Paula González Fernández
Paula González Fernández  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 5, 2010

Hello everyone,
I'm pretty sure this topic has already been addressed, but I've been skimming the different forums and couldn't get a proper answer to my doubt.
I have a pc with Windows Vista 64 bits and I'm not really happy about it. Can't really go back to Windows XP due to the characteristics of the computer, so the other option (recommended by many) is to upgrade to Windows 7, which seems to be more stable.
Now, I mainly use the PC for work, and I always work with Trados 20
... See more
Hello everyone,
I'm pretty sure this topic has already been addressed, but I've been skimming the different forums and couldn't get a proper answer to my doubt.
I have a pc with Windows Vista 64 bits and I'm not really happy about it. Can't really go back to Windows XP due to the characteristics of the computer, so the other option (recommended by many) is to upgrade to Windows 7, which seems to be more stable.
Now, I mainly use the PC for work, and I always work with Trados 2007 Freelance and Multiterm 2007. I DON'T WANT TO UPGRADE (not yet) to Trados 2009. Is it possible to upgrade to Windows 7 keeping my (beloved) Trados and MT 2007????? Are they compatible? (I think I read somewhere they weren't).
Thanks very much in advance for your time and help!
Paula

PS I forgot to mention that I had Office 2007 but Trados seemed to give some problems and now I use Office 2003.

[Edited at 2010-02-05 21:36 GMT]
Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 03:07
English to Spanish
Have a look to this... Feb 6, 2010

Hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlLYt3NrhZk

Paula González Fernández
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Feb 6, 2010

Thanks, but that's about Windows Vista, I've already done all that, I wanna know about Windows 7...

Luisa Fiorini
Luisa Fiorini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Compatibility Feb 6, 2010

Hi Paula,

I contacted the Italian reseller of Trados and they got this answer from SDL:

«I can confirm that SDL Trados 2007 Suite will run on Windows 7 and is fully compatible.

Please note that only SDL Trados 2007 Suite is compatible on 64-bit versions of Windows 7. Therefore, if you are using the 64-bit version, please check that you are installing SDL Trados 2007 Suite.»

Hope this helps

Have a nice weekend

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:07
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
who told you that? Feb 6, 2010

Paula González Fernández wrote: Can't really go back to Windows XP due to the characteristics of the computer

Actually,they simply want you to buy Win_7.
What is so very special in you hardware that will be the problem? Downgrade is always possible.
upgrade to Windows 7, which seems to be more stable

It will be... Some day... at least after Service Pack 1... It will get stable by 2012-2013, as XP did in its time... It took 5 years to polish XP. It will take at least 3 to have 7 be acceptable, IHMO.

I am staying with XP SP3, Office 2003 and Trados 2007. I am happy.

Paula González Fernández
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Feb 24, 2010

Thanks everyone for all your answers!!!
If anyone has personal experience of running Trados 2007 Suite Freelance on Windows 7, I would appreciate any comments!
Thanks,
Paula

Mattia Marcon
Mattia Marcon  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
my experience Feb 24, 2010

Hi, I just bought my laptop last autumn and it runs Windows 7.
Having only SDL Freelance 2007 with no upgrade to 2009 Suite I was forced to make it work...and it works!
My OS is Windows 7 Professional 64, and problems usually start with 64 bit versions, but here all seems to run fine. I checked on SDL website and some time ago they added some patches to make their software more compatible. Only Synergy is not working at all on my laptop, but I don't care, I never used it. Trados Wor
... See more
Hi, I just bought my laptop last autumn and it runs Windows 7.
Having only SDL Freelance 2007 with no upgrade to 2009 Suite I was forced to make it work...and it works!
My OS is Windows 7 Professional 64, and problems usually start with 64 bit versions, but here all seems to run fine. I checked on SDL website and some time ago they added some patches to make their software more compatible. Only Synergy is not working at all on my laptop, but I don't care, I never used it. Trados Workbench is ok, SDLX is ok. Multiterm should be ok, but not tested yet. All my dictionaries ok.
Seems that 7 is not buggy like Vista, so I worked on XP until January, now I have XP SP3 on my desktop that I left in Italy, here I brought only my laptop, and being this my main computer now, it had to work. Now I can say I trust it with 7 matched to all the software I used before, no problems at all with the software used for my job up to now, and I could even suggest it, in many things is better than XP, even if I was very happy with XP SP3 since it works almost flawlessly now. I only wish more producers could make available their software in 64 bit version, its time to move to 64 bit versions to take advantage of all the RAM, but sometimes there are compatibility issues with drivers or programs which run only in 32bit. MOREOVER, I can tell you that Windows 7 has done a lot (unexpectedly for me) for hardware detection, since almost all is recognized from the first startup (which is very good news for laptops). Now it's up to software producers keep the pace. I can assume you would do something good leaving Vista and keeping XP (for compatibility matters) or passing to 7 if you can find all the software you need.
I forgot: I installed both Office 2003 and 2007 on the same laptop, they mess things up a bit when you start one and then the other version: each time you switch they start a configuration procedure that you always have to quit, due to their conflict, but both work very fine.

I forgot to mention: 7 has a XP mode from the Professional version, which allows you to use Windows XP virtualized by the CPU, in case it is compatible with this technology. Since most of laptops probably don't have such CPUs at the moment (mine is powerful and updated but not compatible) you can install Sun VirtualBox to use XP in case of need. I did it, but I had no need to use the virtualized XP so far, 7 is ok.

[Edited at 2010-02-24 11:34 GMT]
Collapse

Mattia Marcon
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 24, 2010

sorry duplicate...

[Edited at 2010-02-24 16:28 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:07
German to English
Runs OK on Win 7 Professional 32-bit Feb 24, 2010

I was reluctant to use the 64-bit version on my new computer, as I was afraid there might be some compatibility issues. The license transferred seamlessly (!!) and Workbench, TagEditor and MultiTerm run well.

The only problems I've had have been with older versions of other software (pre-XP) that won't run. Since these programs are not mission-critical, I'm happy to use them on my old computer as the need arises.

Jonathan MacKerron
Jonathan MacKerron  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Windows7 PROFESSIONAL 64-bit Feb 24, 2010

Paula González Fernández wrote:

Hello everyone,
Now, I mainly use the PC for work, and I always work with Trados 2007 Freelance and Multiterm 2007. I DON'T WANT TO UPGRADE (not yet) to Trados 2009. Is it possible to upgrade to Windows 7 keeping my (beloved) Trados and MT 2007????? Are they compatible? (I think I read somewhere they weren't).
Thanks very much in advance for your time and help!
Paula

PS I forgot to mention that I had Office 2007 but Trados seemed to give some problems and now I use Office 2003.

[Edited at 2010-02-05 21:36 GMT]

As mentioned elsewhere, if you buy Windows7 64-bit PROFESSIONAL (and only this version!!) you can download a free copy of the "Windows XP mode" and run both programs simultaneously in a seamless fashion. I use the XP mode for several older programs and devices that do not work under the 64-bit version. It is a simple as clicking between windows to change from Windows7 to Windows XP. I am very happy with this setup, but would have been very dissappointed had I bought the PREMIUM version, which does not allow for the XP mode.
In theory, you could also run each version on separate screens.

For information on XP mode see:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

I would recommend anyone using indispensable programs that were bought more than 5 years ago to go this route, it will save you lots of grief in the future. For example my OED still doesn't function correctly under Windows7; Oxford claims that they are "working on a fix"...
By installing the XP mode you will ensure that your XP setup will remain valid at least for the lifespan of Windows7

[Edited at 2010-02-24 14:54 GMT]

Jonathan MacKerron
German to English
+ ...
Windows7 PROFESSIONAL 64-bit Feb 24, 2010

double entry deleted by author.

[Edited at 2010-02-24 14:56 GMT]

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Works fine Feb 24, 2010

All components of SDL Trados 2007 Suite (and SDL Trados Studio 2009 for that matter), work fine with my Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits, even without XP mode (which my hardware doesn't support anyway).

By the way, Jonathan:

If you buy Windows7 64-bit PROFESSIONAL (and only this version!!) you can download a free copy of the "Windows XP mode" and run both programs simultaneously in a seamless fashion.

This is not true. Windows 7 Ultimate ALSO allows Windows XP mode, providing your hardware supports virtualisation, of course. And if by "Premium" you mean "Home Premium", then XP mode is indeed not offered.

Jonathan MacKerron
German to English
+ ...
indeed Feb 24, 2010

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

All components of SDL Trados 2007 Suite (and SDL Trados Studio 2009 for that matter), work fine with my Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits, even without XP mode (which my hardware doesn't support anyway).

By the way, Jonathan:

If you buy Windows7 64-bit PROFESSIONAL (and only this version!!) you can download a free copy of the "Windows XP mode" and run both programs simultaneously in a seamless fashion.

This is not true. Windows 7 Ultimate ALSO allows Windows XP mode, providing your hardware supports virtualisation, of course. And if by "Premium" you mean "Home Premium", then XP mode is indeed not offered.

I was only underscoring the fact that, based on my own personal experience, the XP mode does indeed run well under Windows7 Professional.
However, the issue is broader than whether or not Trados functions. I have several programs and devices that simply do not operate under the 64-bit system. And while I can buy a new scanner, it is impossible to buy a working version of e.g. Bunjes German-English Medical Dictionary, which came out in 1999 and how not been updated since.

Mattia Marcon
English to Italian
+ ...
32+64 Feb 24, 2010

Actually the good news is that in the same package you get the 32+the 64bit version, each on a separate DVD, then it's up to you to chose which one you want. Obviously if the hardware is old and you risk that the drivers have not been updated (since the hardware has no fault in itself, only nobody bothered to create new drivers, as it happpens for Linux) or your software is not working on 64 bit versions, you can install the 32 bit. The XP mode is a bit tricky since it works only on CPUs both AM... See more
Actually the good news is that in the same package you get the 32+the 64bit version, each on a separate DVD, then it's up to you to chose which one you want. Obviously if the hardware is old and you risk that the drivers have not been updated (since the hardware has no fault in itself, only nobody bothered to create new drivers, as it happpens for Linux) or your software is not working on 64 bit versions, you can install the 32 bit. The XP mode is a bit tricky since it works only on CPUs both AMD and Intel which support the virtualization, and it's not granted for all laptops even if they are new (or entry level CPUs for desktops). And the software virtualization is not so safe in my opinion, it's a mess with hardware and networks since the virtual machine manages them in a different way. BUT a windows 7 both 32 and 64 bit nowadays should work in most cases with all the software we need, provided it's working on XP or Vista (XP mode is for ALL versions starting from Professional...), and there is also a compatibility mode to force the software to run as XP, XP SP1, XP SP2, Vista, Vista SP1 and Vista SP2...not peanuts!
If serious problems arise concerning drivers and software, well, windows 7 is a great step ahead for microsoft and its lacky operating systems, maybe in some cases it's worth upgrading hardware and programs, even if it's so painful.
Collapse

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Of course the issue is broader... Feb 24, 2010

Jonathan MacKerron wrote:

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

By the way, Jonathan:

I was only underscoring the fact that, based on my own personal experience, the XP mode does indeed run well under Windows7 Professional.
However, the issue is broader than whether or not Trados functions. I have several programs and devices that simply do not operate under the 64-bit system. And while I can buy a new scanner, it is impossible to buy a working version of e.g. Bunjes German-English Medical Dictionary, which came out in 1999 and how not been updated since.

But the original question was about whether or not Trados 2007 Suite works (or not) under Windows 7

I can say that not all SDL products work under Windows 7, such as SDL TeamWorks 2008. Never got it to work. And since I can't install the XP mode because of my stupid hardware (I bought my PC in May 2009, and I certainly don't have an entry-level processor... but still, no virtualisation support - grrr!) I have to run TeamWorks on my netbook under Windows XP, and make sure the files are in a shared folder so I can work on them with my PC. Sounds like a laborious workaround, but it satisfies me for now. I'm not working for that client every day, so it doesn't bother me too much. But I really wish SDL would come up with a patch...

But all in all, I can say I am truly satisfied with Windows 7. My computer is running much faster than with Vista, and I actually have lesser problems with faulty drivers or software than with Vista. For example, I couldn't get the Van Dale Dutch-French dictionary on CD-ROM to work under Vista but it works like a charm under Windows 7, without downloading any patch of any sort. Go figure.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 and Windows 7

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »