Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani
Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:41
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Mar 13, 2014

Hi!

To put my question in a nutshell: what are the cheapest universities in the United States offering programs at Ph.D level of Translation Studies?

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Google Mar 13, 2014

Start your research there.

Tim Friese
Tim Friese  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:41
Member (2013)
Arabic to English
+ ...
I don't understand why you would want the cheapest Ph.D. possible? Mar 13, 2014

If on the one hand your goal is to be a practicing freelance translator, I don't see why you would want a Ph.D. Most translators don't have one and they still have very successful careers. A degree (MA or otherwise) in the field you want to translate (law, engineering, etc.) would probably be a better investment.

On the other hand, if you really do NEED a Ph.D (but why? to be a professor of translation?), you probably want a good (read: prestigious) one and not just a cheap one...

Türkiye
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Personal reasons Mar 13, 2014

Tim Friese wrote:

If on the one hand your goal is to be a practicing freelance translator, I don't see why you would want a Ph.D. Most translators don't have one and they still have very successful careers. A degree (MA or otherwise) in the field you want to translate (law, engineering, etc.) would probably be a better investment.

On the other hand, if you really do NEED a Ph.D (but why? to be a professor of translation?), you probably want a good (read: prestigious) one and not just a cheap one...

For some personal reasons, I need a cheap university to continue my studies at Ph.D level. I love Translation Studies more than any other thing, that's why I'd like to do so. As far as I know that you are from the U.S., be kind enough to give me a hand in this matter, would you please?
I'm obliged to you for this matter. Thanks in advance!

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Some ideas to get started... Mar 14, 2014

I cannot recommend specific degree programs. However, universities in the United States are either private (generally expensive) or funded by the state (generally cheaper). International students usually pay higher fees across the board. At the same time, they are often eligible for grants and other forms of financial aid...so cheaper is often relative depending on the type of aid you are able to acquire, which may also depend on your willingness to take loans. Here are two lists of schools offe... See more
I cannot recommend specific degree programs. However, universities in the United States are either private (generally expensive) or funded by the state (generally cheaper). International students usually pay higher fees across the board. At the same time, they are often eligible for grants and other forms of financial aid...so cheaper is often relative depending on the type of aid you are able to acquire, which may also depend on your willingness to take loans. Here are two lists of schools offering translations studies:

http://www.utdallas.edu/alta/pdf/AcademicDegreesA-N.pdf

http://www.altalang.com/beyond-words/2009/09/23/top-10-us-translation-schools/

You will probably need to go through these or similar lists to identify the programs of possible interest of you. These are just the first two links I came across by doing a Google search.

By visiting the websites of the universities or getting in touch with their admissions departments, you will be able to determine the costs for the various programs. Admissions counselors may further be able to direct you towards sources of financial aid for international students. You should also keep in mind the cost of living in different states, which can vary greatly depending on whether you live in a big city or a more rural area. Employment opportunities in each area are another thing to factor in, especially if you need to support yourself while undertaking your studies.
Collapse

Türkiye
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 14, 2014

Thanks for your kindness Mr. Abdullah. Thanks for the time you spared me!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Translation Studies in U.S

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »