Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:10
Russian to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2015

My computer got loaded up with a bunch of junk via bintray.com, from file I stupidly downloaded. There was nothing malicious in it (AFAIK), but a lot of adware. I managed to get rid of all of it, except:
1. Whenever I open a new tab in Firefox 38.0.5, it goes to the Mail.ru homepage, even though my homepage is Firefox and my default search engine is Google. Nothing I have done puts it back the way it was. I've got nothing against Mail.ru, and can easily hit "home" to get back to Google, bu
... See more
My computer got loaded up with a bunch of junk via bintray.com, from file I stupidly downloaded. There was nothing malicious in it (AFAIK), but a lot of adware. I managed to get rid of all of it, except:
1. Whenever I open a new tab in Firefox 38.0.5, it goes to the Mail.ru homepage, even though my homepage is Firefox and my default search engine is Google. Nothing I have done puts it back the way it was. I've got nothing against Mail.ru, and can easily hit "home" to get back to Google, but I really hate that my computer was changed without my changing it!
2. Whenever I put a "b" in the URL field, "bintray.com" comes up as the first item, even though it is not alphabetically the first in my list. I never used bintray (deliberately), and the fact that it still comes up makes me suspect that it's still lurking somewhere in the computer.

Thanks for any advice!
Collapse

John Holland
John Holland  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:10
French to English
Removal instructions Jun 12, 2015

Hi Susan,

There are removal instructions in the following thread at Bleeping Computer, starting in post #4 by "Malware Response Team":
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/506430/infected-by-mailru/

Hope that helps!

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 12, 2015

That looks perfect, thanks John. It's complicated, so I will try it after I get some work done today (!)

Susan

John Holland
France
French to English
Personalized help Jun 12, 2015

Incidentally, you can get personalized help at Bleeping Computer, too, if needed. Here's a link to their guide of what to do before asking for help, which might be useful in any case:

... See more
Incidentally, you can get personalized help at Bleeping Computer, too, if needed. Here's a link to their guide of what to do before asking for help, which might be useful in any case:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Collapse

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@John Jun 15, 2015

It worked just fine, thanks so much.
Good to know about the "bleeping" site, just in case (!) I ever do anything foolish again.

Susan

John Holland
France
French to English
Excellent! Jun 15, 2015

Glad to hear their method worked. Bleeping Computer is a useful site for that kind of thing.

I'd also like to thank you for taking the time to announce the new releases of OmegaT as you so often do. I know I've been spurred to upgrade by your posts, so thanks for that, Susan.

jbaruch
jbaruch
United States
Susan, Jun 15, 2015

are you sure the malware has something to do with Bintray? I am the Developer Advocate of JFrog, the company behind Bintray, and I can assure you we never distribute any malware.
If one of the packages on Bintray contains any malware, please report it using the Feeback form on the site (or just post a link here, I'll take care of it personally).

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience!

Baruch.

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@jbaruch Jun 16, 2015

I really can't retrace my steps on this, but bintray was definitely part of the package of junk that swamped my computer. I had never heard of it before. As I said in my original post, I deleted everything I could through the Control Panel (Win 7) and MalwareBytes, but bintray kept showing in my url address field, at the top of the list, whenever I typed the letter "b," and Mail.ru kept appearing as the search engine when I opened a new Firefox tab.
After I ran the procedures recommended b
... See more
I really can't retrace my steps on this, but bintray was definitely part of the package of junk that swamped my computer. I had never heard of it before. As I said in my original post, I deleted everything I could through the Control Panel (Win 7) and MalwareBytes, but bintray kept showing in my url address field, at the top of the list, whenever I typed the letter "b," and Mail.ru kept appearing as the search engine when I opened a new Firefox tab.
After I ran the procedures recommended by John in this thread, both of those things stopped occurring.

All I can tell you is that it was from a Russian website, what I took to be a "safe" academic site, and I downloaded a pdf supposedly having to do with the psychologist Vygotsky. I don't remember the name of the pdf, because I deleted it right away when the computer started going bonkers. It was too long ago (about 2 weeks, I guess) for me to find it in my Firefox "History" -- there's too much stuff there.

Susan
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

getting invasive bintray and mail.ru off my computer

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »