Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
New choices in membership, and the largest ProZ.com campaign to date: "The Open Road"
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 02:10
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Samuel Nov 10, 2016

Thanks for going with Plus!

In previous membership purchases you entered your VAT number, and my guess is you opted to save it to your profile, so it looks like VAT was not collected on the purchase. If you would like to have that double checked, please put in a support request and one of the team can look into that for you.

In the menu that comes down when you mouse over your name at the top of the site, you'll see a li
... See more
Thanks for going with Plus!

In previous membership purchases you entered your VAT number, and my guess is you opted to save it to your profile, so it looks like VAT was not collected on the purchase. If you would like to have that double checked, please put in a support request and one of the team can look into that for you.

In the menu that comes down when you mouse over your name at the top of the site, you'll see a link to Manage your membership:

http://www.proz.com/manage-membership

From there you can see and manage all relevant information regarding your subscription. It will show you that the PayPal payment is set to be made on 15th, when the Plus package is released.
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 01:10
SITE STAFF
VAT is not charged if you enter VAT number Nov 10, 2016

Hi Samuel,

Samuel Murray wrote:
I just bought the plus package, but I have a question: will I pay EU VAT or not?

You won't be charged VAT because you entered your VAT number.

And although PayPal asked me to authorise recurring payments, no actual payment was made. What gives? (-:

Since you have an existing membership, you won't be charged for the Plus membership package until it is released on November 15. I'll try to make this clearer in the checkout form.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
Estimated value of current membership is used in discount Nov 10, 2016

Frank Feng wrote:
I have a question - I paid $144 for my current membership on July 14 and when I made pre-registration for the new Plus subscription, my remaining value of current membership was calculated as $69 - I'm not sure how this was calculated? It will be only 124 days from July 14 to Nov 15, which is about 1/3 of a year, shouldn't my remaining value be about 2/3 of $144 or some $95?

Hi Frank,

The value of your current membership used in the discount is an estimate, it's not necessarily based on the exact amount you paid. I've increased the estimated value so as to err in favor more often. On your "manage membership" page you should see that your upcoming payment is now what you expected.

Thanks,

Jason

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 06:10
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
reminder Nov 10, 2016

Hello staff,

would someone mind to finally answer my question, posted here for the last time:
http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translator_coop/307835-new_choices_in_membership_and_the_largest_prozcom_campaign_to_date_the_open_road-page3.html#2603359

... See more
Hello staff,

would someone mind to finally answer my question, posted here for the last time:
http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translator_coop/307835-new_choices_in_membership_and_the_largest_prozcom_campaign_to_date_the_open_road-page3.html#2603359

I see you have been answering questions that were published later. Your selectiveness doesn't read too user friendly.

Thank you.
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 02:10
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Tomas Nov 10, 2016

Hi Tomas,

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI wrote:

A few answers to some of the questions asked here so far. I am skipping, for the time being, questions which are already explicitly addressed in the FAQ section on the membership page

I have asked:

"we can say that membership in one of the "external channels" alone, TM-Town, costs $144 and is included in the Plus package."
http://www.proz.com/professional-membership
What are the other "external channels"?

This was not answered here, and unfortunately there are no specific details in FAQ. There is only the following:

I'm considering the Plus package and I am evaluating the extras. Please explain what is meant by "new client channels external to ProZ.com"?
The internet is going the way of the cloud, and in principle cloud technology presents the opportunity for the ProZ.com team to take steps to promote the services of ProZ.com members beyond the confines of ProZ.com. Imagine an LSP or client using, say, a mobile app to access you directly for translation or interpreting services, without ever needing to go to ProZ.com. Cloud technology makes that possible, and we have been taking steps in that direction.

and

How far along is the effort to establish that sort of "new client channel"?
Efforts are in the early stages, and in any event, it takes time for habits to change. But we believe this is the future. What we have seen so far is that client activity at TM-Town is increasing, and separately, there are a few agencies already using ProZ.com cloud services to discover the services of ProZ.com members from within their own management systems. (Some of you reading this have been contacted.) We are also in discussions to establish partnerships to promote the translation and interpreting services of ProZ.com members.

I'm afraid this sounds somewhat vague. All I can see is that it seems to have something in common with cloud solutions. What are those "cloud services" mentioned in the second section? And how come someone has been approached that way when Plus will go live only on November 15? Or the other way round, if these services/systems are not linked directly to Plus membership (as some "have been contacted" already), then it would seem this feature is not exclusive to Plus?

Please can you be more specific and name at least one external channel (TM-Town excluded) in question, which will be exclusive to Plus members?

I can consider the Plus package, but I don't wish to buy a pig in a poke.

Thank you.

I believe Henry speaks a bit on this in his video presentation, but you are right that it's not very specific. Sorry it sounds vague at the moment; as the FAQ says, the efforts are in their early stages. Some translators have already been contacted through the ProZ.com translation project management platform, currently being used by some translation companies, which is one channel of this type. Of course, a network is needed first for that kind of contact to work effectively.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
On VAT or no VAT Nov 11, 2016

Jason Grimes wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
I just bought the plus package, but I have a question: will I pay EU VAT or not?

You won't be charged VAT because you entered your VAT number.

...but that would mean that the ProZ.com office that accept my payment is in the EU, right? AFAIK, non-EU sellers don't charge EU VAT to anyone in the EU, whether the buyer has a VAT number or not.

==

I think I now also understand the discrepancy between the first screen (where VAT is mentioned) and subsequent screens (where it aint): the first screen is intended as the price for buyers who don't have a VAT number (although the VAT number is shown on that screen, it is shown in a text field, which means the user still has the option to remove the VAT number before moving to the next screen). The subsequent screens then take into account whether or not a VAT number was provided when the user moved to step 2.

And although PayPal asked me to authorise recurring payments, no actual payment was made.

Since you have an existing membership, you won't be charged for the Plus membership package until it is released on November 15.

That was what I assumed, yes, but since there was no [clear] confirmation that the subscription is actually now active, I thought I'd make extra sure.

[Edited at 2016-11-11 15:18 GMT]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
We do have to Nov 11, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:
...but that would mean that the ProZ.com office that accept my payment is in the EU, right? AFAIK, non-EU sellers don't charge EU VAT to anyone in the EU, whether the buyer has a VAT number or not.

When ProZ.com first went online we did not have to collect VAT, but in 2003 the EU started requiring us to. See: http://www.ibls.com/internet_law_news_portal_view.aspx?id=1746& In respecting this law, ProZ.com collects VAT and pays it to each country (by way of our contact country, Germany.)

The best solution for everyone is if you can provide a VAT number.

Eric MARRET
Eric MARRET  Identity Verified
France
English to French
not possible to pay membership in Euro currency! Nov 15, 2016

Hi,

I am a paying member since 2006. I decided to subscribe to the Plus option today because of the training videos (not willing yet to upload my TMs into TM-Town servers).

As far as I remember, I always paid in Euro using a Visa card; today I had to pay in US $.
This means I will be charged change fees on top of the "purchase outside the EU fee" for a yet unknown amount.

I am very surprised and quite unhappy with this step back. One site staff I cont
... See more
Hi,

I am a paying member since 2006. I decided to subscribe to the Plus option today because of the training videos (not willing yet to upload my TMs into TM-Town servers).

As far as I remember, I always paid in Euro using a Visa card; today I had to pay in US $.
This means I will be charged change fees on top of the "purchase outside the EU fee" for a yet unknown amount.

I am very surprised and quite unhappy with this step back. One site staff I contacted through the chat window said you (ProZ) were working on this...
It's been working fine for ten years, what has to be worked on?

I am also quite surprised that none of the European members who did renew didn't mention this situation in the forum.

[Edited at 2016-11-15 13:11 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I did mention it... Nov 15, 2016

Eric MARRET wrote:
I am also quite surprised that none of the European members who did renew didn't mention this situation in the forum.

I mentioned it. How much is the extra fee that you have to pay?

Eric MARRET
Eric MARRET  Identity Verified
France
English to French
fees unknown yet Nov 15, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

Eric MARRET wrote:

I mentioned it. How much is the extra fee that you have to pay?

Sorry Samuel, I didn't see your post mentioning this issue.

I will know the exact fees in a couple of days I suppose, once Visa transfer the transaction to my bank.
I'll keep you posted

[Edited at 2016-11-15 22:28 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
If you use Paypal there is no extra fee Nov 15, 2016

Hello

I have paid with Paypal and no extra fee was charged.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
No exchange fee? Nov 15, 2016

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Hello

I have paid with Paypal and no extra fee was charged.

AFAIK, PayPal does charge a fee on payments involving a currency conversion.

"We receive a wholesale rate quote from our bank twice a day and add 2.5% to determine the retail foreign exchange rate to apply to transactions that involve a currency conversion." - https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/Where-can-I-find-PayPal's-currency-exchange-rates-FAQ1976

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
No... no fee/No conversion in my case Nov 15, 2016

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

AFAIK, PayPal does charge a fee on payments involving a currency conversion.

"We receive a wholesale rate quote from our bank twice a day and add 2.5% to determine the retail foreign exchange rate to apply to transactions that involve a currency conversion." - https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/Where-can-I-find-PayPal's-currency-exchange-rates-FAQ1976

However I have set 4 currencies in my pp account, including us dollars, I did no conversion, anyway everyone can set us dollars as one of the currencies in no time in his/her pp account. (humble advise)..

[Edited at 2016-11-15 15:46 GMT]

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
the next level of marketing Nov 15, 2016

Hi,
I have read every single post in this discussion and still haven't any clue about the new services being offered.
This is simply ridiculous. You cannot start selling empty words that can mean anything like "Advantages in client channels external to ProZ.com", "Basket" of goods and services from ProZ.com partners".
What are we really buying and what are you really selling?
The only thing I have seen is the library of videos.
Moreover, I don't want to be charged
... See more
Hi,
I have read every single post in this discussion and still haven't any clue about the new services being offered.
This is simply ridiculous. You cannot start selling empty words that can mean anything like "Advantages in client channels external to ProZ.com", "Basket" of goods and services from ProZ.com partners".
Moreover, I don't want to be charged automatically on my renewal date

[Edited at 2016-11-15 17:26 GMT]
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Crowdfounding-like... Nov 15, 2016

Bruno Depascale wrote:

Hi,
Moreover, I don't want to be charged automatically on my renewal date

More than once I think I read something along the lines of "The offer will depend on how many people switch to Plus". That basically sounded like a Kickstarter project, where the "size" and goals of a project depend on how many people pledge to it... While I can understand a similar approach for a start-up or a totally new project, not so much for an already existing "product". It's a bit as if Apple or Samsung announced the next version of their flagships using "Totally cool" under "Specifications", and added that the amount of stuff crammed into it depended on how many preorders they got before launch...

At any rate, I do agree that the sheer amount of marketing efforts and strategies I've seen deployed here is quite astounding (and worrying, as far as I'm concerned)...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New choices in membership, and the largest ProZ.com campaign to date: "The Open Road"

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »