What has happened after I received the second batch package in Studio 2015 and I don't get TM hits?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 20:47
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 17, 2017

What has happened after I received the second batch package in Studio 2015 and I don't get TM hits?

The packages are labelled exactly the same. I don't know exactly what happened, but the TM I updated during the whole translation of batch 1 don't give any hits, and the wordcount when I open batch 1 again is on 28,000 words (which almost the same as when I started). It displayed 3,500 new words left before I imported this second batch package.

This second batch package c
... See more

The packages are labelled exactly the same. I don't know exactly what happened, but the TM I updated during the whole translation of batch 1 don't give any hits, and the wordcount when I open batch 1 again is on 28,000 words (which almost the same as when I started). It displayed 3,500 new words left before I imported this second batch package.

This second batch package contained a new TM with some other segments, and I imported all of them into my old TM and vice versa.

I then tried to only have one of the project batches open in the project list at a time, but it still doesn't work.

The wordcount for batch 2 is correct. But the segments I imported from my old TM don't get displayed, even though it said it imported 6,000 segments and I got a green checkmark.

Language direction is English-Swedish, but I use AnyTM also with a English-German TM as reference, and I get hits from that for both project batches.
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All my old translations are gone! Feb 17, 2017

I don't know what happened, but when I opened one of my big files all my translations are gone! Not in the SDLXLIFF file, not in the TM! No hits from the TM with my name on them, only others' translations.

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is it possible all my translations were overwritten by the new project package with the same name? Feb 17, 2017

Is it possible all my translations were overwritten by the new project package with the same name?

I think that is what happened! If so, I lost my 25,000 words I had translated when I opened that package.

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No automatic backup by Studio somewhere? Feb 17, 2017

Is there no automatic backup by Studio somewhere, besides the ordinary project folder (which contents all probably has been overwritten by batch 2 files)?

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Autosave each 20 minutes was set Feb 17, 2017

I checked the project settings and they were set to autosave each 20 minutes. But as my original batch 1 already is overwritten I don't know what the settings were for batch 1 for autosave. And I don't find anything in USER Documents (under Documents it is completely empty).

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now they are back again! Feb 17, 2017

All of a sudden my translations are back again! What is happening?! I just opened one of the big files and all my translations were gone and no hits in TM. I removed the project from the list. Now I opened the project again, and suddenly all my files show almost completed again. I open the same file, now all my translations are there (gone for a few minutes ago)!! But the wordcount is still wrong: 28,000 (was on 3,500 before I opened batch 2).

[Edited at 2017-02-17 23:00 GMT
... See more
All of a sudden my translations are back again! What is happening?! I just opened one of the big files and all my translations were gone and no hits in TM. I removed the project from the list. Now I opened the project again, and suddenly all my files show almost completed again. I open the same file, now all my translations are there (gone for a few minutes ago)!! But the wordcount is still wrong: 28,000 (was on 3,500 before I opened batch 2).

[Edited at 2017-02-17 23:00 GMT]
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It has something to do with AnyTM Feb 17, 2017

I still get no hits from my project TM (English-Swedish), only from my English-German reference TM.

I have 3 TMs:

One server TM that is not activated because the translation agency don't have any login for me.

One main file-based project TM (English-Swedish), which is set to update.

One file-based AnyTM reference TM (English-German), which is not set to update.

Could it be an idea to create a new TM from all the SDLXLIFF files? If,
... See more
I still get no hits from my project TM (English-Swedish), only from my English-German reference TM.

I have 3 TMs:

One server TM that is not activated because the translation agency don't have any login for me.

One main file-based project TM (English-Swedish), which is set to update.

One file-based AnyTM reference TM (English-German), which is not set to update.

Could it be an idea to create a new TM from all the SDLXLIFF files? If, for example, my batch 1 TM was overwritten when opening the batch 2 package (but the SDLXLIFF files luckily were not overwritten)?

It seems to work, I created a new TM from all the SDLXLIFF files, will open a file and see if there will be any hits.

[Edited at 2017-02-17 23:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-02-17 23:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-02-17 23:35 GMT]
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:47
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
project tm versus main tm Feb 17, 2017

Sometimes just posting and writing it all up helps solve the problem

When "all your translations are gone", you may have opened a wrong file. I normally don't work with packages so I can't say a whole lot about how they work. But the bottom line is that you always need to have at least one tm active in which you store all your translations. If you encounter anything like you describe, you can easily retranslate an untr
... See more
Sometimes just posting and writing it all up helps solve the problem

When "all your translations are gone", you may have opened a wrong file. I normally don't work with packages so I can't say a whole lot about how they work. But the bottom line is that you always need to have at least one tm active in which you store all your translations. If you encounter anything like you describe, you can easily retranslate an untranslated ("empty") sdlxliff with the tm.

I never use a "project tm" because this means that translations are not written to my intended/main tm's that help me translate. If I understand it correctly, you use a project tm when you don't want to write "scratch" translations to your final tms. However, I don't see an issue with this. I can edit segments later in a tm editor, or update it by making corrections in the sdlxliff. "Preparing a project without a project TM" is default in Studio.
http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/Edit_View/TMs/About_Project_Translation_Memories.htm

So, if you don't have your main tm yet, you could quickly commit all your segments at once to a newly created tm.

From the Studio Manual by Mats Linder (highly recommended):
"Note 1: If you have more than one TM for the language pair you are using, the project TM will be populated only with those fields which are common to all of them.
Note 2: A server-based TM does not simply mean that the TM is a file on a server for sharing with others using that server. If that is what you want, it is still a matter of a file-based TM (on a server with shared access). To create a bona fide server-based TM, you need SDL GroupShare, with appropriate permission by the administrator. See also the knowledgebase explanation, Guidelines on sharing SDL Trados Studio Translation Memories across a network."
And:
"The point of a project TM is that it will contain exclusively source segments from the current project, which may be advantageous in case a client wants to re-ceive such a TM; or in case you need to share it with a colleague, and you (naturally) do not want to share a “big mama” TM; or if you want to prevent TUs which have not yet been approved from being en-tered into the main project TM (that would instead be done during TM update after review and approval of the translation).
The project TM can be created during project creation, as a result of the Populate project translation memories batch task, which is per-formed if you select the task sequence Prepare or Analyze Only (see p. 98). (You can also create it by running the latter task at any time dur-ing the work on a project.) It is given a default name consisting of the project name plus the language code, and it is placed in a TM folder in the same place as the project folder.
By default, when you translate, only the project TM is updated, but this can be changed in the project settings. This is an example of what you may see in those settings – the top row shows the main TM and the row beneath is the project TM:
Despite what you may believe when you see this, it really means that only the project TM will be used. If you uncheck the Enabled box for the project TM, you will be asked if you want the main TM to be up-dated. If you say no, none will be updated. If you say yes, only the main TM will be updated (and the project TM will be pretty useless). And if you stick to the settings pictured but want to use the main TM for lookups (including concordance), you have to add it separately under another name, or open it via the AnyTM plug-in application (see p. 94).
Whatever you select here, the main TM(s) will be updated during the finalization process (p. 324)."

I hope this might help.
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There was a server TM which I had no access to on top row Feb 18, 2017

Thanks for trying to help Lianne! I need to get started but no matter what I do I don't get hits from the 28,000 words I just almost completed.

I think you might be right about main TM and project TM:

From the beginning, there was a main server TM on top row which was not activated but updates because I have no credentials for logging in (I asked my translation agency for them, but she didn't have them). Then there was a project TM beneath which was activated and update
... See more
Thanks for trying to help Lianne! I need to get started but no matter what I do I don't get hits from the 28,000 words I just almost completed.

I think you might be right about main TM and project TM:

From the beginning, there was a main server TM on top row which was not activated but updates because I have no credentials for logging in (I asked my translation agency for them, but she didn't have them). Then there was a project TM beneath which was activated and updated. Then I added the German reference TM in another language pair than the project language pair (English-German instead of English-Swedish), but I think I first added it (with help via remote session from SDL Support) as local on 3rd row, then as AnyTM on 4th row for some reason. All this worked fine: I got hits when I begun the translation from my project TM as I continued translating.

All problems started when I imported the second batch project package, and added my own TM from the first batch (I kept the server TM although it's not being used).

But how do I know which is project TM and which is main TM? If there is only 1 TM, which is project TM? Can this have been set by the translation agency perhaps and I can't change anything?

It doesn't matter how I uncheck or check the checkboxes in the TM list, I always get the wrong wordcount now (28,000, should be 3,500) and no hits from my batch 1 project.

I tried creating a project in MemoQ now and just added the SDLXLIFF files, but I'm not sure how to add the reference TM and I don't get it to work.

But I don't understand why it worked first time and not now?
Collapse

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hits are displayed now when I removed the reference TM Feb 18, 2017

When I have the reference TM and my project TM activated only hits from the project TM are displayed. Now when I removed the reference TM and only keep the project TM (server TM is also removed) I get hits from my project TM with my translations from batch 1.

But I need this German reference TM. How can I use it now? Use different translation providers for this language pair perhaps?

Anyway, I am reverting everything now and start from the beginning: open the first batc
... See more
When I have the reference TM and my project TM activated only hits from the project TM are displayed. Now when I removed the reference TM and only keep the project TM (server TM is also removed) I get hits from my project TM with my translations from batch 1.

But I need this German reference TM. How can I use it now? Use different translation providers for this language pair perhaps?

Anyway, I am reverting everything now and start from the beginning: open the first batch package, pre-translate or replace SDLXLIFF, open second batch package etc.

[Edited at 2017-02-18 08:52 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »