First year as a Resident working as a freelance translator
Thread poster: pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 5, 2013

I became a US resident on March 1, 2013 and I am currently supporting myself with translations, only. I read that being self-employed I have to pay taxes every quarter, but when I tried to fill an online tax return before the first due date (April 15), all of the forms referenced to 2012 - when I wasn't a resident yet.
I am a Florida resident, so my issue concerns federal taxes, only.

Also, how do you pay taxes? Through a check, bank transfer, credit card?

Thank
... See more
I became a US resident on March 1, 2013 and I am currently supporting myself with translations, only. I read that being self-employed I have to pay taxes every quarter, but when I tried to fill an online tax return before the first due date (April 15), all of the forms referenced to 2012 - when I wasn't a resident yet.
I am a Florida resident, so my issue concerns federal taxes, only.

Also, how do you pay taxes? Through a check, bank transfer, credit card?

Thank you!
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 08:10
Romanian to English
+ ...
a few ideas Jun 5, 2013

It does not matter when you became resident alien (Green card) in the US. The question is when did you start working legally in the US (based on a permit to work). If you worked in 2012, you must pay taxes.
Don't worry about the quarterly taxes. At this point in time you have no idea about your future earnings, therefore, forget about it.
You can pay taxes in any way it fits you (check, online, credit card etc.) Uncle Sam does not mind the way he gets your money....
See more
It does not matter when you became resident alien (Green card) in the US. The question is when did you start working legally in the US (based on a permit to work). If you worked in 2012, you must pay taxes.
Don't worry about the quarterly taxes. At this point in time you have no idea about your future earnings, therefore, forget about it.
You can pay taxes in any way it fits you (check, online, credit card etc.) Uncle Sam does not mind the way he gets your money.

Lee
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:10
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Contact a CPA who is specializing in small business and foreign business Jun 5, 2013

A CPA, not some garden-variety tax preparer for personal taxes. There is too much at stake and too much that you can do wrong when it comes to filing taxes as a business. I remember the first year when my tax preparer messed up our tax return as an LLC, and the IRS called me and claimed that the wrong forms were used, which equals not filing taxes at all - a serious offense. As a first-time offense they generously waived the monstrous penalty. The next tax preparer, this time a CPA, happened to ... See more
A CPA, not some garden-variety tax preparer for personal taxes. There is too much at stake and too much that you can do wrong when it comes to filing taxes as a business. I remember the first year when my tax preparer messed up our tax return as an LLC, and the IRS called me and claimed that the wrong forms were used, which equals not filing taxes at all - a serious offense. As a first-time offense they generously waived the monstrous penalty. The next tax preparer, this time a CPA, happened to mess up our tax ID for the state due to a transposed number in the tax return. To this date we have to deal with ongoing correspondence because of this SNAFU.

This all is the result of trying to save money on tax preparation.
Collapse

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
First timer Jun 5, 2013

lee roth wrote:

The question is when did you start working legally in the US (based on a permit to work). If you worked in 2012, you must pay taxes.

I never worked in the US before, so that's really helpful to know.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Exactly - why quarterly at this point? Jun 5, 2013

lee roth wrote:

Quarterlies are based on forecasts and are therefor calculated on the basis of your income in prior tax years. Quarterlies are advance payments, it doesn't mean that your taxes are calculated for the past three months each time.

You can pay taxes in any way it fits you (check, online, credit card etc.) Uncle Sam does not mind the way he gets your money.

They also accept real estate, your soul, your spouse and kids, valuable pets, vehicles and any descendants for the next five generations.

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not a business Jun 5, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

A CPA, not some garden-variety tax preparer for personal taxes. There is too much at stake and too much that you can do wrong when it comes to filing taxes as a business.

I am not operating as a company, just as individual. I thought a generic HR Block would suffice - but thanks for the heads up.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
You need information about state regulations Jun 5, 2013

Paola Slajmer wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:

A CPA, not some garden-variety tax preparer for personal taxes. There is too much at stake and too much that you can do wrong when it comes to filing taxes as a business.

I am not operating as a company, just as individual. I thought a generic HR Block would suffice - but thanks for the heads up.

Some states require all persons who conduct business to have a license. You also need information about the income threshold in your state. You stated that you just received your Green Card - which will be a conditional one for the next two years. I'd rather do things by the book, if I were you.

Abba Storgen (X)
Abba Storgen (X)
United States
Local time: 07:10
Greek to English
+ ...
You are a business Jun 5, 2013

Paola Slajmer wrote:

You are a business. Prepare for some heavy taxes - though the fact you' re in Florida means considerable savings.

Separate your business expenses from personal expenses - and better contact a good CPA specializing in small business and professionals.

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Eleftherios is right. Jun 5, 2013

Eleftherios Kritikakis wrote:
You are a business. Prepare for some heavy taxes - though the fact you' re in Florida means considerable savings.

That's what I meant with income threshold - you might be allowed to earn up to maybe $600 / month, depending on state regulations. Anything beyond is considered "being paid under the table" and is illegal.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

First year as a Resident working as a freelance translator

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »