Thread poster: Mendham
Mendham
Mendham  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:26
English to French
Mar 22, 2017

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if I can install SDL Trados 2017 on Ubuntu 16 (Linux)? Or it is just for windows OS?

Thank you

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 17:26
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Only Windows Mar 22, 2017

"SDL Trados Studio 2017 supports Microsoft Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10"
http://www.translationzone.com/products/trados-studio/system-requirements.html

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 23:26
English to Italian
+ ...
Maybe... Mar 23, 2017

You could try to install a virtual machine on Linux and run studio from there, emulating W10. But, assuming all this can be done Studio would work very slow I guess.

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:26
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Virtual machine solution Mar 23, 2017

You can install a virtual machine on Ubuntu or any other Linux distro. I use Ubuntu as my main OS and run windows OS on a virtual machine, precisely because I cannot run most TM software on Ubuntu. You can set up a direct internet connection for the virtual machine, but I prefer to keep it offline. This means I cannot use the online features provided by some TM software, but I'm not too bothered about that. I use a shared folder between my main OS and virtual machine OS for transferring files be... See more
You can install a virtual machine on Ubuntu or any other Linux distro. I use Ubuntu as my main OS and run windows OS on a virtual machine, precisely because I cannot run most TM software on Ubuntu. You can set up a direct internet connection for the virtual machine, but I prefer to keep it offline. This means I cannot use the online features provided by some TM software, but I'm not too bothered about that. I use a shared folder between my main OS and virtual machine OS for transferring files between the two environments.
I have not tries to run any TM software requiring windows by using a windows emulator such as WINE, but this is possible in theory.
Collapse

Chié_JP

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2017 on Linux

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »