Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22] >
Netflix Hermes test
Auteur du fil: Magdalena Bardalinska
brennie
Turquie
info May 7

Cemo wrote:

Hello everybody.
I took English-Turkish test and passed with 88.67. I'm surprised with some professional translators' score since I'm just a regular guy who has nothing to do with translation, I'm a geologist by the way. I just enjoy watching movies and shows with English subtitles, and wanted to try my English level and maybe earn some easy money hehe I love Netflix Original Series. I hope I get the job of translating Stranger Things
Anyway I salute Turkish translators who took the test and hope to hear from you with your scores, don't be shy


Turkish language has a stable syntax - so you did not need to 'work' too much.
There are languages where, e v e n within a flexible syntax, words order should have a logical meaning.
Although you don't owe be so full of yourself to nobody, congratulations for passing:)

[Edited at 2017-05-07 21:44 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
fscaccabarozzi
Italie
Local time: 14:54
anglais vers italien
+ ...
test due date? May 8

Hey guys.
I haven't taken the test yet, but I'm planning to do it in the next days.
I just wanted to know whether you knew if there was a due date, after which you cannot take the test anymore.
I sent an e-mail to Netflix but never received an answer. I only read on the website that they're always looking for subtitlers. Anyway, I just thought I would give it a try and ask you.
Have a nice day!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sabrina Silva
Brésil
Local time: 09:54
Membre (Mar 2017)
anglais vers portugais
+ ...
Never got my results May 8

Hello, I would like to know if someone else here felt VERY confident about their test and still haven't received their results.
I'm anxious to see how I went!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonie
Local time: 15:54
estonien vers anglais
+ ...
test due date May 8

The test has existed for almost a year, just that it was not open for most languages (these have been added every once in a while) and was not publicly advertised.
There's no reason to remove the test, especially because it does not guarantee any work - or even guarantee that anyone ever looks at the profiles of those who have passed it.
If Netflix really wants to give work directly to thousands of translators, without it turning into complete anarchy, they first have to hire hundreds of project managers for various languages. The work is too time- and deadline-critical to hope that an automated system can somehow keep all the work processes in line. There will be a constant need of human intervention to deal with files that are late, missing, or cannot be handled by the persons to whom they were originally assigned.
So until you see Netflix searching for such project managers for dozens of languages, they are likely to continue working mostly with vendors. And yeah, the test will always be there also for vendors to test their translators.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marina Steinbach  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 08:54
Membre
anglais vers allemand
+ ...
Has anybody actually worked for NETFLIX after this test? May 9

Has anybody actually worked for NETFLIX after this test? Or could it be that the purpose of this test is solely to test the Hermes test?

Direct link Reply with quote
 
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonie
Local time: 15:54
estonien vers anglais
+ ...
test May 9

A blog from one year ago (May 2016)
https://media.netflix.com/en/company-blog/delivering-a-global-talk-show-the-innovation-behind-chelsea
Netflix has been directly employing translators for major languages for quite some time. The test (now called Hermes) has existed all this time and new translators have been taking it during the past 12-18 months to get hired. So yes, the testing leads to real jobs with Netflix but the actual hiring will depend on project management muscle - or on Netflix actually managing to make the workflow automatic without major hitches. This would be a first - all of the major subtitling companies this far depend on actual people (often employing whole floors of them, mostly in India) to handle projects and communication with translators/editors/file preparation throughout the chain.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
tintin76
anglais vers chinois
Not 100% directly May 9

jbjb wrote:

A blog from one year ago (May 2016)
https://media.netflix.com/en/company-blog/delivering-a-global-talk-show-the-innovation-behind-chelsea
Netflix has been directly employing translators for major languages for quite some time. The test (now called Hermes) has existed all this time and new translators have been taking it during the past 12-18 months to get hired. So yes, the testing leads to real jobs with Netflix but the actual hiring will depend on project management muscle - or on Netflix actually managing to make the workflow automatic without major hitches. This would be a first - all of the major subtitling companies this far depend on actual people (often employing whole floors of them, mostly in India) to handle projects and communication with translators/editors/file preparation throughout the chain.


Speaking of Chelsea, I know for a fact that they used Deluxe (Softitler) at least for the first few episodes for a few languages.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Danilo Draskovic Sierra
Mexique
Local time: 07:54
suédois vers serbo-croate/croato-serbe
+ ...
Does Netflix also take into account the time you spend answering? May 9

Hello everybody!

I was wondering if Netflix also takes into account the time you spend answering? Are the last two sections (the 40 min video) also checked by a computer? This would be absolutely weird, but I came to think that they might have developed a program which runs the % of coincidence with our own translations with the ones already existing on Netflix? Because if the last two ones are checked by a human, we wouldn't get the results straight away, and on the other hand, I'm positive I got all the previous answers right... Help?


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Annalisa Buontempo
Italie
Local time: 14:54
anglais vers italien
+ ...
Hi everybody, May 12

Vicente Pithan Burzlaff wrote:

Hermes results - Apparently, since the results are coming out automatically, the percentage with which we were graded reflects only the first four multiple choice quizzes. The 5th test will probably be graded only for those who passed this first stage and we will be provided with a classification afterwards. -- That's just what I can infer with the information we have. Up until now the whole process lacks transparency and probably a lot will happen until those results have any influence on the assignments we receive.

Whether working for Netflix is worthwhile or not - There are many vendors and outsourcers who offer different rates for translators, proofreaders and QCers, and a few assignments are handled directly by Netflix. My experience over the years has shown me that the translator rates can range from outrageous to fairly reasonable. ($1/min - $5/min)


I did the test yesterday evening and finished at midnight. I did it so late because I work until 6 PM and I couldn't do it sooner, therefore I cleaned my schedule and all.

My dream is to become an audiovisual subtitler and I studied for it and also made it my hobby, but it seems impossible!
So, last year, when Sferalabs came out I was so happy that I could actually try and enter this world. I did the test... I am STILL waiting for the answer!

So yesterday I decided to take the test without any expectation, and I have to say that I found it much better than the one on Sfera, especially for the part of QC and the actual translation.

Now I found this thread and I read that I could have saved a lot of time and go to bed earlier and still get the infamous 80% that for Italian is not enough!

I agree... we should make some noise at least, even though I am positive this will not change anything.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Tomakris
Ukraine
Local time: 15:54
turc vers ukrainien
+ ...
same thing May 12

Danilo Draskovic Sierra wrote:

Hello everybody!

I was wondering if Netflix also takes into account the time you spend answering? Are the last two sections (the 40 min video) also checked by a computer? This would be absolutely weird, but I came to think that they might have developed a program which runs the % of coincidence with our own translations with the ones already existing on Netflix? Because if the last two ones are checked by a human, we wouldn't get the results straight away, and on the other hand, I'm positive I got all the previous answers right... Help?


I did get my result right after the test which seemed weird to me and I did not pass. There must be a program. Otherwise that would mean that they are not taking the 2 videos in consideration.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
fscaccabarozzi
Italie
Local time: 14:54
anglais vers italien
+ ...
thanks May 12

jbjb wrote:

The test has existed for almost a year, just that it was not open for most languages (these have been added every once in a while) and was not publicly advertised.
There's no reason to remove the test, especially because it does not guarantee any work - or even guarantee that anyone ever looks at the profiles of those who have passed it.
If Netflix really wants to give work directly to thousands of translators, without it turning into complete anarchy, they first have to hire hundreds of project managers for various languages. The work is too time- and deadline-critical to hope that an automated system can somehow keep all the work processes in line. There will be a constant need of human intervention to deal with files that are late, missing, or cannot be handled by the persons to whom they were originally assigned.
So until you see Netflix searching for such project managers for dozens of languages, they are likely to continue working mostly with vendors. And yeah, the test will always be there also for vendors to test their translators.


Thank you so much for your answer. I will take all the time I need before taking the test, then!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
Royaume-Uni
Local time: 13:54
Membre (2004)
anglais vers italien
never got the link... May 12

sent e-mail to support, no answer... I guess they don't want me...

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Debbiep
Italie
Local time: 14:54
anglais vers italien
+ ...
actual jobs? May 12

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

I seriously doubt that passing the test is now a guarantee of any job in the future. In recent years I passed tests for three companies that are also Netflix vendors and I was rarely approached with new projects.
That's why, I don't consider it as a breakthrough in my professional life. More like an additional item to include in my CV.


[Edited at 2017-05-04 17:16 GMT]


I had the same doubts before taking the test, and I think it will be even more unlikely for people with no previous work experience in the field; I admit I got quite discouraged when I was going through that section in the questionnaire. I have a feeling that would be the cut-off line if they got more people than they need, as a way to distinguish professionals from amateurs. Which is a bummer, really. I passed for Italian and although I don't have any previous work experience as I have just graduated, I did study audiovisual translation at university.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

sjaatoul
Canada
Local time: 08:54
Membre (2016)
anglais vers arabe
+ ...
Hermes May 12

"Congratulations on passing the Hermes test. You will receive a form email response within the coming weeks with an update as to possible next steps".



I don't know if this is true or not, but that's what I have received recently from Netflix after many messages with one of the responsibles in the Localization department of Netflix.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Yellow Panda
Slovaquie
Local time: 14:54
slovaque vers anglais
+ ...
Reply May 13

sjaatoul wrote:


"Congratulations on passing the Hermes test. You will receive a form email response within the coming weeks with an update as to possible next steps".



I don't know if this is true or not, but that's what I have received recently from Netflix after many messages with one of the responsibles in the Localization department of Netflix.



Did you contact them via email?


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages sur ce sujet:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Netflix Hermes test

Advanced search







PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Recherche par terme
  • Travaux