DLITE contract.

The mentioned language service-provider firms, which were awarded their respective portions of that DLITE II contract, will be very busy in future with finding a new batch of qualified bilinguals and then getting them processed for granting of the required US Government (surmise Dept of Defense/US Army) personnel security clearances and related special access "tickets."

That clearance process reportedly now takes a minimum of twelve months (longer if the associated "tickets" are involved), according to the already-hardworking Facility Security Officers (FSOs) at a few of those firms.

I mention "growing a new batch" of cleared bilinguals because most of the bilinguals who have previously been processed, cleared and hold active-status clearances, are already employed and unlikely to leave their incentive-loaded present positions. A parallel and considerable factor is that this amendment to DLITE II means an increase in the demand and deployments for cleared linguists (having been one on several occasions to support US Central Command and USSOCOM).

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
Senior veteran Arabic linguist
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Speaking of clearances Mar 10, 2017

The whole clearance thing for working with agencies holding government contracts makes me mercurial. For one thing, I see adverts for linguists in a number of sought-after languages (including Spanish) but the linguist must already have a top secret clearance or some other type of classified clearance.

How are competent translators supposed to obtain such a clearance on their own? Answer: it's impossible, you have to be sponsored.

I've been through background checks num
... See more
The whole clearance thing for working with agencies holding government contracts makes me mercurial. For one thing, I see adverts for linguists in a number of sought-after languages (including Spanish) but the linguist must already have a top secret clearance or some other type of classified clearance.

How are competent translators supposed to obtain such a clearance on their own? Answer: it's impossible, you have to be sponsored.

I've been through background checks numerous times. Half of the questions, even for a US citizen like myself, are childishly nonsensical.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US Department of Defense announces recipients of 10-year language services contract

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »