Beware of Spam spreading through translators and translation agencies contact list
Thread poster: Susmith Sudarsanan
Susmith Sudarsanan
Susmith Sudarsanan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 21:09
Member (2008)
English to Malayalam
+ ...
Jun 18, 2008

Today evening I got a mail with the below matter from one of the translation outsourcer based in US. I saw a link along with that, which I felt suspicious. So I marked it as spam and went on with my business. But a few hours later I got two mail with same content from one of the agencies in India. When I went through the details of the mail, I found that the mail is send to all the people in their friend list. Since it is spreading through the contact list of translators, I thought of posting it... See more
Today evening I got a mail with the below matter from one of the translation outsourcer based in US. I saw a link along with that, which I felt suspicious. So I marked it as spam and went on with my business. But a few hours later I got two mail with same content from one of the agencies in India. When I went through the details of the mail, I found that the mail is send to all the people in their friend list. Since it is spreading through the contact list of translators, I thought of posting it here. If some of you who read this article happens to come across this email, just delete it instantly without clicking on the link.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,
How are u doing these days?Yesterday I found a web of a

large trading company from china,which is an agent of all

the well-known digital product factories,and facing to both

wholesalers,retailsalers,and personal customer all over the

world. They export all kinds of digital products and offer

most competitive and reasonable price and high quality goods

for our clients,so i think we you make a big profit if we do

business with them.And they promise they will provide the

best after-sales-service.In my opinion we can make a trial

order to test that. Look forward to your early reply!
The Web address:http://ygftc8 88.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collapse

Laurie Price
Laurie Price  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
not just spam! Jun 19, 2008

Pretty recently a very similar message w/the subject line: Hi was sent to everyone on my contact list. And that was just the beginning of a really awful onslaught of seemingly random emails being sent to all of my contacts.

I suggest that you delete these emails immediately, and change your passwords on all of your accounts! I changed the password on the account and deleted my contact list from the account, which stopped the spam deluge. I also changed email accounts, which made eve
... See more
Pretty recently a very similar message w/the subject line: Hi was sent to everyone on my contact list. And that was just the beginning of a really awful onslaught of seemingly random emails being sent to all of my contacts.

I suggest that you delete these emails immediately, and change your passwords on all of your accounts! I changed the password on the account and deleted my contact list from the account, which stopped the spam deluge. I also changed email accounts, which made everyone on my list happier ...

I don't know where this mail came from, originally, but my account was hacked into, my contact list stolen, and my Moneybookers account was emptied! I also received emails from Paypal, et al, informing me of possibly suspicious activity on my account.

Moneybookers sent me an email saying they suspected suspicious activity on my account AFTER it was emptied and I'd already sent them an email asking about the last 2 transactions on the account. Their reply claimed zero responsibility for anything and didn't really address my queries. I closed the account .... since there was nothing left in it.

I also installed Kaspersky anti.virus and anti-spyware -- and now I feel better protected.
Collapse

Karolina Suliokiene
Karolina Suliokiene  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:39
Member (2007)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Unauthhorised activity on Paypal - account emptied Jun 23, 2008

Attention all!!!

Today an hour ago or so I received an e-mail from Paypal confirming ''my'' payment made as if to:
''Business: Aeria Games & Entertainment
Contact Email: [email protected]''.
The payment was of USD 50.00 (thank God, I don't keep all my payments on Paypal, after reading through alert messages on these forums, I transfer every payment directly to my bank account). So the last USD
... See more
Attention all!!!

Today an hour ago or so I received an e-mail from Paypal confirming ''my'' payment made as if to:
''Business: Aeria Games & Entertainment
Contact Email: [email protected]''.
The payment was of USD 50.00 (thank God, I don't keep all my payments on Paypal, after reading through alert messages on these forums, I transfer every payment directly to my bank account). So the last USD 50.00 were emptied. The strange thing is, that I didn't share my paypal password, security questions with anybody, of course. I reported it to the security centre immediately, and the automatic e-mail I received from them was as follows, quoting:
''.... Security Advice: When you log in to your PayPal account, be sure to open up a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the PayPal URL to make sure you are on the real PayPal website.
For more information on protecting yourself from fraud, please review the Security Tips in our Security Centre''.

And that's exactly what I do every time. Just a rhetorical question - How many ''Paypal websites are ther in total???? If, as it sounds from their e-mail, not real Paypal websites exist, how come they haven't been eliminated yet???

If you have experienced anything like this, please inform if you managed to get the problem sorted and got your money back.

Thank you
Karolina Suliokiene
Lithuanian translator
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:39
English to German
+ ...
Did you check your *real* account? Jun 23, 2008

Hi Karolina,

So the last USD 50.00 were emptied.

Was the money really debited?
Such fake payment 'confirmations' are a commonly-used variant of phishing - the idea is to get you to click on a link in that mail (guess what - this won't lead you to the real Paypal website), and you provide your login details, after which your account might be emptied.

As long as you never click on any such fake messages, you should be reasonably safe.

Best regards,
Ralf

Susmith Sudarsanan
Susmith Sudarsanan  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 21:09
Member (2008)
English to Malayalam
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New kind of spam targeting Indian translators Jul 10, 2008

I found the following mail in my mail box today morning.

---------------------------------------------------

HINDI SPEAKING INDIAN NEEDED

DEAR SIR/ MADAM,

MY NAME IS UCHE VICTOR ESQ. A BUSINESS CONSULTANT BASED IN NIGERIA, WEST AFRICA. I GOT YOUR ESTEEMED CONTACT DURING MY COMPREHENSIVE SEARCH AT THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE HERE FOR A RELIABLE AND TRUSTWORTHY INDIVIDUAL IN YOUR COUNTRY.

MY P
... See more

---------------------------------------------------

HINDI SPEAKING INDIAN NEEDED

DEAR SIR/ MADAM,

MY NAME IS UCHE VICTOR ESQ. A BUSINESS CONSULTANT BASED IN NIGERIA, WEST AFRICA. I GOT YOUR ESTEEMED CONTACT DURING MY COMPREHENSIVE SEARCH AT THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE HERE FOR A RELIABLE AND TRUSTWORTHY INDIVIDUAL IN YOUR COUNTRY.

MY PROPOSAL: THERE IS A MULTI-NATIONAL COMPANY BASED IN EUROPE.THIS COMPANY PROCURES MOST OF THEIR RAW MATERIALS FROM YOUR COUNTRY (INDIA) SINCE THE PAST 5 YEARS.THE COMPANY WILL PAY SOME PERCENTAGE UPFRONT UPON VERIFICATION OF THE SAMPLES OF THE MATERIALS.

I AM LOOKING FOR A RELIABLE INDIAN BUSINESS MAN THAT UNDERSTANDS THE INDIAN LOCAL LANGUAGE WHO WILL ASSIST ME IN CONTACTING THE LOCAL DEALER OF THESE PRODUCT IN INDIA. I HAVE CALLED THE LOCAL DEALER MANY TIMES, BUT COULD NOT UNDERSTAND THE LOCAL LANGUAGE, TO ENABLE ME NEGOTIATE THE TERMS OF THE SUPPLY WITH THEM.

THIS PROPOSAL IS RISK FREE AND WILL BE ANOTHER INCOME GENERATING BUSINESS OUTSIDE YOUR SPECIALIZATION. I WILL GIVE YOU MORE DETAILS, OF THIS PROPOSALS THE MOMENT I HEAR FROM YOU, AND I WILL PERSONALLY COME TO YOUR COUNTRY TO SUPERVISE THE SUPPLY.

PLEASE KINDLY SEND YOUR REPLY TO MY ABOVE STATED EMAIL ADDRESS FOR MORE DETAILS AND YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATIONS AS STATED BELOW:

YOUR FULL NAME:

YOUR CONTACT ADDRESS:

YOUR DIRECT PHONE NO:

YOUR OCCUPATION:

I ANTICIPATE HEARING FROM YOU URGENTLY.

BEST REGARDS,
UCHE VICTOR ESQ.

--------------------------------------------------
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:39
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I delete without reading Jul 10, 2008

any messages from posters who don't know to take their elbow off the Shift key while writing

Uldis

Susmith Sudarsanan wrote:

help? Oct 4, 2011

I just opened my junk mail and had that email!
I didnt click the link but my pay pal is linked to my bank account.. will the $50 come out of my bank account or not?!
When i saw it i tryed thinking what i bought for that amount and didnt reconise the website!!!
so i googled and found this forum.... i sent the email as spam straight way.
Im still worried for the safty of my bank account.

PLEASE REPLY ...
See more
I just opened my junk mail and had that email!
I didnt click the link but my pay pal is linked to my bank account.. will the $50 come out of my bank account or not?!
When i saw it i tryed thinking what i bought for that amount and didnt reconise the website!!!
so i googled and found this forum.... i sent the email as spam straight way.
Im still worried for the safty of my bank account.

PLEASE REPLY

Lexii 135
Collapse

chinese proz
chinese proz
Local time: 08:39
Chinese to English
+ ...
spam Dec 18, 2011

It's disappointing but some times I found these spam quite amusing! You have to be real gullible to believe it... I simply ignore these stuff.

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Local time: 00:39
Japanese to English
SPAM: When in doubt,...throw it out! Dec 19, 2011

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Was the money really debited?
Such fake payment 'confirmations' are a commonly-used variant of phishing - the idea is to get you to click on a link in that mail (guess what - this won't lead you to the real Paypal website), and you provide your login details, after which your account might be emptied.

As long as you never click on any such fake messages, you should be reasonably safe.

This is sound advice. NEVER click links in e-mails from anyone who is not a known contact! If you have a concern about your PayPal/MoneyBookers/etc. account, ALWAYS type in the URL yourself(don't click a link!). Type the URL yourself so that you know you have the legitimate site!

Phishers and spammers try to get you to click out of reflex/without thinking...that's how they "GET" you. So always be on your toes...

When in doubt,...throw it out!

MGrant

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beware of Spam spreading through translators and translation agencies contact list

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »