How to open TM of Trados 2007 in Studio 2009?
Thread poster: Vladyslav Golovaty
Vladyslav Golovaty
Vladyslav Golovaty  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:42
Member (2010)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Nov 22, 2010

The Translation Memory file formats mdf, tmw etc from Trados 2007 I need to open in Trados 2009 SP2, (all or any of them, I do not know) just how to? The 2009 is rejecting by "You do not have Trados 2007 installed on your machine". That is true, but I need the TM.

Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:42
English to French
+ ...
convert to tmx then import Nov 22, 2010

Studio can't read these formats indeed, you will need to convert them to tmx first.

I usually do it via Trados 2007 (which comes with Studio; so I assume you have a licence for it, even if you did not install it on your PC), but I think you can do this conversion using other programs, e.g. ApSIC Xbench http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html
I am not sure ApSIC can re
... See more
Studio can't read these formats indeed, you will need to convert them to tmx first.

I usually do it via Trados 2007 (which comes with Studio; so I assume you have a licence for it, even if you did not install it on your PC), but I think you can do this conversion using other programs, e.g. ApSIC Xbench http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html
I am not sure ApSIC can read/convert mdf files though.

Once you have the TMX you will simply need to create a new (empty) TM in Studio and import the TMX, in Studio's "TranslationMemories" view.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
upgrading TMs from Trados 2007 in Studio 2009 Nov 22, 2010

There are 2 options.

1. Open Studio>home>Upgrade translation memories. Here you will be able to import the 2007 .tmw format. However, if you haven't got 2007 installed on your machine then this option won't work.
2. Ask your client to export their 2007 TM in .tmx format and proceed as Aude mentions.

If you have the Starter version of Studio, you won't have Trados 2007 so you will have to use option 2.
If you have Studio Freelance, you will find the Trados 20
... See more
There are 2 options.

1. Open Studio>home>Upgrade translation memories. Here you will be able to import the 2007 .tmw format. However, if you haven't got 2007 installed on your machine then this option won't work.
2. Ask your client to export their 2007 TM in .tmx format and proceed as Aude mentions.

If you have the Starter version of Studio, you won't have Trados 2007 so you will have to use option 2.
If you have Studio Freelance, you will find the Trados 2007 application comes bundled with it but it is a separate download that you can access from "my account" on the SDL website. It has a separate licence no. too.

I understood from your earlier post that you did have Trados 2007 (glad I was able to help you with that problem, by the way), so in that case you should use option 1.

HTH
Collapse

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
unable to Import .ttx TM with Studio 2009! Jun 9, 2012

hello

sorry to come back late to this topic, I have Studio 2009 freelance SP3;

I must import a [Trados] TM provided by a client. I've got it in .ttx format.

As mentioned by Aude, I created an empty TM after entering the TM mode (it isn't displayed)

No menu shows the TM import option, nothing about the TM import option in the French help text.

There is an "import" icon (up left), but it doesn't work (clicking once, clicking twice, n
... See more
hello

sorry to come back late to this topic, I have Studio 2009 freelance SP3;

As mentioned by Aude, I created an empty TM after entering the TM mode (it isn't displayed)

No menu shows the TM import option, nothing about the TM import option in the French help text.

There is an "import" icon (up left), but it doesn't work (clicking once, clicking twice, nothing happens).

May be you have a suggestion..

Thanks a lot and have a nice week-end,

Marie
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
TTX or TXT? Jun 11, 2012

Marie Chevassus wrote:

Hi Marie,

If it's a TXT, and I suspect it is, then you have two choices... at least.

1. Upgrade the TXT either on it's own or with an existing sdltm. The latter can be used to merge them together.

2. If you have Trados 2007 installed then open the TXT in there and export as TMX. Then import the TMX.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to open TM of Trados 2007 in Studio 2009?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »