Isabel Cisneiros
Isabel Cisneiros
Portugal
Local time: 15:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 10, 2014

Hello all!!!

I am experimenting for the first time this software.

I opened the .sstx file and then I opened the .mpg

I see the image and the List of Subtitling on its right, but there is NO TEXT in any subtitle!!!

SHoudn't the SOurce Text to translate appear under the Line with the Subtitling number, TV in and TC Out and the number of characters?

Did I do something wrong?

Can someone give me a hand?

BR... See more
Hello all!!!

I see the image and the List of Subtitling on its right, but there is NO TEXT in any subtitle!!!

SHoudn't the SOurce Text to translate appear under the Line with the Subtitling number, TV in and TC Out and the number of characters?

BR
Isabel

[Edited at 2014-12-10 15:06 GMT]
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:26
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Monalle? Dec 10, 2014

isabel faria wrote:

Hello all!!!

BR
Isabel

Dear Isabel,

I have never heard of this program, nor can I locate it on the web. Are you sure you spelled its name correctly?

Sincerely,
Max

Isabel Cisneiros
Isabel Cisneiros
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Software name Dec 10, 2014

Dear Max

It's Modal 2008 LE (in the window, when it is minimized, shows "MONALLE"....sorry

Do you know Monal 2008 LE?

BR
Isabel

Max Deryagin wrote:

isabel faria wrote:

Hello all!!!

BR
Isabel

Dear Isabel,

I have never heard of this program, nor can I locate it on the web. Are you sure you spelled its name correctly?

Sincerely,
Max

Sonia Cardoso
Sonia Cardoso  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Monal Software Dec 10, 2014

Dear Isabel,

it depends of the job you've asked to do. If you're working on an already timecoded template (which seems to be the case), normally they send you a template in some foreighn language and you just have to delete the foreign text and write your own in the same place. However, this week I had to do a project using this software, and the sstx file they sent me, had no text at all, only the time codes.
I translated the episode, delivered it to the client and refused t
... See more
Dear Isabel,

it depends of the job you've asked to do. If you're working on an already timecoded template (which seems to be the case), normally they send you a template in some foreighn language and you just have to delete the foreign text and write your own in the same place. However, this week I had to do a project using this software, and the sstx file they sent me, had no text at all, only the time codes.
I translated the episode, delivered it to the client and refused to work for them any further, because this software is simple the WORST I've ever worked with. It's not pratical, it's not intuitive and it doesn't show you many "technical errors" that you might do (such as leaving a space after each line). I've been acused of leaving a blank space after each line. I replied to the client that I had no way of knowing that I was doing that, since their "brilliant" software doesn't show it.
Plus I've also investigated the company and they appear on the blacklist of bad translation agencies with payment problems, so I decided to cut my losses right there.
If you want a great software to work with, try Spot Subtitling System. It's simply the best, no doubt about it. Unfortunately, it doesn't open this stupid sstx files. It's never good when the files they send you can only be open with a very specific software...

isabel faria wrote:

Hello all!!!

BR
Isabel

Collapse

Thomas Carey
Thomas Carey  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:26
French to English
+ ...
Monal works fine with me. Dec 23, 2014

Hi,

[quote] - Isabel
Hello all!!!

I have been working with this software for many years, with no major problems, I actually prefer it to SW. In the case mentioned above, you were probably only provided with the time-coded file.

[quote] - Sonia

I translated the episode, delivered it to the client and refused to work for them any further, because this software is simple the WORST I've ever worked with. It's not pratical, it's not intuitive and it doesn't show you many "technical errors" that you might do (such as leaving a space after each line). I've been acused of leaving a blank space after each line. I replied to the client that I had no way of knowing that I was doing that, since their "brilliant" software doesn't show it.

I actually had the same problem once, the problem was solved quickly when I contacted the IT team. I can't exactly remember the issue, but I can retrieve the info if required.

The software normally shows errors (in singularities panel, bottom right corner, under list of STs.) including whitespaces at beginning and end of the line.

Plus I've also investigated the company and they appear on the blacklist of bad translation agencies with payment problems, so I decided to cut my losses right there.

Could you please provide me with information regarding the blacklisted company you are referring to (in a private message).

Regards.

Suzanne Reynolds
Suzanne Reynolds  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Chinese to English
Blacklisted Company Sep 5, 2016

Dear Sonia,

Can you also provide me with the name of the company as I am about to take a test for them but will not continue if they are the same company.

SoniaCardoso wrote:

Dear Isabel,

If you want a great software to work with, try Spot Subtitling System. It's simply the best, no doubt about it. Unfortunately, it doesn't open this stupid sstx files. It's never good when the files they send you can only be open with a very specific software...

isabel faria wrote:

Hello all!!!

BR
Isabel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling Software Monal 2008 LE

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »