Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:08
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mar 5, 2010

I installed Adblocker under my Chrome browser. It does block banners in online newspapers, but not all advertisements. Among others I would like to block those ads on the proz.com mainpage (SDL group buys and that stuff), because I'm tired of scrolling down every time I refresh the page.
Does anyone of you know of a combination of browser and adblocker that does the trick?

Regards
Heinrich

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:08
English to Polish
AdMuncher? Mar 5, 2010

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I installed Adblocker under my Chrome browser. It does block banners in online newspapers, but not all advertisements. Among others I would like to block those ads on the proz.com mainpage (SDL group buys and that stuff), because I'm tired of scrolling down every time I refresh the page.
Does anyone of you know of a combination of browser and adblocker that does the trick?

Regards
Heinrich

Have you tried AdMuncher? Is not free, but I guess it's worth its price.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
AdMuncher? Mar 5, 2010

Wojciech Froelich wrote:

Are you saying that AdMuncher blocks the advertisements on ProZ.com that Heinrich was talking about?

Zoltán Kulcsár
Zoltán Kulcsár  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
no adblocker will do that for you Mar 5, 2010

because you are trying to hide a "built-in" part of the page, not just a banner. You may try to block certain adresses or elements, but you may filter out important information too, I'm afraid

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
English to German
Firefox/Adblock Plus Mar 5, 2010

I use this combination and I don't see any ads on proz.com ...

EDIT: Correction, I do see a small "Group Buy" box that currently offers "TO3000 & 6 months ProZ.com professional membership", but I don't really consider that an ad per se, as it's a proz.com offer. It's not an external ad.

Adblock Plus allows you to choose which elements to hide, so you might be able to hide even that, but I doubt it.

[Edited at 2010-03-05 13:12 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same result Mar 5, 2010

With Firefox and Adblock plus the page looks exactly the same as with Chrome and Adblock. I guess Zoltán is right and this code cannot be discarded. Thanks all the same, Jalapeno!

Regards
Heinrich

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
What group buys ;) ? Mar 5, 2010

I use Firefox and Ad Block Plus and am very pleased. Occasionally it misses something but you can "teach" it by telling it to block a missed ad. I'm not sure which group buys you mean. I don't think you can get rid of the one on the right just under Quick Poll (currently TO3000 and 6 months' membership), because it's a defined site menu.

Edited for typo.

[Edited at 2010-03-05 14:15 GMT]

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
I don't think so... Mar 5, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

Wojciech Froelich wrote:

Are you saying that AdMuncher blocks the advertisements on ProZ.com that Heinrich was talking about?

I guess it doesn't block this part of the page by default, but I use AdMuncher on my desktop PC (in Windows environment) and I am really happy with that tool. It's not limited to a single browser, you can block HTML-based ads in any application.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:08
Member (2008)
Italian to English
This combo works Mar 5, 2010

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Regards
Heinrich

I would recommend Firefox (always make sure you have the latest version) with the following add-ons:

Adblock Plus
Targeted Advertising Cookie Opt-out (TACO)
Better Privacy

I'm not bothered by any kind of ads at all, on this site or anywhere else, for 99.9% of the time.

But note: Adblock plus alone won't stop all the other stuff. The other 2 add-ons will though.

I would stay away from Chrome altogether since the whole purpose of Google products is to collect information about you and your browsing patterns.

[Edited at 2010-03-05 17:24 GMT]

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Another one that works Mar 9, 2010

I use Opera - it has a brilliant point and shoot ad blocking feature built in (right click menu), which gives me a great deal of pleasure to use. Of course, I am easily amused!

ProZ becomes ad-free, and so do all the other pages I use a lot. When I'm forced to use IE for some reason, I'm amazed that anyone could ever manage to read the content on many pages - there are so many jumping, dancing adverts, I get a headache just looking at them.

See more
I use Opera - it has a brilliant point and shoot ad blocking feature built in (right click menu), which gives me a great deal of pleasure to use. Of course, I am easily amused!

ProZ becomes ad-free, and so do all the other pages I use a lot. When I'm forced to use IE for some reason, I'm amazed that anyone could ever manage to read the content on many pages - there are so many jumping, dancing adverts, I get a headache just looking at them.

Collapse

Michael Mestre
Michael Mestre
France
English to French
+ ...
Try flashblock (and maybe noscript) as well Mar 9, 2010

While it is not exactly an ad-blocker, flashblock disables all the flash widgets on webpages, and replaces them with empty rectangles. You can enable them selectively by clicking on the rectangles, or even decide to allow the whole site.

It has several advantages:
-Most ads nowadays use flash (especially the animated, annoying ones)
-CPU-intensive (and generally useless) flash widgets are also disabled

The problem is that it is not as configurable as the nos
... See more
While it is not exactly an ad-blocker, flashblock disables all the flash widgets on webpages, and replaces them with empty rectangles. You can enable them selectively by clicking on the rectangles, or even decide to allow the whole site.

It has several advantages:
-Most ads nowadays use flash (especially the animated, annoying ones)
-CPU-intensive (and generally useless) flash widgets are also disabled

The problem is that it is not as configurable as the noscript plugin (give it a try as well) and it seems that there is no option to make it remember to always allow a given widget on a given site - on some websites it can be tiring to activate all the widgets by hand.
There is a whitelist for whole sites, though (you can choose to unblock all the widgets from a given host).

Try the "Le Monde" website (www.lemonde.fr) with and without flashblock to see how much of a difference in usability it can make.

PS : noscript is more drastic and will block more ads, but it also disables a lot of useful functions on websites, so you often have to struggle to de-activate some hosts by hand while you visit the site. But it is a great tool as well.

[Edited at 2010-03-09 11:10 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:08
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I tried Le Monde Mar 9, 2010

Michael Mestre wrote:

Try the "Le Monde" website (www.lemonde.fr) with and without flashblock to see how much of a difference in usability it can make.

I did try Flashblock once and didn't like it because it's intrusive.

I've just visited that website using Firefox + the various add-ons I recommended in my previous post.

I navigated around the site for a while and could not find any ads of any kind.

[Edited at 2010-03-09 11:24 GMT]

Krzysztof Łesyk
Krzysztof Łesyk  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:08
Japanese to English
+ ...
Element Hiding Helper Mar 10, 2010

I'm not using Chrome, so can't help with that, but for Firefox there is a companion extension to Adblock Plus - it's called "Element Hiding Helper" and is available here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4364

It helps with adding element hiding rules to Adblock - it won't stop the added elements (like DIVs, tables and such) from downloading, but it will make
... See more
I'm not using Chrome, so can't help with that, but for Firefox there is a companion extension to Adblock Plus - it's called "Element Hiding Helper" and is available here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4364

It helps with adding element hiding rules to Adblock - it won't stop the added elements (like DIVs, tables and such) from downloading, but it will make them invisible and collapse the space they were occupying - you can hide any element in any page you want - not just the ads.

Hope it helps.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I installed AdMuncher Mar 17, 2010

It helps a lot. This is more effective than those AdBlockers, because the ads are stopped from loading altogether. So surfing becomes much faster.

Regards
Heinrich

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Collecting info vs making it up Mar 17, 2010

Tom in London wrote:

I would stay away from Chrome altogether since the whole purpose of Google products is to collect information about you and your browsing patterns.

Interesting assertion, I wonder if you can back it up with any actual facts.
Chrome is an open source browser, if there was any sneaky report-back-to-Google functionality hidden in the code, it would have been found out long ago and we would all have heard about it.

Google does love to collect information about everyone and everything, but they don't habitually break laws by doing it in secret without permission. They don't build spy code into their browser, they just make their services (mail, search etc.) record your info when you are logged in (and probably also when you're not).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Effective ad-blocker?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »