Right of rework/rectification according to American law
Thread poster: vkrauch
vkrauch
vkrauch
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
Oct 17, 2014

Hello, I need your advice on the following. I'm a freelance translator from Germany and did a big job for a translation agency settled in New York a while ago. Now they sent me a mail telling me that their client is not satisfied and they don't want to pay me. They argue that according to their general terms and conditions I am obliged to deliver good quality, but their client thinks that the quality is bad and therefore they don't have to pay. I offered the agency to correct or adapt my transla... See more
Hello, I need your advice on the following. I'm a freelance translator from Germany and did a big job for a translation agency settled in New York a while ago. Now they sent me a mail telling me that their client is not satisfied and they don't want to pay me. They argue that according to their general terms and conditions I am obliged to deliver good quality, but their client thinks that the quality is bad and therefore they don't have to pay. I offered the agency to correct or adapt my translation according to their wishes but they said the client had preferred to do it himself. My question: Is there a right to rework/rectification according to American law and where is this regulated? (I know that this is the case in Germany but I don't know much about American law). I really hope somebody can help ...Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Fraud Oct 17, 2014

It's surely an attempt to defraud you by not paying for your work. This is not the first time it has happened. Live and learn.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:35
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Due diligence? Oct 18, 2014

Henry is right. We all seem to have to learn this lesson at some point. Was due diligence done on your client before accepting the job? The BlueBoard goes a long way in separating clients with a history of satisfactory payment from those who don't. Do you know if they are actually in New York? I was burned once by an agency that claimed to be in Sydney, Australia, but when I tried to chase them for non-payment they were nowhere to be found. Certainly not in Sydney.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Right of rework/rectification according to American law

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »