Help with technical translation
Thread poster: Cory Ohira
Cory Ohira
Cory Ohira

Local time: 23:11
Japanese to English
Jun 29, 2017

I'm working on a hardware/firmware translation project, which is a bit outside of my field.
Is there anyone/service I can contact to ask if my target sentences are "correct"? What would you do to get some help with technical translation?

Thank you

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 14:11
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Post it as a proof-reading job Jun 30, 2017

If you have inadvertently accepted a job outside your fields of expertise, the sensible — and in my view, only honest — thing to do is to post this as a proofing job and hope a colleague will be indulgent with you as to the cost, which you will have to absorb within your own translation fee, of course.

From personal experience, it is unwise to simply select a few "sentences" that may need checking — if I am out of my depth, I am often not able to recognize WHICH bits actually
... See more
If you have inadvertently accepted a job outside your fields of expertise, the sensible — and in my view, only honest — thing to do is to post this as a proofing job and hope a colleague will be indulgent with you as to the cost, which you will have to absorb within your own translation fee, of course.

From personal experience, it is unwise to simply select a few "sentences" that may need checking — if I am out of my depth, I am often not able to recognize WHICH bits actually need checking, and proofers have confirmed errors even in parts I'd thought were OK.

Treat this as a growth opportunity, learn from the proofer's feedback, and be reassured that you have done the honest thing towards your customer, whose gratitude and loyalty you will have earned.

The reverse scenario could be a disaster: loss of confidence from customer, no return business, and ultimately, your reputation ruined.

I am frequently called upon to assess translations whose quality has been for some reason doubted, and I can assure you the fallout is not nice to witness!

[Modifié le 2017-06-30 08:49 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with technical translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »