Thread poster: Nikolaj Widenmann
Jonathan Hopkins
Jonathan Hopkins  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:00
German to English
+ ...
Jerzy to the rescue Jan 18, 2010

Many, many thanks, Jerzy! Much appreciated!

Just as you suspected and correctly diagnosed, the file was corrupted and was repaired using the "open and repair" function in the open menu.

That was a great learning experience for me, and now I know what to look for, if something like that happens again.

Much appreciated! Jezt darf ich wieder so richtig Freude dran haben

Lauren DeAre
Lauren DeAre  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:00
Spanish to English
Same problem- another "solution" Oct 1, 2010

I received the same error message as others in the forum. I always save to Word as a round-about way to back-up my work. So, when I attempted to save to word or view target as word, I got the error message, only about 15% of the translation was done.

I read this forum and tried everything: showed all tags, skipped the segments with tags, opened and repaired the source document in word, verified all tags/ segments and nothing helped.

I had already saved once prior to rec
... See more
I received the same error message as others in the forum. I always save to Word as a round-about way to back-up my work. So, when I attempted to save to word or view target as word, I got the error message, only about 15% of the translation was done.

I read this forum and tried everything: showed all tags, skipped the segments with tags, opened and repaired the source document in word, verified all tags/ segments and nothing helped.

I had already saved once prior to receiving the error message, with about 4% done and was able to save target as word document. So, it took me about 30 minutes of work time, but I was able to identify the target segment that was causing problems (for reasons entirely unknown to me- no tags, no problems when I verify) and then re-opened a new .sdlxliff from the original source (not corrupted), populated all segments I'd translated with my TM from the previous version and skipped the problem segment. I will edit and add the skipped section directly in the Word document that I deliver.

I don't think this is a long-term solution if this happens again with another document. But it has enabled me to move on from the problem and think about my deadline instead of my software...
Collapse

pmb-trans
pmb-trans  Identity Verified
English to German
Similar problem with Studio SP3 / docx files Oct 13, 2010

I upgraded to Trados SP3 (under Win 7) today. I have been working with doc (Word 2003) documents before, but have to go on with docx from time to time, now. (I've Office 2010 installed.) After launching Trados Studio, I try to open a very simple .docx file with with the only content "This in an English sentece.", created by myself via "Open document". As a result, I get the following error message;

----------------------------------------------------

Error thrown by
... See more
I upgraded to Trados SP3 (under Win 7) today. I have been working with doc (Word 2003) documents before, but have to go on with docx from time to time, now. (I've Office 2010 installed.) After launching Trados Studio, I try to open a very simple .docx file with with the only content "This in an English sentece.", created by myself via "Open document". As a result, I get the following error message;

Error thrown by a dependency of object 'Extractor' defined in 'transformed file [C:\Users\Michael Basler\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\File Types\Word2007_2.sdlfiletype]' : Initialization of object failed : Cannot instantiate Type [Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Filters.Word.FrameworkImpl.Extractor.FileParser] using ctor [Void .ctor()] : 'Ein Aufrufziel hat einen Ausnahmefehler verursacht.'
while resolving 'NativeExtractor' to '(inner object)' defined in 'transformed file [C:\Users\Michael Basler\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\File Types\Word2007_2.sdlfiletype]'
while resolving 'Parser' to '(inner object)' defined in 'transformed file [C:\Users\Michael Basler\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\File Types\Word2007_2.sdlfiletype]'

and so on (I could provide the complete file on request). Some more involved approaches (creating a project including this file etc) did not work as well. Obviously, seems to exist a problem with the filters. I did not find that very same error message in the forums (while I might have overlooked it).

Kind regards for any hint, Michael
Collapse

Tapsa
Tapsa
Local time: 15:00
English to Finnish
Problem with many filters Oct 13, 2010

pmb-trans wrote:

I seem to have similar problems with every filter that has Font mapping page in File types except Indesign INX.

As a result, I can only add INX files and simpler file types to projects in SP3 (I haven't tested every type though).

If you click Word 2010 filter (Project, Project Settings, File Types, Microsoft Word...), do you get an error message? I do (as with every file type with Font mapping page). After quitting the error message I can click the filter, but all filter subpages have dissapeared.

These filter problems may affect more those users who have other than English version of Windows (I'm not sure).

If the Word file does not have important formatting (or if it can be formatted easily after translating), save the file as plain text and add it to project (this is the only way I can add any Word source file to projects for now). The Text filter should work in SP3.

pmb-trans
pmb-trans  Identity Verified
English to German
Filter problem Oct 13, 2010

Thank you.

Tapsa wrote:

If you click Word 2010 filter (Project, Project Settings, File Types, Microsoft Word...), do you get an error message? I do (as with every file type with Font mapping page). After quitting the error message I can click the filter, but all filter subpages have dissapeared.

Yes, I do. Good finding, as this is completely independent from any input file at all. Converting to text is not really an option for me as some of my input files are seriously formatted. And, yes, I do indeed use German language Windows + Trados.

Kind regards, Michael

[Bearbeitet am 2010-10-13 20:42 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2009 - unable to save target to Word

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »