Thread poster: Mark Harvey
Mark Harvey
Mark Harvey  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:05
French to English
+ ...
Oct 18, 2010

Has anyone any experience of using Trados Studio 2009 on a Mac, with Virtual PC or other PC simulator? I'm hoping to avoid having to buy a PC!

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Works fine Oct 18, 2010

Mark

This topic has already been discussed a few times here, so if you do a search you should find quite a few posts on this subject.

Apart from some minor issues, it works fine.

A colleague of mine is using it extensively on a MacBook without any problems.

Walter

Mark Harvey
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 18, 2010

Thank you, I've found some mentions. On the other hand, most of them seem to concern problems...

Stefan Krause
Stefan Krause  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
try Virtual Box Oct 18, 2010

Hi Mark,

You could try a virtualization software called "Virtual Box", which is free of charge. It works on Macs and Windows PCs. All you need then is Windows itself, you need to purchase it if you do not have a copy yet. Good luck !

Stefan

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 18:05
English to Portuguese
No probs on my MacBook Pro, but it runs slower than on a PC... Oct 18, 2010

I use Studio 2009 (and Trados 2007) in my MacBook Pro (CPU Intel i7, 15", OS X 10.6.4) inside a virtual session of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit managed by Paralells Desktop 6 for Mac, with no problems so far. Of course Studio gets slower running on a virtual session that on a "pure" Windows environment, but more memory can make it up for that, to a point...

Previous version of Parallels (#5) I used presented some problems of freezing Studio while on Parallels Coherence, and I bought VM
... See more
I use Studio 2009 (and Trados 2007) in my MacBook Pro (CPU Intel i7, 15", OS X 10.6.4) inside a virtual session of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit managed by Paralells Desktop 6 for Mac, with no problems so far. Of course Studio gets slower running on a virtual session that on a "pure" Windows environment, but more memory can make it up for that, to a point...

Previous version of Parallels (#5) I used presented some problems of freezing Studio while on Parallels Coherence, and I bought VMFusion, which worked great. Nevertheless, I missed the perfect integration of Parallels' "Coherence" in Mac OS X (you run Studio/Trados like they were Mac apps), and I upgraded my licence to version 6, which is working with no probs so far (AutoSuggest, everything).

Anyway, I have seen some people reporting problems, but I guess most of them can be avoided if you do this:

- FIRST, create a BootCamp partition in your Mac, installing Windows 7 there. Install Office, Trados, Studio, get the latest patches for everything. That has the added bonus of, if everything goes wrong in the Mac environment, you just reboot in Windows and work normally...

- ONLY after that you create your virtual partition, either using VMFusion, Parallels, VBox, whatever. When the virtualization software asks if you'd like to create a brand new virtual disk or convert from the existing BootCamp partition, choose BootCamp. That makes you import seemlessly (at least it looks like being so ) all things Windows, and there you have Trados, Studio, Office, everything you installed on the "Windows Mac"...

You know, Office, Trados and Studio are apps that, IMHO, when starting to show probs, you really need to uninstall everything, apply all patches mandatory and non-mandatory from Win Updt and only then reinstall the apps (Office first, Trados/Studio afterwards).

Rgds

Edric
Collapse

Mark Harvey
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Edric Oct 18, 2010

That is a really comprehensive and most helpful answer. You have made me feel much more confident about going ahead on the Mac. Thank you for taking the time and trouble.

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 18:05
English to Portuguese
Go for it... Oct 18, 2010

You're welcome, Mark.

Just remember to go "the fail-safe" way: as soon as you get your Mac, go to Apps/Utilities/Boot Camp and create a Windows partition, installing Windows (Vista or 7 32 or 64-bit). After that, reboot in your new WinMac and install Office, 2007 or 2010. If you have Office 2010, install the 32-bit version (recommended by MS itself). Trados 2007 Suite (build 813) work great with both. Studio does not
... See more
You're welcome, Mark.

Just remember to go "the fail-safe" way: as soon as you get your Mac, go to Apps/Utilities/Boot Camp and create a Windows partition, installing Windows (Vista or 7 32 or 64-bit). After that, reboot in your new WinMac and install Office, 2007 or 2010. If you have Office 2010, install the 32-bit version (recommended by MS itself). Trados 2007 Suite (build 813) work great with both. Studio does not need Office to be functional.

I would get a Mac with at least an Intel i5 CPU and would put 8 GB RAM there: good for speed in the virtual environment. But 4 GB will do.

Rgds

Edric
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 on Mac?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »