Marina Vittoria
Marina Vittoria  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:08
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 11, 2010

I upgraded my Trados Studio SP2 to SP3.
The programme and the memories work, but the term reconition doesn't.
I already upgraded all the termbases, but it still doesn't work.
Please, help me because this is a big issue for my work.
Thank you in advance.

Susanne Rieg (X)
Susanne Rieg (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Issue still not fixed Oct 11, 2010

Hi Marina,
SDL seem not to have fixed this issue in SP3. See my thread:
http://deu.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/182395-studio_sp3_no_open_termbase.html

You need to run "LaunchStudio.bat" as with SP2.

Actually, it would be nice to read a non-marketing list of issues that are actually fixed with SP3... For insta
... See more
Hi Marina,
http://deu.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/182395-studio_sp3_no_open_termbase.html

Actually, it would be nice to read a non-marketing list of issues that are actually fixed with SP3... For instance, what are the "180 customer suggestions (that) have been included in SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP3" mentioned on the SDL website? And which bugs were fixed?
I know that marketing people often hesitate to admit to any bugs... but...

Sanne

[Bearbeitet am 2010-10-11 12:44 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
off topic: one suggestion that has been implemented Oct 11, 2010

@ Susanne
Sorry for going off-topic but I thought I'd mention one of the "180 customer suggestions":

I am delighted to see that SP3 has implemented the idea of not having to set "Display settings" to words (bottom righthand corner of the Editor window) every time you start work each day. It now remembers how you left it the last time
A tiny but much-welcomed improvement.

Back on-topic:
... See more
@ Susanne
Sorry for going off-topic but I thought I'd mention one of the "180 customer suggestions":

I am delighted to see that SP3 has implemented the idea of not having to set "Display settings" to words (bottom righthand corner of the Editor window) every time you start work each day. It now remembers how you left it the last time
A tiny but much-welcomed improvement.

Back on-topic:
I open Workbench every day (for ttx conversions) and until SP3 I have always lost Term Recognition when I return to Studio.
With SP3 this has only happened twice (inexplicably) since June (running SP3 beta version). That means the other (maybe 100) days it has worked. So it is probably unrelated to Workbench now.
Collapse

Marina Vittoria
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Susanne, but please, forgive my ignorance. Where do I find "LaunchStudio.bat"? Oct 11, 2010

Susanne Rieg wrote:

Hi Marina,

Actually, it would be nice to read a non-marketing list of issues that are actually fixed with SP3... For instance, what are the "180 customer suggestions (that) have been included in SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP3" mentioned on the SDL website? And which bugs were fixed?
I know that marketing people often hesitate to admit to any bugs... but...

Sanne

[Bearbeitet am 2010-10-11 12:44 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
couple of things to check Oct 11, 2010

Hi Marina,
Before you try the launchstudio.bat workaround here: http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3093&p=1
- Check that your termbase is open in the Termbase Viewer (View>Termbase Viewer)
- Check that you have clicked on the Term Recognition window tab and that you haven't got the Termbase Search tab showing instead.
HTH

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Same problem here Oct 13, 2010

I just wanted to add: Same problem here, the issue doesn't seem to have been fixed with SP3. The launchstudio.bat workaround seems to work so far.

Regards,
Erik

Marina Vittoria
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I solved my problem Oct 13, 2010

Many thanks to everybody. I launched "LaunchStudio.bat" and now my Term Recognition works.
This was the right solution!

Emma Goldsmith
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TTX IT Oct 13, 2010

Hi Marina,
Glad to hear you've got term recognition back after using LaunchStudio.bat

I've found that since I've been using TTX IT to convert my files to ttx instead of opening Workbench, I don't get this issue.

The li
... See more
Hi Marina,
Glad to hear you've got term recognition back after using LaunchStudio.bat

I've found that since I've been using TTX IT to convert my files to ttx instead of opening Workbench, I don't get this issue.

The link to it is in my post yesterday here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/182395-studio_sp3_no_open_termbase.html#1602526

It could be worth a try.
Collapse

Rob Lunn
Rob Lunn  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Term Recognition still doesn’t work after running LaunchStudio.bat Oct 15, 2010

I've got the same problem, but running LaunchStudio.bat (as administrator, I’m on Vista) hasn't helped.

The termbase is open in the Termbase Viewer, but I get no results in the Term Recognition window.

I didn’t explicitly upgrade my termbases, although I did try importing all the entries of an old termbase into a new one without any success.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks.

Marina Vittoria
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
try to delete 3 files Oct 15, 2010

Go to AppData in Vista and then to Roaming > SDL > SDL Trados Studio >9.1.0.0. then delete:

- BaseSettings
- Plugincache
- Usersettings

Then restart your Studio with LaunchStudio.bat.

Try to do this, it should work!

Rob Lunn
Rob Lunn  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Still no luck Oct 15, 2010

Thanks anyway Marina.

Marina Vittoria
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Oct 15, 2010

I am sorry, but I have not other suggestions.
Try to contact SDL in chat on their website!
Best wishes...

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Might be the Sidebyside tools didn't install properly Oct 17, 2010

Hi all,

There is a fix in SP3 for this issue, and for most users it takes effect. But we have seen this failing for some, as seen here. It may be that the problem arises because the sidebyside tools are not installed and activated for some reason.

Can you try the following to ensure they are installed correctly.

First of all you need to make sure the sidebyside tool is installed. You can install it by running the Sdl.Multiter
... See more
Hi all,

There is a fix in SP3 for this issue, and for most users it takes effect. But we have seen this failing for some, as seen here. It may be that the problem arises because the sidebyside tools are not installed and activated for some reason.

Can you try the following to ensure they are installed correctly.

First of all you need to make sure the sidebyside tool is installed. You can install it by running the Sdl.Multiterm.SideBySide.msi which you can find here;

C:\Program Files\SDL\Installers\SDLTradosStudio2009SP3\modules

Or

C:\Program Files\SDL\Installers\SDLMultiTerm2009SP3\modules

Once installed you go to the installation folder for the sidebyside tool (as it may not be in the startmenu if you don't make use of MultiTerm 2007 as well) and the _ModifyShortcuts.cmd which you can find here;

C:\Program Files\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\MultiTermSideBySide

Now start Workbench again, close it (just to make sure the term recognition is broken) and start Studio again. There should be a pop up window showing the setup of the components before Studio starts that fix this issue when switching between versions.

This might fix the problem. SP3 does this automatically for the majority of users but as we can see, for some it does not. It may be down to the order in which the software is all installed, not sure; can you tell me in which order you installed the software?

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Susanne Rieg (X)
Susanne Rieg (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Did not work Oct 17, 2010

Paul,
I tried your suggested fix. In my case the Sidebyside Tool was installed. Nevertheless I followed you suggested steps, but term recognition remained broken. Also there was no pop up window showing the setup of the components before Studio started!!

Then I ran LaunchStudiobat and term recognition was back.

Regarding the issue of adding terms to Multiterm in Termbase Viewer, I did quite a few jobs recently with various Multiterm TBs and have consistent
... See more
Paul,
I tried your suggested fix. In my case the Sidebyside Tool was installed. Nevertheless I followed you suggested steps, but term recognition remained broken. Also there was no pop up window showing the setup of the components before Studio started!!

Regarding the issue of adding terms to Multiterm in Termbase Viewer, I did quite a few jobs recently with various Multiterm TBs and have consistently noticed, that you cannot add/edit terms within Studio once the Multiterm TB reaches a certain size.
I don't know exactly where this limit is, but I have a bilingual TB with more than 890 MB with only around 12.000 entries but several fields on term level. I cannot add any terms to this one in Studio, only in Multiterm itself.
Other TBs with sizes of 101 MB and around 25.000 entries or 356 MB and around 91.000 entries pose no problem. So it is the actual file size.
I have projects with up to 5 TBs open and can add terms (or edit terms) to all but the large size TBs.
Reorganizing the TBs in Multiterm has had no effect, as the total size does not change. The only thing I could probably do is to reduce the number of additional fields, but that would of course reduce the information content of my termbases.

BTW these are Multiterm TBs that have grown to this size over the past 15 years. They started in one of the very early Multiterm versions and I have migrated them ever since...

Sanne
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Two more suggestions Oct 17, 2010

Susanne Rieg wrote:

Hi Susanne,

Two more questions before I think we need to take a look at your computer. First, have you tried running Studio as Administrator by rightclicking the Studio link and selecting this option? Secondly do you have a an old shortcut that is used to start up Studio, or maybe a keyboard shortcut that links directly to the SDLTradosStudio.exe.

The latter is something I fell foul of when we first released this solution because there is a script in the start up icon that will not trigger the fix if you don't use the one in Start-Programmes-SDL-SDL Trados Studio 2009 folder, or a new shortcut created from this one.

Your Studio start icon should trigger the following command in the target field.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\MultiTermSideBySide\Launch.exe" 2009 -close -execute "C:\Program Files (x86)\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio1\SDLTradosStudio.exe"

or for a 32-bit machine

"C:\Program Files\SDL\SDL MultiTerm\MultiTermSideBySide\Launch.exe" 2009 -close -execute "C:\Program Files\SDL\SDL Trados Studio\Studio1\SDLTradosStudio.exe"

On the size issue. I doubt this is the problem. I have seen termbases in excess of several million terms, all with complete definitions, photographs, external lonks etc and they all work fine. I also know a heavy Multiterm user in this community who I believe set a record (as far as I know) of working successfully with around 60 termbases in Studio just to see if it would work.

Let's see whether any of these two ideas help, and if not we can take a look tomorrow.

Regards

Paul

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Term recognition doesn't work in Trados Studio 2009 SP3

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »