Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:39
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 25, 2013

Good afternoon.

I received this morning a very basic email asking whether I could translate a text into Portuguese. A simple Word file. I opened it and suddenly my browser lost all its homepage settings and would only show www.22find.com. After researching a bit, I felt it was a virus and my computer is now being cleaned at the computer store. The sen
... See more
Good afternoon.

I received this morning a very basic email asking whether I could translate a text into Portuguese. A simple Word file. I opened it and suddenly my browser lost all its homepage settings and would only show www.22find.com. After researching a bit, I felt it was a virus and my computer is now being cleaned at the computer store. The sender's name was Gate Scott, his email was [email protected].

Does anyone have knowledge about this?

In any case, please beware!

Ana
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 16:39
English to German
Virus or not? Jan 25, 2013

Ana Vozone wrote:

A simple Word file. I opened it

Always check incoming files for viruses. Always Use Word Viewer if you don't want to edit.

The sender's name was Gate Scott, his email was [email protected].

The mail could be a normal assignment, that was infected by an unrecognized malware on the sender's infected PC. So you'll have to check with the sender.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Known scammer Jan 25, 2013

Hi Ana,

This is a known scam - please see
http://www.proz.com/post/2082209#2082209
http://www.proz.com/post/2085604#2085604

I am moving this thread to the "Scams" forum. Please be sure to read the Scams foru
... See more
Hi Ana,

This is a known scam - please see
http://www.proz.com/post/2082209#2082209
http://www.proz.com/post/2085604#2085604

I am moving this thread to the "Scams" forum. Please be sure to read the Scams forum and the Scams alert center http://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts/ - you will learn many useful things.

Natalia
Collapse

Ana Vozone
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still, possible virus infection Jan 25, 2013

Thank you all for your replies. I was not worried about the scam, I was worried about the infection from www.22find.com.

Any ideas on how to remove this self set home page? It simply does not go away and the man atthe computer store has not yetbeen able to remove it.

Many thanks,
Ana

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
First of all Jan 25, 2013

which browser do you use?

Ana Vozone
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Internet Explorer Jan 25, 2013

Internet Explorer. I have done all the steps to reset my homepages, but it does not work. If you search 22find.com on Google you will see it is a 'pest' that won't go away.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
OK Jan 25, 2013

If homepage reset does not help, please do the following:

1 - Open IE Explore
2 –Via “Tools->Internet Options”, Open “Internet Options” panel
3 – Click “General” tab
4 – Delete 22find homepage link and set a new homepage link
5 – Click “Settings” button in the “Search” area, open “Manage Add-ons” panel
6 – Remove 22find, then close “Manage Add-ons” panel
7 – Click “Apply” or “OK” on “Internet Opens” panel to save the changes

Ana Vozone
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That is what I did first, when the problem appeared Jan 25, 2013

Thank you, Natalie, that is the standard way to reset your homepages. But after trying several times this morning, I decided to take the computer to the store, where it is at this moment. The technician has so far not been able to solve the problem. That is why I am still hoping for help from Proz. Many thanks again.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Ana... Jan 25, 2013

I am NOT telling you to reset the homepage...

Have you removed the search add-on? 22find is not a virus, it is a search engine that installs into your browser. You simply need to uninstall it.

Steve Booth
Steve Booth  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
as above Jan 25, 2013

as Natalie said should work - it is not a virus but a browser hijacker, however it is also possible that there are registry keys you need to remove

can you do a system restore to an earlier date before the hijack??

if not then it will have to be regedit

that said the computer technician should be able to remove it easily enough and should be able to sort out the registry if he can't then you need to find a new computer tech

Steve

Ana Vozone
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will keep you posted Jan 26, 2013

Thanks, Natalie and Steve. The problem was it would not uninstall. Virus or not, it is something that doesn't go away simply. Will let you know what the tech did once the computer is back. Many thanks again.

Steve Booth
Steve Booth  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
in that case Jan 26, 2013

you have it somewhere on your PC and it is reinstalling itself, it's sometimes quite laborious to get rid of these things especially f you have to go into the registry, it is incredibly easy to mess this up and make a bigger mess of your PC so if you aren't confident in what you are doing in the registry best to leave it alone.

Ana Vozone
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Vicious Trojan Horse Jan 27, 2013

This 22find.com problem was, according to my computer tech, a Trojan Horse. I am pretty sure it came with the email message I got from Scott Gale asking me to do a translation, because as soon as I closed the Word file with the text, there was this new shortcut on my desktop saying 22find.

The result of the infection was not only my browsers being hijacked, but also knowing that there was something bad inside my computer and being unable to pinpoint what it was exactly. So, the comp
... See more
This 22find.com problem was, according to my computer tech, a Trojan Horse. I am pretty sure it came with the email message I got from Scott Gale asking me to do a translation, because as soon as I closed the Word file with the text, there was this new shortcut on my desktop saying 22find.

The result of the infection was not only my browsers being hijacked, but also knowing that there was something bad inside my computer and being unable to pinpoint what it was exactly. So, the computer tech had to reinstall Windows. I am now "picking up the pieces" reinstalling Trados, Office and other software. I expect to have problems with Office, as my license was for Office 2007 and it is not available anymore at Microsoft's download section

So this was, to me, a pretty catastrophic episode. I do have a laptop with all my usual programmes, but truly dislike working on laptops.

Recommendations? I do not know what to say to help colleagues avoid a similar situation. I hope everything is now clean.

I feel this post should be moved to Trojan Horses or viruses, under the title 22find.com. There is quite a lot of information on the Internet about this, so it might be worth giving this bug some importance.

Many thanks, Natalie and Steve, for your help!
Collapse

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Ana Jan 27, 2013

Maybe there was some other trojan in your computer, or your comp techie wanted to look as helpful as possible... however, 22find.com is not a trojan, this is simply a search page which embeds into your browser like many other similar add-ons (including Google toolbar, AVG search add-on etc.)

It builds into the browser at intentional or unintentional clicking of some link or icon which was obviously in your case.

Your thread was about Gate Scott scam, so I have moved it
... See more
Maybe there was some other trojan in your computer, or your comp techie wanted to look as helpful as possible... however, 22find.com is not a trojan, this is simply a search page which embeds into your browser like many other similar add-ons (including Google toolbar, AVG search add-on etc.)

It builds into the browser at intentional or unintentional clicking of some link or icon which was obviously in your case.

Your thread was about Gate Scott scam, so I have moved it to the scams forum. However, as it is mostly about removal of 22find.com add-on, I am moving it to the Safe computing forum.

Natalia

[Edited at 2013-01-27 11:03 GMT]
Collapse

Ana Vozone
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Possible source of this problem Jan 28, 2013

After having had to reinstall all software in my computer, I realized I was missing a programme that I had before, Foxit Reader.

While looking for the download site, I came across this article which might explain the problem I had. I hope this helps pinpoint the source of the problem.... See more
After having had to reinstall all software in my computer, I realized I was missing a programme that I had before, Foxit Reader.

While looking for the download site, I came across this article which might explain the problem I had. I hope this helps pinpoint the source of the problem.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2025154/foxit-reader-security-flaw-reportedly-allows-attack.html

Needless to say, I did not download Foxit Reader!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

22find.com problem

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »