Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:03
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Autosuggestion setting Nov 29, 2016

Lucia Vargas wrote:

when I find a term inside a segment that is repeated twice or more, I may be able to apply the translated term from the termbase as many times as it appears in the segment, and not just the first time.

There's a setting in File>options>Editor>AutoSuggest: "Hide suggestions which have already been used".
Make sure it's unchecked.

I'm not sure if the option is available in Studio 2014, but it's definitely in 2015 and 2017.

Geof Aberhart
Geof Aberhart  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 04:03
Member (2015)
Chinese to English
Adaptive MT languages Nov 30, 2016

Is there any kind of timeline for the addition of new language pairs to the Adaptive MT? Or, to be more specific to my situation I guess, is there any plan to include Chinese as a source language for it?

Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert
Dr. phil. Christiane Bohnert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:03
English to German
I paid and the order is still processing after days - I do not get my licensing number Dec 8, 2016

Dear SDL friends,

when I realized that my order of Trados Studio 2017 plus (upgrade from Trados Studio 2015 plus) had not gone through automatically, I paid five days ago, and it is still saying "processing order". I put in a request to support, and they said they might get to it within two business days (which means I get the answer on late Monday or Tuesday). This is a nice leisurely way of doing things in an industry characterized by impossible deadlines.

Is there an
... See more
Dear SDL friends,

when I realized that my order of Trados Studio 2017 plus (upgrade from Trados Studio 2015 plus) had not gone through automatically, I paid five days ago, and it is still saying "processing order". I put in a request to support, and they said they might get to it within two business days (which means I get the answer on late Monday or Tuesday). This is a nice leisurely way of doing things in an industry characterized by impossible deadlines.

Is there any way to speed things up? Thank you very much.
Collapse

bluegrasstrans
bluegrasstrans  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
Couple issues Dec 9, 2016

One issue I'm noticing is that MultiTerm suggestions are not always shown immediately. I often have to cursor out and back into a unit for the MultiTerm suggestions to show in "Term recognition". Only then will they be autocompleted.

Also noticing some TM lookup performance issues on a *very* small memory from WorldServer (only 832 units). Hangs for 10-20 seconds on lookup where TS 2015 did not.

Lennart Luhtaru
Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
Finally retina supported Dec 10, 2016

better late than never... it finally supports retina resolutions and works OK even with parallels and 5K display. Kudos SDL!

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
The MS EXCEL file types are very convenient Dec 10, 2016

If you have a lot to do with bilingual files or tables of any sort, even complex ones with multi-columns and rows distributed in non-regular fashion, the Excel File Types of Studio 2017 do a great job with a lot of useful options for the import. There is also a Bilingual Excel file type really worth to mention: After import, your project files will only have the minimum or even no tags to handle and the file export give a 1:1 result for the styles, the structure etc., there is no post-editing ne... See more
If you have a lot to do with bilingual files or tables of any sort, even complex ones with multi-columns and rows distributed in non-regular fashion, the Excel File Types of Studio 2017 do a great job with a lot of useful options for the import. There is also a Bilingual Excel file type really worth to mention: After import, your project files will only have the minimum or even no tags to handle and the file export give a 1:1 result for the styles, the structure etc., there is no post-editing necessary.
This neat handling is not very spectacular, but it's one amongst the many things for which I like this CAT tool a lot.

Mike

[Edited at 2016-12-10 12:51 GMT]
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Reset the window layout Dec 10, 2016

bluegrasstrans wrote:

One issue I'm noticing is that MultiTerm suggestions are not always shown immediately. I often have to cursor out and back into a unit for the MultiTerm suggestions to show in "Term recognition". Only then will they be autocompleted.

Also noticing some TM lookup performance issues on a *very* small memory from WorldServer (only 832 units). Hangs for 10-20 seconds on lookup where TS 2015 did not.

Most of the time it helps to reset the entire window layout and redistribute the windows like you want. I have usually 2-4 termbases loaded and I have changed and saved the font layout for their display. I somtetimes encounter quirks, for example the concordance results not filling the entire screen when moving the window down, but as I said: resetting the whole window layout after some time will resolve most problems, especially terms not showing or strange error messages (...not an instance...).

Mike

[Edited at 2016-12-10 13:11 GMT]

Mats Linder
Mats Linder  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
The 2017 manual is out Dec 30, 2016

Since a couple of weeks, the "upgraded" Studio manual for the 2017 version is available here: tradosstudiomanual.com

(Not free, though.)

Happy New Year!
Mats

Kamil Gałczyński
Kamil Gałczyński  Identity Verified
Poland
German to Polish
Yeah, "Designed to make differrence"... Jan 12, 2017

unfortunately, not for my eyes! I can't understand, did you not heard, that many users complains about too bright color scheme in Trados 2015?! And what are you did with this in 2017? NOTHING. I can still choose only between Light Grey, Dark Grey and White. Did you still think, my eyes are indestructible?! After 10 hours staring into so bright screen I got heavy eye pain! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! Are you went completely crazy?! The best color scheme was in Studio 2009/2011! Even ColorTheme doesn't h... See more
unfortunately, not for my eyes! I can't understand, did you not heard, that many users complains about too bright color scheme in Trados 2015?! And what are you did with this in 2017? NOTHING. I can still choose only between Light Grey, Dark Grey and White. Did you still think, my eyes are indestructible?! After 10 hours staring into so bright screen I got heavy eye pain! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! Are you went completely crazy?! The best color scheme was in Studio 2009/2011! Even ColorTheme doesn't help - because I can't install it into 2017!
See this:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/302662-color_scheme_studio_2015.html
https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/8273
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/274792-trados_dark_night_theme.html
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/ed1de1dc-1389-4980-acf2-aefc95947ac1/changing-to-a-theme-with-color-in-office-2013

And make a real difference!

[Zmieniono 2017-01-12 11:07 GMT]
Collapse

TalTranslations
TalTranslations
United Kingdom
English to Hebrew
Thanks Kamil - dark color theme wanted Jan 12, 2017

The Color Theme plugin can not be used in 2017 (yet)?!

I was about to upgrade, but now I hear this I'll wait.

I agree with kamil. SDL should include a standard Black/Dark theme.

To Kamil: In the meantime you could change the background of the editor pane to soft grey or soft yellow.
That's at least something.

[Edited at 2017-01-12 12:08 GMT]

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:03
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Color scheme Jan 12, 2017

I agree. I have dimmed my screens to lower brightness levels and made the background of the editor darker (grey), and also adjusted other colors that make it easier on my eyes.
http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Ref/U-Z/Options/Options_Dialog_Box_Fonts_and_Colors_Editor.htm

... See more
I agree. I have dimmed my screens to lower brightness levels and made the background of the editor darker (grey), and also adjusted other colors that make it easier on my eyes.
http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Ref/U-Z/Options/Options_Dialog_Box_Fonts_and_Colors_Editor.htm

For the time being (or in general), I also recommend trying out f.lux to put some extra red on your screen.
Or Iris, that I have not tried myself: http://iristech.co/iris/

The blue light on computer screens and other devices contribute to macular degeneration: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/67962187/optometrist-warns-screen-use-may-cause-early-macular-degenerationis

[Edited at 2017-01-12 14:20 GMT]
Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Support needed Jan 12, 2017

Lianne van de Ven wrote:

For the time being (or in general), I also recommend trying out f.lux to put some extra red on your screen.

Thanks for your suggestions Lianne, but ...

I want to know what the quickest way is to receive technical support - directly from the company that makes Studio. Shouldn't that be included in the price? I tried out Studio 2017 for the last 30 days and I ran into many problems that I never had with the version I bought back in 2009 and still use. I contacted them and am still waiting.

[Edited at 2017-01-12 14:21 GMT]

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
SDL forums Jan 12, 2017

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions Lianne, but ...

I want to know what the quickest way is to receive technical support - directly from the company that makes Studio. Shouldn't that be included in the price? I tried out Studio 2017 for the last 30 days and I ran into many problems that I never had with the version I bought back in 2009 and still use.

Bernard, for direct support from SDL, you can go to https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 22:03
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Colours, WinForms, blue light Jan 12, 2017

Let me point out that Trados Studio is a Windows Forms application, which makes the production of colour themes very time-consuming. Perhaps SDL decided that they'd better dedicate this time to other tasks. For everyone to be pleased with the colour scheme and for a much more aesthetically pleasing experience overall, the GUI portion of Studio w... See more
Let me point out that Trados Studio is a Windows Forms application, which makes the production of colour themes very time-consuming. Perhaps SDL decided that they'd better dedicate this time to other tasks. For everyone to be pleased with the colour scheme and for a much more aesthetically pleasing experience overall, the GUI portion of Studio would need to be based on XAML (so, either on Windows Presentation Foundation or Universal Windows Platform). This task would be worthwhile, I believe.

Now, with regard to blue light, you can download f.lux and set it to make your monitor's light warmer after sunset. And if you are on Windows 10, you can wait a couple of months for the "Creators Update" to be released. It will provide functionality similar to that of f.lux built in the OS.

[Edited at 2017-01-12 15:00 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
You also asked a question in here... Jan 12, 2017

https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90/p/5498/38213#38213

Haven't seen you respond yet?

Regards

Paul
Why not try the new SDL Community

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2017 is here - Designed to make the difference

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »