Trados Studio 2017 : Double space automatically inserted after period in target Word files
Thread poster: Jyanne
Jyanne
Jyanne
Canada
Local time: 10:21
May 18, 2017

Hello!

I just acquired Trados Studio 2017. When I export my translation to Word 2016 with the "Save target as" functionality, two spaces are automatically inserted after every period. (Precision : in Trados, there isn't any space at the end of my segments.)

How could I get rid of this unwanted second space? I never had that problem with Trados 2014. Currently, I must search and replace all double spaces manually in the target Word file...

Thanks in advance!
... See more
Hello!

I just acquired Trados Studio 2017. When I export my translation to Word 2016 with the "Save target as" functionality, two spaces are automatically inserted after every period. (Precision : in Trados, there isn't any space at the end of my segments.)

How could I get rid of this unwanted second space? I never had that problem with Trados 2014. Currently, I must search and replace all double spaces manually in the target Word file...

Thanks in advance!
Jyanne
Collapse

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
Local time: 16:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
2 spaces in the original document? May 19, 2017

Hi Jyanne,

I guess the double spaces were already in the original document, right?

Studio doesn't show them by default, but can show them anyway if you select the View ribbon > Display Filter and select All content instead of All segments.

Now you'll be able to see all segments, inluding the ones with the double space so you can delete spaces in Studio (or do it in the translated document anyway).

I hope it helps,... See more
Hi Jyanne,

I guess the double spaces were already in the original document, right?

Studio doesn't show them by default, but can show them anyway if you select the View ribbon > Display Filter and select All content instead of All segments.

Now you'll be able to see all segments, inluding the ones with the double space so you can delete spaces in Studio (or do it in the translated document anyway).

I hope it helps,

… Jesús Prieto …
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:21
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Run a search and replace on double spaces in the source document May 19, 2017

Jyanne wrote:
Thanks in advance!
Jyanne

As Jesús Prieto have mentioned, it sounds like the double spaces are in the source document before importing. I would, therefore clean it up by searching for double spaces and replace them with singles spaces (should not take that long, really) and then reimport the document. No need really to check for double spaces in the source document in Studio, which I suspect is more awkward than searching for it in the source document.

Roy

Jyanne
Jyanne
Canada
Local time: 10:21
TOPIC STARTER
Two spaces in the source indeed May 19, 2017

Yes... you are both correct. Thank you very much, it hadn't occurred to me. It is still annoying, but I will have to deal with it!

[Modifié le 2017-05-19 16:11 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2017 : Double space automatically inserted after period in target Word files

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »