Lucienne Müller (X)
Lucienne Müller (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 16:29
English to German
+ ...
May 18, 2010

Hi everyone

I have Excel 2003 on my laptop, the program is registered with microsoft.
Strangely I cannot open any Excel 2003 file in the studio, the error is
"Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

I have just one Excel 2007 file on my laptop, and there is no problem opening this one with trados. But I need to use my Excel 2003...
With word no problem at all...

Any ideas how I could solve this problem?

... See more
Hi everyone

I have Excel 2003 on my laptop, the program is registered with microsoft.
Strangely I cannot open any Excel 2003 file in the studio, the error is
"Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

I have just one Excel 2007 file on my laptop, and there is no problem opening this one with trados. But I need to use my Excel 2003...
With word no problem at all...

Any ideas how I could solve this problem?

Thanks a lot
Lucienne
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:29
English
Using SP2? May 20, 2010

Hi Lucienne,

In SP2 we introduced an improved filter for Excel 2007 that works by converting the files to xslx first and then back again. If you have Excel 2003 installed then you need the compatibility pack (free from Microsoft) installed to use this. You can get the pack at this link.

According to our release notes if you don't ha
... See more
Hi Lucienne,

In SP2 we introduced an improved filter for Excel 2007 that works by converting the files to xslx first and then back again. If you have Excel 2003 installed then you need the compatibility pack (free from Microsoft) installed to use this. You can get the pack at this link.

According to our release notes if you don't have this then your old filter will be used instead, so I'm not sure what is happening there, but it's worth adding the compatibility pack and trying again before we try anything else.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Leena vom Hofe
Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Same problem only on one computer Aug 31, 2010

Dear collegues,

I am having the same problem as Lucienne... Creating a project with an Excel file (2003) in Studio (SP2) does not work on my PC with Windows XP.

I always get the message "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

Now, I tried every solution I found in all those threads about this error message (closing, re-opening, shutting down Excel in Task Manager, rebooting computer, I even reinstalled the compatibility pack...) Nothing
... See more
Dear collegues,

I am having the same problem as Lucienne... Creating a project with an Excel file (2003) in Studio (SP2) does not work on my PC with Windows XP.

I always get the message "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

Now, I tried every solution I found in all those threads about this error message (closing, re-opening, shutting down Excel in Task Manager, rebooting computer, I even reinstalled the compatibility pack...) Nothing seems to work!

I tried and created the same project on my laptop (Windows 7) and it works without problems (where I also use Office 2003)!

What's that supposed to mean? Maybe someone can explain this to me?

A nice day to you all.

Leena
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try Excel 2007 Aug 31, 2010

Convert the file to Excel 2007 and try again.

Leena vom Hofe
Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't have Office 2007 Sep 1, 2010

Hi Jerzy

Thanks for your answer.

I don't have Office 2007. So that won't be possible...

I can work now on my laptop, so this will do... I was just wondering if this error has to do with Windows XP?

Leena

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use the free MS converter Sep 1, 2010

You can download a free compatibility pack for Office 2003 from MS homepage.
BTW, Office 2007 has a lot of advantages, so I would recommend buiyg a licence.
If you do that now (until 30th of September) in Germany, you will be also entitled for a free upgrade for Office 2010 - so a good deal indeed.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 03:29
English to Thai
+ ...
Additional knowledge: MS Office 2003 and MS Office 2007 in one Windows Sep 2, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

You can download a free compatibility pack for Office 2003 from MS homepage.
BTW, Office 2007 has a lot of advantages, so I would recommend buiyg a licence.
If you do that now (until 30th of September) in Germany, you will be also entitled for a free upgrade for Office 2010 - so a good deal indeed.

Just to add information that you can install MS Office 2003 and MS Office 2007 in one Windows to switch using for your specific purpose. I use Word 2003 with WordFast Classic, and Office 2007 with Trados 2007 and regular file handling. Microsoft has a knowledgebase on how to install 2 Offices in one Windows. Basically, you install the older version first. Next, install with the newer version Office.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel 2003 and Trados Studio 2009

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »