Thread poster: Ayano Murofushi-Arno
Ayano Murofushi-Arno
Ayano Murofushi-Arno  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:49
English to Japanese
Sep 15, 2016

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone with experience with Aegisub might be able to help.
I have started using Aegisub for the first time today and have encountered an issue.

Basically, the time-coded English subtitle file that the client sent me starts at 1:00:00.00.
I have already translated the subtitles into Japanse but with the loaded video starting at 0:000:000.00, the subs and the video won't match up.

Does anyone know if there is way to
... See more
Hi all,

I have started using Aegisub for the first time today and have encountered an issue.

Basically, the time-coded English subtitle file that the client sent me starts at 1:00:00.00.
I have already translated the subtitles into Japanse but with the loaded video starting at 0:000:000.00, the subs and the video won't match up.

Does anyone know if there is way to resolve this? Is it possible to somehow change the settings so the video plays back from 1:000:000.00?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:49
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Sep 15, 2016

ayanohannah wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is way to resolve this? Is it possible to somehow change the settings so the video plays back from 1:000:000.00?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi ayanohannah,

Why do you want the time codes and the video match up? Your client needs the subtitle file start at 1:00:00.00, and that's what matters.

Ayano Murofushi-Arno
United States
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply! Sep 15, 2016

Hi Max,

Thanks for your swift reply!

I guess I wasn't explaining myself clearly... So the problem is that at the moment I can't play back the video to check the translated subtitles because the subtitles don't show up on the screen (because of the mismatched timecodes). Does this make sense?
I need to check the translation within the video but currently am unable to.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
Ayano

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:49
French to English
+ ...
Shift times Sep 15, 2016

Timing tab > Shift times > Shift times "forward" by 1:00:00:00 ?

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:49
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Some thoughts Sep 15, 2016

First, I don't know a thing about Aegisub, never used it (but have nothing against it).

I'm a bit unsure on what you mean.

I get the impression that the timecode you are referring to appears on the screen all the time. A possible explanation is that this video was digitized from a TAPE (= analog, e.g. Betacam or U-Matic) player from its "video out" connection, with the TC onscreen turned on. FYI you can reset or set that counter to any number on tape machines, and most
... See more
First, I don't know a thing about Aegisub, never used it (but have nothing against it).

I'm a bit unsure on what you mean.

I get the impression that the timecode you are referring to appears on the screen all the time. A possible explanation is that this video was digitized from a TAPE (= analog, e.g. Betacam or U-Matic) player from its "video out" connection, with the TC onscreen turned on. FYI you can reset or set that counter to any number on tape machines, and most operators add one hour to their zero-point to avoid ever having negative numbers there.

In digital video, the zero is always on the first frame, regardless of whether you have a leader, color bars with 1 kHz audio, countdown, whatever, or not. The onscreen TC, regardless of its baseline, is quite useful for dubbing, however it is not a reference for digital subtitling, where the zero is exactly where the video starts.

If I understood your query correctly, I hope this helps to shed some light there.
Collapse

Ayano Murofushi-Arno
United States
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
It works! Sep 15, 2016

Georgie, thanks so much for your suggestion - it's worked perfectly!

Also thanks to Max and Jose for your replies

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Aegisub help needed

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »