https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/186130-error%3A_move_to_last_child_inner_exception-page2.html?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Error: Move to Last Child. Inner Exception
Thread poster: kittilina
kittilina
kittilina  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:10
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I agree, it doesn't work Jul 14, 2011

I tried the fix that SDL suggested and it didn't work. Using open document instead of creating a project doesn't help and I was only using file based TMs.

Also, if you are doing a translation from scratch, even if you have a TM, and it is, for example, 20,000 words then not saving it is not really an option!

So many people seem to have had this problem now - if it really is a bug, then maybe SDL might think about fixing it!!

Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
SDL might not only think about fixing it Jul 14, 2011

but it might also think about testing properly and not selling a product, for such a lot of money (seriously over-priced) when it does not work.

Microsoft and Apple would not dare sell anything that does not work. And they are way below this price.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:10
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Ever heard of the "blue screen of death"? Jul 14, 2011

Kirsten Bodart wrote:

Microsoft and Apple would not dare sell anything that does not work. And they are way below this price.

No idea where you got such a quaint idea: can't really speak about Apple, but Microsoft's software always ships with plenty of bugs, crashes on a regular basis, sometimes with a complete loss of whatever you were working on.

It's not even all that cheap: Office Professional 2010 retails for $ 400 to $ 500 for a new license (depending where you buy it) - Windows 7 ultimate for about $ 300.

Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
The blue screen of death Jul 14, 2011

Never had the pleasure of that occurring. Sorry. In ten + years of working with that.

Windows doesn't cost all that much considering it is an operating system you use for several years, not something that can be used for one purpose only.

Ever had Word refusing to save any document whatsoever?

I remember buying Microsoft Office 2007 for around 200 euro VAT incl I think. Three licenses, not one and it still works.

My husband bought his Office
... See more
Never had the pleasure of that occurring. Sorry. In ten + years of working with that.

Windows doesn't cost all that much considering it is an operating system you use for several years, not something that can be used for one purpose only.

Ever had Word refusing to save any document whatsoever?

I remember buying Microsoft Office 2007 for around 200 euro VAT incl I think. Three licenses, not one and it still works.

My husband bought his Office 2009, one license, he thinks, also 200 VAT incl, may be wrong.

Even if the computer crashes, these days there is an auto-save device that saves your thing and puts it on a clipboard for you at regular intervals.

Trados just refuses to save to target.

If you are working on a 20,000 word document and have to deliver in half an hour, that is unacceptable. And they provide a workaround which they know very well does not work with Starter edition.

Do they propose paying the damages your agency demands from you if you miss your deadline purely because of their neglect?

Call me conservative, but I find that pretty poor.

[Edited at 2011-07-14 19:19 GMT]
Collapse

Thais Maria Lips
Thais Maria Lips  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I got a solution for Trados Error: Move to Last Child. Inner Exception Jul 27, 2011

Make sure your memory is saved and updated with the work you just did.
Close everything.
Open Studio.
Open the original word document.
A window will open with options "Open existing project file" and below "Create new project file".
Make sure you choose the second option"Create new project file".
Run Trados again. You will have the opportunity to fix bad tags.
And voila: save target!

[Edited at 2011-07-27 18:52 GMT]

Jonathan von Zelowitz
Jonathan von Zelowitz  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Paul's tip worked for me Aug 1, 2011

1. Paul's tip ("Use Open Document instead of Create a Project...") worked for me.

2. Thais, can you please be a little more precise about the menu items or buttons to click for your solution? I keep getting into the same dialog as with Paul's solution, and never get asked to "Create new project file".

Thanks to you both!

Ana Vanoli
Ana Vanoli  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
If you are in a hurry and find no "formal" solution Aug 28, 2011

I have just had the same problem... found this thread, tried some of the tips, did not work, so it came to my mind to open the source doc in Word, delete the lines that were spotted as having error by Trados, back to Trados, I deleted that file from the Project, loaded the one I had just deleted the lines from, ran Trados again and then saved the target without problem. In my case it was just three very short lines that I then entered manually in the target doc.
While a more orthodox solu
... See more
I have just had the same problem... found this thread, tried some of the tips, did not work, so it came to my mind to open the source doc in Word, delete the lines that were spotted as having error by Trados, back to Trados, I deleted that file from the Project, loaded the one I had just deleted the lines from, ran Trados again and then saved the target without problem. In my case it was just three very short lines that I then entered manually in the target doc.
While a more orthodox solution is found, this saved me
Regards
Ana
Collapse

Péter Tófalvi
Péter Tófalvi  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
This error Sep 2, 2011

...probably occurs if one works one Word document converted from a PDF by OCR. The latter process may leave some quite strange codes or formatting in what becomes our source text. A smart programmert would write a software that filters out any such troubling codes.

Boana
Boana
Local time: 05:10
English to Russian
+ ...
another solution Dec 12, 2011

Just in case I'm still not alone with the aforesaid problem.

This one has just rescued me: save the original .docx as Word 97-2003 .doc
start Studio
open document
insert target from the TM (automatically)
save
export

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Most thought-provoking error message ever Dec 12, 2011

This is totally off-topic, but this has to be the most thought-provoking error message I ever read. Who's the last child? Why do you have to move there? And as for inner exception... that really is profound.

Shankaran Viswanathan
Shankaran Viswanathan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:40
French to English
+ ...
Where is the last child? Dec 13, 2011

I really pity this last child, orphaned and excepted and totally abandoned. From my limited knowledge, I understand that this error is not related to Trados but rather to one of the related applications like Java or Visual Basic. If you google last child, you can see a number of references not related to Trados at all.

Vishwa
Dehradun
India

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 05:10
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

What is the conversation about... Dec 13, 2011

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

This is totally off-topic, but this has to be the most thought-provoking error message I ever read. Who's the last child? Why do you have to move there? And as for inner exception... that really is profound.

I have often wondered why Trados error messages are so difficult to decipher. Wouldn't it be easier to write something along the lines of "Please, check tag consistency in Segment 256"? Of course, that would not sound as cabbalic and transcedental as "Move to Last Child", but it may help translators for a change?

Here is one possible explanation, albeit a pessimistic one:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/213184-urgent:_studio_v2009_sp3_refuses_to_export_finished_translation_length_cannot_be_less_than_zero.html

As people say: "If not sure what the conversation is about, chances are, it is about money".

Xavier Omilanowski
Xavier Omilanowski  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
Move to last child... solved for me! Dec 16, 2011

Context:
The doc I had to translate was created by PDF conversion into MS Word 2007. I created a project in Trados 2009 SP3 and started the translation.

Problem:
When I tried to "finalize" to check how it looked like, I got this MOVE TO LAST CHILD problem.

Solution:
Coming here at the first place and going through comments and shared experiences. Thank you everyone (special thanks to Boana), it is so helpful to find solutions thanks to knowledge shari
... See more
Context:
The doc I had to translate was created by PDF conversion into MS Word 2007. I created a project in Trados 2009 SP3 and started the translation.

Problem:
When I tried to "finalize" to check how it looked like, I got this MOVE TO LAST CHILD problem.

Solution:
Coming here at the first place and going through comments and shared experiences. Thank you everyone (special thanks to Boana), it is so helpful to find solutions thanks to knowledge sharing.
What worked for me was to:
- delete the project (NOT the TM!!!),
- save my 2007 Word doc into 1997-2003 version,
- create a brand new project in Trados,
- use my new 1997-2003 doc,
- fill the target with the TM,
- finalize straight away to check if the problem was solved... AND IT WAS!

Hope this could help, and good luck if it doesn't
Best regards
Collapse

Maria Marcal
Maria Marcal
Portugal
Local time: 03:10
Italian to German
+ ...
Must be a bug Feb 5, 2018

Hi to all of you!

The same problem occurred to me.
I tried all you said, but nothing resolved the problem.
So I created a new word document, opened it in Trados (under a new name) and translated all the segments with the help of the TM (just took me a few minutes). The new file could be saved in Word without any problems.
This makes me conclude that it must be some kind of a system bug which just can't be fixed.

Maybe if you try to do the same I did, y
... See more
Hi to all of you!

The same problem occurred to me.
I tried all you said, but nothing resolved the problem.
So I created a new word document, opened it in Trados (under a new name) and translated all the segments with the help of the TM (just took me a few minutes). The new file could be saved in Word without any problems.
This makes me conclude that it must be some kind of a system bug which just can't be fixed.

Maybe if you try to do the same I did, you can revert your document to Word.

Good luck!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error: Move to Last Child. Inner Exception

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »