Thread poster: Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh"
Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu
Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh"
Türkiye
Local time: 19:14
Turkish to English
+ ...
Jul 9, 2016

I have a US-based client who cannot transfer an amount of approx. 300 USD and he says "It seems that we tried to deposit money from our bank account in the Skrill account so we could pay you, but Skrill was having computer issues with those types of accounts. Now we've been trying to deposit the money by credit card, which costs more, but Skrill is still not approving the transaction. We will try again, but so far each attempt has been unsuccessful."

Are there any problems in maki
... See more
I have a US-based client who cannot transfer an amount of approx. 300 USD and he says "It seems that we tried to deposit money from our bank account in the Skrill account so we could pay you, but Skrill was having computer issues with those types of accounts. Now we've been trying to deposit the money by credit card, which costs more, but Skrill is still not approving the transaction. We will try again, but so far each attempt has been unsuccessful."

Are there any problems in making payments via skrill from the USA to other countries?
Collapse

Oksana Weiss
Oksana Weiss  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:14
Member (2011)
German to English
+ ...
No go from USA Jul 11, 2016

I don't know, why is that, but customers from USA (both companies and private persons) cannot pay with skrill. Three most common options for them to pay are PayPal, bank transfer and bank cheque. At least, that was my experience for years. Perhaps others could clarify why is it so.

Türkiye
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oksana Jul 11, 2016

Oksana Weiss wrote:

I don't know, why is that, but customers from USA (both companies and private persons) cannot pay with skrill. Three most common options for them to pay are PayPal, bank transfer and bank cheque. At least, that was my experience for years. Perhaps others could clarify why is it so.

I hope so. I really cannot believe in the situation. As you may know paypal has suspended its activities in Turkey and Skrill seems to be the only alternative and this situation is really very bad now. Thanks for your kind answer.

traductorchile
traductorchile  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 12:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Is it a Skrill issue or a US banking issue? Jul 12, 2016

Some years ago I heard Skrill couldn't be used by US clients and banks because of US rulings. Apparently the fact that Skrill accepted money transactions between betting websites and their clients was the excuse to disallow Skrill in the USA market. Others believed it was a way to protect PayPal (A US company) from the better competition Skrill offers.
I understand there are other options from the USA, like XOOM. Haven't tried it but you might want to check.

Türkiye
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the information Jul 13, 2016

traductorchile wrote:

Some years ago I heard Skrill couldn't be used by US clients and banks because of US rulings. Apparently the fact that Skrill accepted money transactions between betting websites and their clients was the excuse to disallow Skrill in the USA market. Others believed it was a way to protect PayPal (A US company) from the better competition Skrill offers.
I understand there are other options from the USA, like XOOM. Haven't tried it but you might want to check.

Anyway XOOM also does not work in countries where Paypal is not allowed because it is a PayPal service. It may be possible to work with Moneygram or Western Union bu tI am still waiting for ideas from colleagues. Thanks in advance.

acetran
acetran  Identity Verified
English to Hindi
+ ...
Skrill is complicated Jul 13, 2016

Unlike PayPal, Skrill needs a lot of confirmations -- bank, amount, etc. It can get very complicated at times. None of my translators want to get paid in Skrill.
And since the charges are very high for Skrill, I do not want to get paid from my clients either.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:14
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Skrill does work in the USA these days, but... Jul 13, 2016

Halil Ibrahim Tutuncuoglu "Бёcäטsع Լîfe's cômplicåtعd eñøugh" wrote:
I have a US-based client who ... says "It seems that we tried to deposit money from our bank account in the Skrill account so we could pay you, but Skrill was having computer issues with those types of accounts. Now we've been trying to deposit the money by credit card, which costs more, but Skrill is still not approving the transaction."

In the past, USA clients could not use Skrill, due to something to do with gambling, but these days Skrill does work in the USA. But since this is an online payment system that tries to reconcile a variety of international payment methods, there is always a risk that some bank account from some client is some town or city will proved to be incompatible with it.

On Skrill's web site, it shows that bank transfer fund uploads are free from the USA, MasterCard/Visa uploads cost 3%, and PaySafeCard uploads cost 7%. Skrill also charges for sending money, namely 1% (PayPal charges for receiving money, namely 3%), so it may appear expensive to clients who are used to free sending with PayPal.

Skrill does not mention any other type of credit card except these three, so it may be that your client is trying to add funds with a different credit card.

Türkiye
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Skrill says Jul 14, 2016

Skrill allows for sending and receiving payments in 41 currencies, supporting major credit and debit cards. Restrictions include countries on US and/or EU economic sanctions list. Since 2008, US-based customers could not receive money from non-US Skrill accounts, and non-US customers could not upload funds or send payments using US payment cards or bank accounts.[citation needed] As of September 2013, United States was not included on the list of supported countries. As of March 2015, United Sta... See more
Skrill allows for sending and receiving payments in 41 currencies, supporting major credit and debit cards. Restrictions include countries on US and/or EU economic sanctions list. Since 2008, US-based customers could not receive money from non-US Skrill accounts, and non-US customers could not upload funds or send payments using US payment cards or bank accounts.[citation needed] As of September 2013, United States was not included on the list of supported countries. As of March 2015, United States is included in the list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skrill

Is it safe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG5Qk-jB0D4

Yes, it should be safe.
Collapse

Türkiye
Turkish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In a nutshell Jul 16, 2016

the question is "Can nobody in the USA make payments via Skrill?" although I receive payments from four corners of the world. I would really appreciate if somebody kindly illuminates me on this issue.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Skrill in the USA

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »