Any chance to have the number of characters of the source segment indicated in Trados Studio?
Thread poster: Sarah Brodacz
Sarah Brodacz
Sarah Brodacz  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:04
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
May 28, 2017

I am currently working on a French to German project for which one of the requirements is that the target segments should have less or an equal number of characters as the source segments. When working in Trados Studio, the number of characters of the target text is indicated at the bottom on the right. However, I would also need the number of characters of the source text to make sure that my translation has less or equal characters.

Is it possible to see the number of characters o
... See more
I am currently working on a French to German project for which one of the requirements is that the target segments should have less or an equal number of characters as the source segments. When working in Trados Studio, the number of characters of the target text is indicated at the bottom on the right. However, I would also need the number of characters of the source text to make sure that my translation has less or equal characters.

Is it possible to see the number of characters of the source text segments in Trados? I could of course check with the word file of the source text but I hope there's a simple solution directly in Trados.

Happy Sunday everyone!
Collapse

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:04
German to Turkish
+ ...
Length limitation setting May 28, 2017

I have heard that some CAT tools come with the functionality of a segment length/character count limitation. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with any of them but while waiting for more guiding replies, it might be worth to check it in the help files and fora.

Elif

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Try DragKing May 28, 2017

Try DragKing:
http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/#DragKing

With thanks to Selcuk Akyuz, who draw my at
... See more
Try DragKing:
http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/#DragKing

With thanks to Selcuk Akyuz, who draw my attention to this tool on
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/315065-how_to_count_the_characters_inside_a_segment.html

Start DragKing after downloading it, mark your source segment, copy it by Ctrl+C and a window will appear with the word and character count.
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
QA rule May 28, 2017

Quite unbelievably, it seems in all these years and Studio versions, SDL never thought it worthwhile to add this very simple and useful piece of information to their ultra-complex and sophisticated piece of software.

At any rate, if your problem is that "the target segments should have less or an equal number of characters as the source segments", then try this: Project settings>Verification>QA checker 3.0>Segments Verification and then "Check for targets segments which are: Longer
... See more
Quite unbelievably, it seems in all these years and Studio versions, SDL never thought it worthwhile to add this very simple and useful piece of information to their ultra-complex and sophisticated piece of software.

At any rate, if your problem is that "the target segments should have less or an equal number of characters as the source segments", then try this: Project settings>Verification>QA checker 3.0>Segments Verification and then "Check for targets segments which are: Longer by (%)" and set your percentage. Set 0% as percentage and choose "Warning" or "Error" and you shouldn't miss the notifications while translating, or during verification.
Collapse

Sarah Brodacz
Sarah Brodacz  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 28, 2017

Thank you for your quick responses on such a sunny Sunday.
@Matthias: copying and pasting is actually what I was trying to avoid because it takes too much time. Apart from that, I'll keep your suggestion in mind - might be helpful for other future projects.
@Mirko: Great, thanks. I think this is the best I might get right now (and the best Trados has to offer...) and it is indeed helpful.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
No, you don´t need to copy and paste ... May 28, 2017

Sarah Brodacz wrote:

@Matthias: copying and pasting is actually what I was trying to avoid because it takes too much time.

I think I was misunderstood:
To apply the key combination is just the initializing STEP to start the word count process after DragKing has started and after you have marked the source segment: When applying the key combination, a window with the word count will appear. DragKing does not need to PASTE anything to anywhere.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:04
English to Turkish
+ ...
We need the clipboard May 28, 2017

DragKing is a good tool but it does not let us use the clipboard for copy/paste operations (Ctrl+C Ctrl+V)

Therefore another AHK script with a configurable shortcut is better:

-------------
!c::
Send, ^c
ClipWait
Chars := StrLen(Clipboard)
RegExReplace(Clipboard,A_Space,"",Spaces)
MsgBox % "The highlighted text is " Chars " characters in length and contains " Spaces " spaces."
return
-------------

I am a Deja
... See more
DragKing is a good tool but it does not let us use the clipboard for copy/paste operations (Ctrl+C Ctrl+V)

Therefore another AHK script with a configurable shortcut is better:

-------------
!c::
Send, ^c
ClipWait
Chars := StrLen(Clipboard)
RegExReplace(Clipboard,A_Space,"",Spaces)
MsgBox % "The highlighted text is " Chars " characters in length and contains " Spaces " spaces."
return
-------------

I am a Deja Vu X user, which displays both the source and target number of characters. There should be some QA settings for character count in Studio as well.
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:04
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Probably because they already have a program for that May 28, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

...or, more likely, they thought that people who regularly need this kind of functionality (e.g. localizers), would use a program developed expressly for that purpose, such as SDL Passolo, which does provide character counts, and quite a lot more of the kind of functionality needed for localization.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Maybe they thought wrong... May 28, 2017

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

...or, more likely, they thought that people who regularly need this kind of functionality (e.g. localizers), would use a program developed expressly for that purpose, such as SDL Passolo, which does provide character counts, and quite a lot more of the kind of functionality needed for localization.

That definitely isn't the only instance where character counts are useful (anything with limited space, ranging from Twees to FB posts, to market descriptions, to push notifications, etc.) and, as you'll probably know, working on raw source files definitely isn't the only way to localize (all the parts of a) software where space is limited...

Besides, Studio does obviously already keep track of character counts internally, so it's just that this piece of data is not shown. I wouldn't even call that a "functionality", per se... Just a matter of showing what's already there. It almost seems they actually went out of their way NOT to do that... (also considering that other CAT tools, such as Deja Vu, Wordfast, MemoQ, MemSource, etc. do it...).

Lastly, following your reasoning ("You need source char counts? Then you should be using Passolo"), it seems all the more weird that they did go out of their way to add a (relatively obscure and) separate functionality to trigger alerts based on source vs. target segments relative length, while still carefully avoiding to show the absolute length...

Nicholas Knutsen

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Set the option to check the length May 29, 2017

Hi

In the Project Settings, under QA Checker, you can set an option to receive a warning when the target segment length exceeds the length of the source segment by a certain percentage. Set it to 0% and Studio will warn you when your target is too long. This is even more comfortable than having to visually check the length indicator.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any chance to have the number of characters of the source segment indicated in Trados Studio?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »