Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Dear Colleagues, Please help me to figure out what is the language written on the bowl (see attache
Thread poster: Rustem Bashirov
Rustem Bashirov
Rustem Bashirov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:19
English to Russian
Feb 11, 2017

Dear Colleagues,

Please help me to figure out what is the language written on the bowl (please visit links)

See more
Dear Colleagues,

Please help me to figure out what is the language written on the bowl (please visit links)

https://www.facebook.com/roustam.bashirov?lst=100000565755786:100000565755786:1486841932
https://m.vk.com/photo68558566_456239019?list=album68558566_00&rev=1&from=profile#comments

Really appreciated, if you even can translate. Then you can contact me through my profile
Rustam
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:19
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Arabic? Feb 12, 2017

Could it be Arabic? I don't know the language but it looks a bit like it to me.
Is it actually writing or perhaps just a decorative frieze round the rim of the bowl? What do you know of its history? Please tell us more.

Rustem Bashirov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Native Arabic readers probably can help Feb 12, 2017

Well, if I only could tell more... The bowl picture is rather of an unknown author. It is a gift, and the owner assumed it is in Tatar written in Arabic script (I don't see Tatar letters requiring aditional dots that are not used in Arabic such as "ch"). Esp. in past, say a century ago, many languages of Muslim countries used to have Arabic based writing instead of modern Latin one. I neither see Farsi words (or am I wrong?) there, nor it looks to be Quranic verse (or am I wrong again?).

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:19
Japanese to English
+ ...
Language on bowl Feb 12, 2017

The slanted script suggests Farsi or Urdu.

Rustem Bashirov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Native Urdu required for a short advice Feb 12, 2017

I guess it is rather Urdu then since, as I superficially know, Farsi requires more dots above/below

M. Irshad (Master of Science)
M. Irshad (Master of Science)
Germany
Local time: 18:19
Member (2016)
English to Urdu
+ ...
Not Urdu Feb 12, 2017

I dont understand nothing of this, i dont think so its Urdu.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Much more important: How many repetitions? Feb 12, 2017

(sorry, I couldn´t resist)

Rustem Bashirov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Native Farsi required for a short advice Feb 13, 2017

Is there a native Farsi to ascertain if the language on the bowl is Farsi or not?...

(Funny or sad to note, that absense of a somewhat fruitful feedback probably shows how poor is mutual interest in culture between West and East)

Natasha Ziada (X)
Natasha Ziada (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 03:19
English to Dutch
+ ...
I checked Feb 13, 2017

with my dad, who is a native Egyptian-Arabic speaker. He thinks it's Farsi too. Sorry, not much further help.

Rustem Bashirov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Is there any native Farsi? (Failure to identify unknown language: NOT Arabic, NOT Urdu) Feb 13, 2017

Natasha,
Thank you very much

Hey colleaugues,
Is there any native Farsi?

[Edited at 2017-02-13 02:02 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Farsi forum: Feb 13, 2017

Now seriously:
Why not putting your question (together with the link) into the according Farsi forum (http://www.proz.com/forum/persian_farsi-216.html) here on proz?

Rustem Bashirov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Farsi forum: Feb 13, 2017

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Now seriously:
Why not putting your question (together with the link) into the according Farsi forum (http://www.proz.com/forum/persian_farsi-216.html) here on proz?

Thank you very much, Matthias I followed your link and posted there

The thing is that I do not know the language, otherwise the issue would be sorted out long ago...

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:19
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Another line you could pursue? Feb 13, 2017

Another way you could approach the mystery is to take your bowl to an art expert, silversmith, jeweller, museum, etc. and ascertain its provenance, when it was made, whether it has a hallmark (is it silver?).
Knowing where and when the bowl was made would narrow the field regarding which language is inscribed on it, perhaps.
Good luck with your research.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:19
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
I don't want to be a wet blanket, but... Feb 13, 2017

... are you sure that something is actually WRITTEN there?

I - a rather complete ignorant in Far Eastern culture - have been fed with some skepticism. A friend brought from Morocco a leather pillow engraved with some drawings and the word "Jerusalem" in Hebrew... mirrored! The artist had probably re-used part of some mold to cast that in relief, and it came out reversed when used as a stamp.

Your bowl's text looks to me like random drawing by an artist who tried to give
... See more
... are you sure that something is actually WRITTEN there?

I - a rather complete ignorant in Far Eastern culture - have been fed with some skepticism. A friend brought from Morocco a leather pillow engraved with some drawings and the word "Jerusalem" in Hebrew... mirrored! The artist had probably re-used part of some mold to cast that in relief, and it came out reversed when used as a stamp.

Your bowl's text looks to me like random drawing by an artist who tried to give the impression of a little-known ancient alphabet. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's one possibility.

Once - I can't remember where - the PM of a translation agency in the UK was somewhat desperate on the web. They had been assigned a three-page letter on a PDF file to translate into English, and couldn't identify the language there. They had shown it to all their Far Eastern languages translators, and none of them could identify it.

Of course, this case is more clear-cut. A LETTER must contain text.

I got curious, so they sent me that file. I immediately recognized one frequent letter: a handle-less fork, the Hebrew "shin" (שׂ). It wasn't the Greek (ψ) because this fork has a handle, nor the Cyrillic (ш) because it was round. For the record, I can barely read Hebrew, even if the dots (aka "nikud") are included. So I looked for other Hebrew letters, and found many of them. But... and this should be a BUT... whoever scanned that had done it in a way that it came up mirrored AND upside down on that PDF! Perhaps a neat "encrypting" trick! I told them to get a Hebrew translator, and wished them good luck.

Though now and then people ask me to burn subtitles on video using unfamiliar alphabets, viz. JP, KO, CN, I refuse to do it. I'd have no clue if my subs came out upside down and/or mirrored.

There is literally a world of possibilities.

[Edited at 2017-02-13 09:18 GMT]
Collapse

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Arabic Script Feb 13, 2017

It is definitely Arabic script, but you need to zoom out a bit in order to make it more legible. Arabic script is used to write Arabic, Farsi, and other languages, and Arabic words could appear in any of them. In the middle image on your FB page, I (think I) recognize the Arabic word "Al-Rahman" - which is one of God's names/attributes meaning "The Most Merciful."

[Edited at 2017-02-13 09:40 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dear Colleagues, Please help me to figure out what is the language written on the bowl (see attache

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »