Thread poster: Madeleine van Zanten
Madeleine van Zanten
Madeleine van Zanten
Switzerland
Local time: 14:18
English to French
+ ...
Sep 30, 2013

Google account hacked and stolen!!! Careful, right now Gmail accounts are being hacked by scammers from Senegal (or other countries) how send out mails to all your contacts asking for 'help' - more specifically 3500 EUR to send via Western Union. And Google refuses to give back the accounts to the rightful owner, even if they should notice that a person logged in from Switzerland suddenly logs in from Africa from one moment to the next.

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Odd Sep 30, 2013

that this can be done. When I was recently in Iran I was unable to access my gmail account precisely because I was not connecting from my usual location. These scammers must be able to overcome that somehow.

Jarnail Gill
Jarnail Gill  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:48
Member (2006)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Link your Email account to your Mobile Number Sep 30, 2013

I have 03 Email accounts. All are linked to each other in a circular way. What this mean is if someone tries to hack my Gmail account, confirmation is sent to my Yahoo account, if someone tries to hack my Yahoo account, confirmation is sent to my Hotmail account and if someone tries to hack my Hotmail account, confirmation is sent to my Gmail account.

Additionally, I get a code on my mobile, which is required to delete the account or change the password. Since my mobile is in my po
... See more
I have 03 Email accounts. All are linked to each other in a circular way. What this mean is if someone tries to hack my Gmail account, confirmation is sent to my Yahoo account, if someone tries to hack my Yahoo account, confirmation is sent to my Hotmail account and if someone tries to hack my Hotmail account, confirmation is sent to my Gmail account.

Additionally, I get a code on my mobile, which is required to delete the account or change the password. Since my mobile is in my possession, no one can hack my account.

All major email providers provide these safety measures now a days, just check your account settings.
Collapse

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
have you tried changing your password? Sep 30, 2013

I have colleagues who have had the same happen to them (fortunately when we receive an e-mail from a translator full of spelling mistakes, we know it's a fake!) and they seem to have solved the problem by simply changing their password.
Have you tried this?

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:18
English to Spanish
RE: Google account hacked and stolen Sep 30, 2013

madeleine van Zanten wrote:

Google account hacked and stolen!!! Careful, right now Gmail accounts are being hacked by scammers from Senegal (or other countries) how send out mails to all your contacts asking for 'help' - more specifically 3500 EUR to send via Western Union. And Google refuses to give back the accounts to the rightful owner, even if they should notice that a person logged in from Switzerland suddenly logs in from Africa from one moment to the next.

A couple of weeks ago, somebody in Texas tried to access my account (I am in Washington), but Google Mail refused them access and notified me, advising me to change my password, which I did right away.

In your case, somehow the hackers got access to your account, then maybe they made some changes in your account settings, and now Google probably thinks that those hackers are the rightful owners of your account.

I wonder if Google Mail has some kind of Resolution Center that you can resort to.

I hope you can have it fixed soon.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google account hacked and stolen!!!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »